Limiting Gold Usage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• However, PL requires many hours of attention (not that I dislike it, it's actually good in my point of view). What I'm suggesting is a no-gold game for carefree players who don't have much time and needs a lot of sleep (like me), so the fear of goldspenders is eliminated, for they are in another round. Of course, this would have to be rare since Bytro needs to earn money.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Think about it this way, while you are saving your money and not spending gold but still completely and utterly destroying a inferior enemy with deep pockets, you are in a way winning because after all who is the one losing money out of there pockets? You fight them and you keep fighting them until they exhaust there finds to buy more gold and you keep going you capture there land and you smile, knowing that you just cost someone lots of money, even though them spending the money was utterly useless to them. I just like fighting gold players for the fun of costing them gold that could be better put into different rounds and Ofc the fact that I like to see there money drain :))
    • Well, speaking from a point of a somewhat seasoned forums user, This topic has been a discussion of great debate. Many of the veteran forum users will argue with you all day about the benefits of not having a gold cap. However, Bytro has always shut these kinds of forums down.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • I previously made some snarky comments about GOLD use. I don't totally condemn using it and never really bothered me but....my 2 current games the GOLD spammers are so ridiculous that it's not even worth staying in the game. I guess the satisfaction of costing someone much more than they'll ever get in payout might suffice. But it is disheartening to put that much effort into a map to have someone suddenly SPEW units from every city they have capped in every corner of the map after they have re-built whole cities in 3 minutes. Welp.....next time.
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run
    • And maybe the price of gold is too low... I mean you can buy 120,000 Gold for about 20 EUR. For 120,000 Gold you can buy plenty of development, units, etc.... so it does not really cost a lot to destroy any of your neighbor.

decrease research time with 12 hour costs 1700 gold
      decrease building time of a structure or unit with 12 hours costs 850 Gold

So creating condition for a tactical bomber creation: 1 IC + lvl2 Airport: 2 days+0,75 days+2 days= 4,75 days=8075 Gold
      One further IC lvl needs 30 hours - 1275 Gold
      1 tac bombers 30hours with IC lvl1 and 15hours with IC lvl5 2124-1062 Gold So 20 tac bombers needs around 30,000 Gold.

Material is not an issue you can buy 5000 units of ressource for 0,5 Gold...
    • I believe price of gold is to low also, since if Bytro already has loyal gold customers who will definitely buy gold, they can raise the price. Even though this may discourage players from buying gold, but it can generate a larger revenue due to the loyal ones still paying for it. This way, there can be benefits for Bytro and the community, such as:

1. Recognize loyal customers. By raising the price, the people that are left will be Bytro's loyal customers, and Bytro can make them happy with less demands.
      2. Higher revenue. As mentioned, the loyal customers will probably be still buying similar amts of gold, so Bytro can earn more money from the gold
      3. Less goldspenders. This doesn't really help Bytro, but it makes the players as a whole happy since they won't be as likely to be in the same game as goldspenders, and therefore will have less complaints regarding gold.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • There has to be balance. I have quit playing several games because I'd encounter people willing to spend obscene amounts of money to win. In one case I encountered a stock broker from China who was spending $1,000 US a month! I simply could not compete with that so quit.

I am willing to spend money on a game, mostly for the privilege of playing and some minor perks not to ensure I win. I want to win with better tactics and strategy than the next guy. Hard to do when that next guy has over a dozen tactical bombers on day 2.

I do understand that the economic model being used is very popular because it is so darn lucrative! I also understand that companies want to make money and pay their employees. But it is still a game and games should be fun and fair for all not just for those with more disposable income than the average Joe...

One idea I have is that when someone uses money in a game every other player in that game gets say 50% of what was spent credited to them as Silver. Silver can only be used in the game it is earned and not in other games. The spender still gets a bigger benefit but now other players have the means to fight back!

