How to make this game go from 6/10 on Steam to 9/10

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

Btw. we are even still supporting our first game S1914, and are currently preparing a large Revamp for it, that will be released soon.
    Really? I think I'll try it out. Tell me when the release is out.
    "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
  • There will be a big news on the S1914 website. Please follow that if you want to be in the loop. There we already posted multiple updates about the Revamp process and what to expect. Launch will be probably some time near the end of the year.

Oh btw., Call of War is more successful than ever and has more active users right now than ever before since it's launch, so we didn't even hit the peak yet and are confident that we will grow much further. It really would not make much sense to stop developing or supporting Call of War. And that's no PR statement, that's just logical. So please don't believe in every user theory you read here in the forums. :)
  • I am an experienced player and have seen my fair share of gold spenders wreck a game, but I must say that it has happened in less than 10% of the games I have been in. In most games there seems to be some gold spending (including me), but not game changing amounts. That being said, Bytro should allow "gold free" games to be created. In those games no gold is spent and no gold is earned. No gold for the winners, and no gains towards achievements. However, and some math would have to be done, Bytro of course cannot allow unlimited number of gold free games to be created or they lose their income. Therefore, some percentage of games can be gold free for each map type, and to get into those games would have to be first come first serve. What that percentage is I don't know, 20-25% maybe.
  • To be honest, you guys may be having 'active' players but how many people are you retaining? How many people are making accounts and playing for more than a week? (Not trying to insult or be disrespectful, just asking Critical [?] questions) I'd just like to know, because that seems important. To me, it shouldn't matter how many people make accounts and play a couple games, it should matter how many people make accounts and STAY on Call of War, and continue to play and support the game. Again, I don't mean any disrespect.
    "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
  • @JCS Darragh Also simply look at ranking gives you some numbers. CoW has almoast nearby 150k-170k at least lvl25 players. average lvl25 player has 5 games joined and played longer then 3 but less then 6 weeks.

CoW has also nearby 40k-45K at least lvl40 players. Average lvl 40 player has 10 - 12 games joined and at least 3 monthes playtime.

CoW has also over 6k over lvl 60 players, average player lvl60 has at least 30 joined games and more then 1 year playtime.
  • Also, some people may have played many games, but because they are noobs, their rank didn't rise much.
    "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
  • Hello fellow players and devs,

I have to agree with freezy in that the game is not being developed to be a pay to win experience so that people can make money out of it. I am not a game developer myself but I think a large part in the fun of being one is actually making a succesful game that is fun to play. Call of war is a great strategy game, its slow pace is not for everyone but the strategy behind it makes it a fun game to play.

If the game would only apeal to gold players that like to spend gold they would soon go out of a playerbase. In order to win, gold players need to be able to win against other players. With only gold players around a lot of gold players would quit and then the game would grind to a halt. Even though no one likes to fight gold players, they do pay for the game we all like to play. Not to long ago I played on a europe map and had a decent conversation with the person I was in a war with, he obviously used a LOT of gold. So I asked him how much he used on the level, he said he used 500 000 gold so far and had 1.5milion in reserve. The fight I had with this person was on the border of Turkey/Caucasus and lasted for two weeks before hefty gold use made him break through. At this point I just joined him and we formed a coalition. My point is that I, as a free player held out against 500k gold just because I strategised accordingly.

A lot of players I encounter that use gold are strategicly very poor players. Makes sense since they just solve their problems with gold instead of learning from their mistakes. I win versus gold players without using any gold myself quite often. Sure it is very hard and super anoying, honestly its like playing chess and every time you take the queen there is a new one. However, I do realize that this person pays for the game I like to play. Also, a lot of players that lose against so called 'gold players' actually don't. I have played on multiple maps where people said that I won because I used gold while I am pretty sure I did not use any at all.

