Best way to break up Doomsday stacks?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Best way to break up Doomsday stacks?

So, I have a question that I would like answered. What is the best way to break up doomsday stacks? What I mean by this is several stacks of just everything, most older players should understand what I mean. From what I've tried in the past, it seems like they are invincible and the only thing you can use to defeat them is a nuclear weapon.

Thanks guys!

JCS Darragh
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

What is the best way to break up doomsday stacks? What I mean by this is several stacks of just everything, most older players should understand what I mean. From what I've tried in the past, it seems like they are invincible and the only thing you can use to defeat them is a nuclear weapon.
      When very large stacks include everything, by definition they include numerous slower-moving units, too. Run circles around them, retake your captured provinces in the stack's wake after it has moved on with your faster, more nimble units. Nibble around the edges of the stack with artillery, railroad guns, and naval gunfire, when available. Hit it with rockets and/or nukes when available.

Do not commit your large stack against your opponent's large stack. That's just a formula for mass casualties. Use stand-off ranged weapons, and drive your opponent batty with your ability to injure him and retake your provinces. If he's smart, he will eventually see the folly of his ways, and split his "doom stack" to come after your smaller, more nimble stacks. Then the real battle begins -- be prepared for it.

Doom stacks are why I always research nukes ---- even if I never use them in a particular game. Once nukes are available, the "doom" in "doom stack" refers to the stack's own demise. Do not be surprised, however, if it takes more than one nuke to eliminate a big stack ---- nukes will rarely completely destroy more than 25 ground units (unless they are in a sea-going convoy, embarking or disembarking, and have reduced hit points).
    • I use SP arty for this. So if I have 10 groups of 6 SP arty I can attack and fall back an hour, then hit again. Sure it take some time, but as long as you are around to manage it every hour the speed of the SP arty will keep you out of harms way.

Of course if I can lure the doom stack into attacking a fort where I have some heavy units of my own, and then barrage with rockets and artillery it usually works well.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • 1) Check he doomsday stack for its slowest speed. Then use units faster than that stack speed to outmanuver the doomsday stack.
      Art Lv 3 has a longer range of 70 km and can help with hitting the stack from a distance every hour as Vorion said. You can even stop the stack attack after your artillery fire to hide you art if the enemy isn't watching. Same with rail guns. If you fire, click stop and time your next fire you can be almost invisible if the enemy isn't watching that part of the map when you fire.
    • MadMike69 wrote:

also to help save on loses, you can send one cheap unit to just inside their arty range.Yes this troop will die but your artys can move in take their shot and retreat while their artys reload(the hour click).
      Or move a tank within his art range instead of a cheap unit. Let it take damage for awhile and then change it out with another unit. Either cheap unit or tank works well.