Teaser: WebGL Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One player that I chatted with was not able to see the WebGL stuff on his 11 year old computer, even though that computer was top of the line at that point. After a few minutes of research I suggested to check the video card drivers, and they had not been updated in 11 years 8| I am pleased to report that with updated drivers for the video card that the webGL test links were indeed functional.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

One player that I chatted with was not able to see the WebGL stuff on his 11 year old computer, even though that computer was top of the line at that point. After a few minutes of research I suggested to check the video card drivers, and they had not been updated in 11 years 8| I am pleased to report that with updated drivers for the video card that the webGL test links were indeed functional.
      Updating all your drivers and keeping your system up to date will be the answer in many of the cases where it is not working. :)
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • Diabolical wrote:

I can tell you that this is patently not true. I have had the onboard GPU burn out on three different laptops (from cracked welds caused by repeated overheating/cooling via graphic-heavy demands by some more intense games. In those instances, I was unable to use my computer (aside from Safe Mode) until I set it to utilize only the CPU for graphics. Of course, this meant I couldn't use my better games anymore, but I could still use my computers for other things.
      BTW, using a computer (PC) in Safe Mode automatically uses the CPU for graphic rendering, not the GPU....the GPU is switched off.

I didn't mean a difference in how you zoom, according to the behavior of the mouse scroll wheel. I meant that, when you DO zoom, are you going by a gradient, or by specific "stepped" levels. In other words, it's a graphical setting within the game's renderer (in this case, WebGL). You can program specific zoom levels (which the current format is clearly set to jump to on PC (though not on Mobile, it seems, which has a fake optical zoom that appears to be smooth, but really isn't)).
      But, on the new version, I assume you are removing the zoom levels (except for a max and min, I presume) such that there are only percentages of the range which would have no (or only very small) ticks. But, despite that, you should be able to create artificial zoom levels (ticks) which can be turned on by the user, such that they can simulate the effect of the older way of viewing the game. This way, you can have your cake AND eat it too.
      Yeah save mode does not utilze the GPU, but normally people are not using their PC in safe mode, and applications are not optimized for those systems either. We cannot tackle every edge case. If you have a PC which has no onboard graphic whatsoever, you sadly will have to upgrade it. But I bet 99.9% of PCs out there don't have this problem.

Regarding the zoom levels: We will have smooth zooming, like in google maps. We do not intend to include artificial zoom steps again. Once you experienced it you will for sure agree that map control is much greater than in the old version.
      But you can of course "remember" your own zoom levels by remembering how often your mouse wheel "clacks" when turning it, or specify the mouse wheel zoom amount in your windows settings, so that one small wheel turn is basically like your custom zoom level.

And yeah I know change is hard and it takes time for people to get accustomed to new things, but eventually it will happen. We cannot always cater towards the past in all cases :)
    • It is already testable in beta games for frontline pioneers. The live release will happen in some weeks when most of the issues are fixed.

For any beta player having trouble in the WebGL Beta games:
      1. Make sure that no other open browser tabs or programs on your device slow down your game. Try if the beta game runs better if you close all other tabs and programs.
      2. Update your system's graphics driver! Especially older PCs still run very old graphics drivers. Updating them should already solve most issues.
      3. If you still experience any problems after these steps, please submit a bug report and include your system information.

General notes:
      - this version is not final and still contains some missing visual features or bugs, which will be fixed soon
      - Performance, loading times and RAM consumption are still being tweaked
      - old 260p beta test maps are not yet supported and may appear buggy
    • Hello all, I am already playing it in a FLP game. One thing I notice right away is that all the tracking for my units have these moving dags (moving quite fast) It is really hard on the eyes. It would be way better to have the moving dags if you click on a unit, but not on default & by default just have the static solid line.

Otherwise it is really nice & smooth zooming in & out like was promised. Map is nicer looking too.
      Thanks.
    • freezy wrote:

And yeah I know change is hard and it takes time for people to get accustomed to new things, but eventually it will happen. We cannot always cater towards the past in all cases
      I'm OK with [some] change. But I just hope you guys don't act like Microsoft which makes gargantuan changes between editions of Office, Windows, Skype, etc., with little consideration for those in their user communities that want newer versions of the software without giant leaps in interface changes. For Windows alone, this has been a problem, over and over and over.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3