Teaser: WebGL Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Teaser: WebGL Update

Dear generals,

a new technology, which will revolutionize how you fight your battles in Call of War, is approaching. What is this modern technology you may ask. We are talking about WebGL. A state-of-the-art rendering technology which allows us to work with very fine graphical details on the map as well as provide a better performance. In the following gif you will get a first impression of what WebGL can do, but keep in mind this is not the final version, which means evenl more improvements are to come.

As you can see scrolling the map becomes more smooth and easy. We are also able to give the map and therefore the whole game a more realistic appearance by adding movement to the water, for example.

While you eagerly wait for the release, feel free to check out the following website in order to guarantee that your device is WebGL ready:
      get.webgl.org/

WebGL will be testable on beta games before we have our official release to make sure that everything works smoothly.
      If you have any questions, do not hesitate and ask in our forum.

Your Call of War team
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • First, it has been asked already but: can you turn it off? I imagine some lower end phones and maybe older pc's won't be able to handle it. then as asked before the weather? it would be cool that it would affect the movement and so, alot more realistic. or ships could be lost to hurricanes. then is it going to evolve into more interesting and realistic later on, I imagine?

thanks
      "In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance." Joseph Stalin
    • THEARBITER117 wrote:

.. maybe dynamic weather? Oh man, is there any way you could do dynamic weather now? Like snow storms in Russia or hurricanes in the ocean?

CopyPasted wrote:

.. as asked before the weather? it would be cool that it would affect the movement and so, alot more realistic.
      Bad idea..

One day on the map is equivalent circa a half year, so about every 8 minutes it's a new day.
      Weather can change several times a day - if changing weather conditions would be displayed graphically there will probably be a permanently annoying screen changing.

Anyway, different weather would affect both sides of the front and such conditions and their effects are already included and simulated by the X-factor.

Sasri wrote:

Yeah, I have a question:
      "I really wonder what these waves and other optical stuff should be good for in a strategie game, except that they cause eye cancer?
      I sincerely hope it will only be optional and includes the ability to switch it off."

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

THEARBITER117 wrote:

.. maybe dynamic weather? Oh man, is there any way you could do dynamic weather now? Like snow storms in Russia or hurricanes in the ocean?

CopyPasted wrote:

.. as asked before the weather? it would be cool that it would affect the movement and so, alot more realistic.
      Bad idea..
      One day on the map is equivalent circa a half year, so about every 8 minutes it's a new day.
      Weather can change several times a day - if changing weather conditions would be displayed graphically there will probably be a permanently annoying screen changing.

Anyway, different weather would affect both sides of the front and such conditions and their effects are already included and simulated by the X-factor.

Sasri wrote:

Yeah, I have a question:"I really wonder what these waves and other optical stuff should be good for in a strategie game, except that they cause eye cancer?
      I sincerely hope it will only be optional and includes the ability to switch it off."
      For simulation purposes, it could be done, just ignoring that small fact, maybe it'll change every real half day or quarter day.
      :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    • THEARBITER117 wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

THEARBITER117 wrote:

CopyPasted wrote:

Bad idea..One day on the map is equivalent circa a half year, so about every 8 minutes it's a new day.

Sasri wrote:

Yeah, I have a question:"I really wonder what these waves and other optical stuff should be good for in a strategie game, except that they cause eye cancer?I sincerely hope it will only be optional and includes the ability to switch it off."
      For simulation purposes, it could be done, just ignoring that small fact, maybe it'll change every real half day or quarter day.
      Yeah, but CoW is neither a simulation nor an action-game (and hopefully it will not become!), so the question remains, why or what for should that be good or useful?
      And which special influence on battles should have weather (which is not already included in the X-factor?), if the weather changes every 4 minutes (equivalent to half a day) on the map, whereas a combat is calculated every hour?

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • I really like this, and I'm looking forward to the official release. However, as previous mentions said, I would like an option to turn it off because mine's an old computer and it may lag (very badly).
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • THEARBITER117 wrote:

Will this eventually feature combat animations? Like tanks shooting, cities literally on fire, maybe dynamic weather? Oh man, is there any way you could do dynamic weather now? Like snow storms in Russia or hurricanes in the ocean?
      While many things are possible with WebGL we still want to make sure that the map runs smooth and without any problems. The idea of weather in Call of War was brought up a few times already. The problem with weather is that many people would then expect it to also have an effect on units and stats, which would require a complete overhaul of the game balancing.

In the beginning you will still be able to switch between the different versions, but after a while the old renderer will be turned off. We of course want to make the game accessible to everyone and also made sure that it runs on older devices, but as every game also our game will have minimum requirements that are necessary to run the game at it's best. As soon as I have more information on those minimum requirements I will share it with you, but for now feel free to check the link in the announcement to see if your device is WebGL ready.
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • Sasri wrote:

THEARBITER117 wrote:

Will this eventually feature combat animations? Like tanks shooting, cities literally on fire, maybe dynamic weather? Oh man, is there any way you could do dynamic weather now? Like snow storms in Russia or hurricanes in the ocean?
      While many things are possible with WebGL we still want to make sure that the map runs smooth and without any problems. The idea of weather in Call of War was brought up a few times already. The problem with weather is that many people would then expect it to also have an effect on units and stats, which would require a complete overhaul of the game balancing.
      In the beginning you will still be able to switch between the different versions, but after a while the old renderer will be turned off. We of course want to make the game accessible to everyone and also made sure that it runs on older devices, but as every game also our game will have minimum requirements that are necessary to run the game at it's best. As soon as I have more information on those minimum requirements I will share it with you, but for now feel free to check the link in the announcement to see if your device is WebGL ready.

Sasri wrote:

Well Sasri I agree with you not everybody Has a good PC so maybe in the future Sasri we could implement that
      -Sincerely Derek
    • One thing that may not be too clear yet: The game will actually run better and more smooth than in the current version :) And it will also run on older devices, we will make sure of that. But as sasri said, more info on that will follow.

Ever played a 100p map on day 60, where scrolling and zooming the map is super laggy? Well with WebGL not anymore, it's basically like scrolling and zooming in google maps :)

Additionally it enables us to include more graphical features down the line, although our first WebGL version won't be much different from the current CoW. But things that will be possible for example are real 3D units or fighting animations.

I hope you are excited for this.

Of course this doesn't mean that CoW will become an action game, but it will certainly get even greater market appeal, as people expect a certain visual quality and smooth controls when trying new games.
    • freezy wrote:

Ever played a 100p map on day 60, where scrolling and zooming the map is super laggy? Well with WebGL not anymore
      That sounds good :thumbsup:

Will there be much difference in data use? Ram? Browser cache size? Or all fairly similar?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<