I really like this game - I sure hope I don't get turned off by another bored rich Chinese stock broker because I will quit playing if that happens...
    • Little Racoon wrote:

I believe price of gold is to low also, since if Bytro already has loyal gold customers who will definitely buy gold, they can raise the price. Even though this may discourage players from buying gold, but it can generate a larger revenue due to the loyal ones still paying for it. This way, there can be benefits for Bytro and the community, such as:

1. Recognize loyal customers. By raising the price, the people that are left will be Bytro's loyal customers, and Bytro can make them happy with less demands.
      2. Higher revenue. As mentioned, the loyal customers will probably be still buying similar amts of gold, so Bytro can earn more money from the gold
      3. Less goldspenders. This doesn't really help Bytro, but it makes the players as a whole happy since they won't be as likely to be in the same game as goldspenders, and therefore will have less complaints regarding gold.
      That might be something they could play around with to determine the max profits they can make, whether it should happen by decreasing or increasing the current value. Personally, I would never buy gold alone, maybe as part of a deal with high command, but I wouldn't be willing to pay anything in my current state.

Elite Canuck wrote:

There has to be balance. I have quit playing several games because I'd encounter people willing to spend obscene amounts of money to win. In one case I encountered a stock broker from China who was spending $1,000 US a month! I simply could not compete with that so quit.

I am willing to spend money on a game, mostly for the privilege of playing and some minor perks not to ensure I win. I want to win with better tactics and strategy than the next guy. Hard to do when that next guy has over a dozen tactical bombers on day 2.

I do understand that the economic model being used is very popular because it is so darn lucrative! I also understand that companies want to make money and pay their employees. But it is still a game and games should be fun and fair for all not just for those with more disposable income than the average Joe...

One idea I have is that when someone uses money in a game every other player in that game gets say 50% of what was spent credited to them as Silver. Silver can only be used in the game it is earned and not in other games. The spender still gets a bigger benefit but now other players have the means to fight back!

I really like this game - I sure hope I don't get turned off by another bored rich Chinese stock broker because I will quit playing if that happens...
      Instead of resorting to Racoon's advice we could devalue gold more so like Canuck says (with changes). Maybe each player would have 5% of the gold spent by the max gold spender rechecked each day in the form of game-specified gold (cannot be spent outside of that particular game). So if one day the max gold spender of the whole game so far had 27k gold spent, up to that point everybody would have gotten 1.35k game-specified gold. If somebody ended up passing the leader in the day and reached 31k gold spent, everybody would get 200 gold added to their current total. This would both decrease the game-specified gold given while also making one con to gold-spenders. Another pro is for the community groups who ban gold usage, this showing up in your game signifies somebody spent gold in the game.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • Nothing will change, EVERY thread that has been created on this has gone no where. Gold is fine as it is right now, which it benefits bytro and keeps our game going. I will admit, when I win a game and have a little gold in my pocket, I will use it and feel no shame in doing so. I've rushed out infantry units before and so have others, if you devalue gold to the point where it means nothing the people buying gold won't but it anymore.
    • We know what happened: the management decided that it was not in their economic interest. What we are saying here is that it is also not in you economic interest to not listen to your players.

As someone who has spent too much in the past and is unlikely to spend in the future unless there is a cap they may eventually come around.
    • Ehhh, Not really, gold cap ideas have been thrown around for years, they haven't gone anywhere. Bytro doesn't want to add a cap to the gold, there is not a good reason to.

Besides, if you really want to, just make your own game and give people you know don't use gold the password for it and play that way.

like me ;)
    • Not sure why this thread has been opened ( since they have a policy where it was out of the question to debate the gold system ) Well perhaps with CoW 2.0 they seek other idears to keep the cash cow going.

It is without question number 1 reason why people quickly leave this game ( other then the hard learning curve how the mechanics work and the time you need to invest into it to be succesfull )

I dunno if an entry fee after a free tryout is going to work out for bytro and these kind of games, with a limited gold use pr day, and the existing booster cards ( that arent that harmfull as pure gold use ) They would need some fixes on spy gold use ( it gets very annoying after 3-7 days every day when all your buildings are being wiped by gold nukes - and I dont even know who came up with this stupid idear lol )