There is also an abundance of players that are just not very good and complain about gold as soon as someone gets the upper hand in a map. Usually these are people that just make nothing but huge divisions of light tanks and then expect things to go well for them simply because they attacked someone first. With achievements around every player higher than level 30 has at least some gold to spend for 'emergencies' like this. So your gold user opponent can also just be someone that has some gold from achievements and decided to spend it on defending against your attack.

I also get the idea that some people get a little salty when they lose because they are somewhat stat obsessed and want to show as many maps won out of played as possible. I mean really, whats the big deal about leaving a map if someone pays to win a map in the game you like to play?

Kind regards,

Edepedable
  • I must admit I got salty the first time I got defeated by a golder. However, I may disagree on your point that golders are just bad at the game. Some golders use their gold accordingly (fortunately, I've never met one) and put their tactics into use. Although this is rare, I think it's possible. I believe control must be put into this because it has annoyed a wide variety and number of players, but I respect their view. Golders can be nice people, as one I met in a recent game. He was a heavy golder, but he doesn't have to be if experienced people teach correct strategy so he doesn't have to waste so much gold. I also must admit I myself use a little bit of gold that I earned into rising morale on important cities that I just captured. However, I don't have a large enough base to spend a lot. Players who complain about it here may be salty, but they're just mad that their hard work has been decimated not by strategy (usually), but by money. I like CoW and I think it trains my brain a lot, despite the "gaming is bad" stereotype. If we could just find a balance between revenue and players' satisfaction, the game could be a whole lot better.

• So your reason for not agreeing with me is because there could be capable gold players out there? Very true, there indeed could be. But you and I have both never encountered them. Makes sense since there is no reason for them to get good at the game really.

I find gold to not be that much of a problem since it gives little to no advantage. Everything you can do with gold you can do without it. I don't think the game developers can ever create a gold cap because of how it would look. It would make using gold feel like cheating, it is not. I see your point about it not being fun when all your strategic effort goes to waste but still, those people pay for the game we like to play.

If you are so against people using gold than you as someone experienced giving any sort of advise to people that use gold is not a very smart thing to be doing. Milk the gold users for as much as you can to have them spend more than they can or want to. Means ultimately more funds go into improving the game XD It is also a much, much more satisfying victory that way.
  • :/

You can still pay the developers and not buy gold, this thing called HIgh Command, but it provides essentially nothing for the players other than being able to do a few more things, unlike in CoN where you have to have their version of High Command to literally create your own game but yeah.

Heavy gold users are not that fun to play with, They are essentially just use tactics like the Soviet Union, mass infantry waves and tanks. A few years ago I had a lot of people at my school hooked on CoW, and we had massive school battles with everyone playing against each other and creating their own factions, a generally good time. However, there was always one kid that had a blank check and could buy a lot of gold, and I bet you know how that went.
    "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
  • JCS Darragh wrote:

A few years ago I had a lot of people at my school hooked on CoW, and we had massive school battles with everyone playing against each other and creating their own factions, a generally good time
    If only my school had that. Right now, I have only one friend who's an enthusiast at it, and another who believes it's a bit slow for his pace of gaming. Feel lucky, @JCS Darragh.

• With my "cool" classmates who only bother playing Fortnite, CSGO, TF2, Escape from Tarkov, etc, I'm not sure I can do much of an effect, especially with me being the nerd and "outcast" in my grade. Most my friends are nerds too, and they got lots of work. How did you persuade them to play, @JCS Darragh? It's pretty hard for me.

• Hello fellow players,

JCS Darragh wrote:

Heavy gold users are not that fun to play with, They are essentially just use tactics like the Soviet Union, mass infantry waves and tanks. A few years ago I had a lot of people at my school hooked on CoW, and we had massive school battles with everyone playing against each other and creating their own factions, a generally good time. However, there was always one kid that had a blank check and could buy a lot of gold, and I bet you know how that went.
    That.sounds.Awesome!! :thumbsup:

Sadly Call of War was not a thing back when I was in school..

But damn if the whole school was playing Call of War and one person using gold could wipe you all off the map you just were not very good at Call of War yet.

One of the main advantages gold users have is that they only need one IC to train a huge army in minuites that would take a non gold user multiple IC's and a few days to train. The solution? Focused fire power, have their divisions fight yours in a frontline battle so they can not use gold to heal and then use multiple laires of ranged weapons, rockets and airplanes to attack the enemy division. Even if you will lose troops this way this will cost the golder valuable units.
    And especially when you are with a lot of people versus one golder, destroy every building they own. Rocekts are quite good at this. This will make them having to spend exponential amounts of gold to buy resources, buildings AND units.
    There are some things I do when fighting a gold user to prevent unwelcome surprises:

- Try and find out who a the heavy gold users in a map are.
    - Find out at what times they are online and what times they are not.
    - Exchange messenges with them to get a feel for who they are (age, country they live in, friendly or not).
    - Analyze their player profiles.
    - DO NOT fight frontline battles in provinces with an IC (Prevents them from training units on the spot so you can not take their province). I try to take their provinces when they are not online.
    - Do not fight a gold user until your economy is a lot bigger than theirs.
    - Have allies that can divert attention/ give you resources or of if they are capable players, do damage to.
    - Advance slowly, wait for airsupport, have reserve troops at the ready, never send in all my troops at once (rocket danger).

I find fighting gold users is a lot like the way the ocean comes in and rolls out. You advance some, they have units again so you let them advance on you and attack on the retreat. This gives you a major advantage if you have ranged weaponry that you can exploit if your economy is bigger than theirs.

Always remember, people can run out of Gold to!

The biggest favor you can do yourself I think is an attitude change, they pay for the game we like to play. People that pay for gold are awesome!

Kind regards,

Edepedable
  • Right now, other than lowering your real life bank account, there is no down side to using gold. What if there was a cost? Here are some suggestions:

If you rush a unit it is weaker - reflecting lower training - so starts at say 75% health. Rushing a unit also lowers the morale in the province it was produced. Costs more resources.

Similar ideas for rushing buildings - they start at lower health and maybe don't function fully for a while.

Just some thoughts...

PS This is good for business too as gold users will spend more gold to overcome these handicaps... :)
  • Is this post meant to be satire? Palm trees? Rainbow dolphin skins? I've recently changed my forum u/n but I've been playing this game for over two years.

1) I've been on gold-sprees and got schooled real quickly by experienced players. Now I rarely (if ever) use gold and have watched players spend their tax-return on a round; only to get drawn out for 60+ days and end up quitting. That is the balance of CoW.

2) There will NEVER be a limit on gold usage. It pays the bills and keeps developments coming. My solution to this issue was... If I notice a spammer with their dad's Black Card in a round, I leave and find a new round instead of trying to match it.

3) Gold usage is not a bad thing. Yes it can ruin a round, but when used wisely will give you a much needed production boost from time-to-time...
    What makes the grass grow?
  • EmperorEmp wrote:

3) Gold usage is not a bad thing. Yes it can ruin a round, but when used wisely will give you a much needed production boost from time-to-time...
    I guess you don't see the "much needed production boost" as the means by which the round IS ruined...

When used moderately I have no problem with it - after all if you win games you earn a very modest amount of gold which is meant to be spent. I don't mind people spending modest amounts of money for some extra gold. But my time is valuable to me, I spend a significant portion of my "free" time playing this game. I don't want to be forced out because someone has no talent but unlimited access to "Black Card".

I played a game where a guy in my coalition was an obscene gold user. I was watching him approach an enemy capital and saw him capture the province next to it, build a factory, infrastructure, increased morale and then built 5 light tanks in the space of 5 minutes to attack the capital. He didn't care if tanks were the worst possible unit to attack an urban province, when the first 5 died he'd just build 5 more. This was not a one of - it was a regular occurrence. During a conversation with him he said "the game is basically like risk"!

I like Risk, but I like to think that CoW is a lot more nuanced...
  • Since this discussion seems to be intent on denouncing gold it is now closed.
    War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
    Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<