Limiting Gold Usage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Limiting Gold Usage

First of all I am not against gold users. I also use the gold sometimes. It is actually a good feature of the game. It has a surprise element inside. It forces people to think twice before doing something and diversify their strategies etc.

But.. When it is heavily used, it removes the joy from game, every chance when you are against a heavy gold user. They use gold for even healing units, ALL the time. Then you don't have ANY chance, none. From this point game becomes worhtless. I mean you don't want to spend your time anymore.

If the owners of the game want to make a steady, long-term investment then they should limit the gold usage per game. Or maybe put cooldown on gold actions. Like when you heal a unit with gold, you should wait 2 days to use that again. Same goes for other gold actions.

By doing this you will make people gold-user friendlier and potential gold users, get more and content players. The company will have respect in the eyes of people, customers. Otherwise this game will die like other p2w browser games and companies. I don't want to name them but you know them very well. E.g. ancient time games, village, space games and even the football manager games.. I love this game like I did the others and I don't want to lose this one.
      :tumbleweed:

The post was edited 1 time, last by HMS Surprise ().

• It is not about the 'right' of people to spend money.
      It is about the structure of play around those that do have money to play.

Would you want to go bowling with friends and have someone able to buy a 'strike'?

Or play chess with someone able to buy an extra Queen?

My mantra has always been that we play games to have fund and make it fun for others.
      When we fail that we are stepping out of the sportsmanship or good gamemanship realm.

A POSSIBILITY of having games generated with a Gold Diet allows the players to control the background of the game and cater it to their liking relative to costs.

At the end of the day, players have a right to have some fun as they want to structure it. If the design does not support that then the design will fade as other games come in that satisfy the combination of social interaction, competition and fun play.
    • Let me tell the story of the last 2 weeks.

I started a 100p game two weeks ago. At day 2 or 3 one player had 20 tactical bombers and some other units... it was obvious that he is a heavy goldspender. I had two options:
      - stop the game and do not play further
      - play till I face this guy

I selected option 2.
      Yesterday evening I see his troops are nearing my costal side. K/D ratio was in the coming 12 hours 5/1 to me. He is a really weak and bad player. He lost about 70 ground units and 50 air units, but rebuild them/built a lvl3 harbour and produced 2-3 battleships in some minutes. Do I enjoyed it? Not really - because it was so easy to kill those units on sea. or patrolling above my attacked ships... no challange. But finaly hewill win. Why did I spent my time? Having fun? No, than it was a bad otion, next time I take option 1. And if everbody reacts so, than the game will die...

Howeer I would be happy to pay some gold for games where no gold is allowed!
    • Salutation's
      I was very hesitant to write this , i do not always articulate my point well, and often i lack tact. First off true wallet warrior's pose very little threat on 100 player maps , except in beginning.If it day 1 0r 2 and some one has multiple stack's of tac's , while you researching fighter's, there very little can be done there. There are considerable games whether it be fantasy , civil war, ww1 or 2, or moden era. Most all have pay to win system in place. What makes C.O.W so unique to me is once you truly understand the mechanics, use of terrian, strategies that can be brought into play the majority of wallet warrior's are not much of threat at all. Even those with some skill, can be dealt with often acting alone. The very very few of extreme skill need a team effort, whether coalitions mate's you have made in the round or alliance partner's that will always have your back. Coming at them from multiple front's nearly 24/7 , well it tends to break them, normally quickly, worse case i seen took three week's. The even fewer still deep pockets that will drop 3 infra per territory from romania to china and take a rr gun for a walk, well not much you can do againsts them. I do not know if it was by design or accident but the mechanics, speed, and modifiers for this game make dealing with this issue something that is doable. Again this is strictly the 100 man's i am talking about the smaller maps there just on you to quickly, no time to build a flexible army and defenses, that i would recommend for them.
      HAPPY HUNTING
      Salute
    • Ok, I'm not here to criticize anyone of their acts to have a gold cap since I, to be honest, do not like facing gold users. In fact, I once suggested that and found out it was once suggested before. However, here are my few points to speak in face of this group (mostly familiar faces):

1. The suggestion of the gold cap. As I said, someone already suggested it before, and guess what the result was? Nothing. Bytro ignored it. Now, now, I know Bytro's probably like "You're being biased and we need to earn money and stuff" but here it is: WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND HOW BYTRO CAN EARN MONEY. Gold cap will diminish the money Bytro can get from heavy gold users, and thus lose money. So, how can we limit the power and one-sided effect of the gold users? Here's no. 2:
      2. It has been suggested before by me, but I'll repeat it: A no-gold system game (if it's on the settings on create game then obviously this wouldn't help) simultaneously with a gold-entry game and of course the regular games. The no-gold-allowed game will allow people who despise gold users and do not want to see them ever again to safely enter this game. There is a catch, though: there will be no gold rewards at the end since it's a no-gold game. This sounds bad for Bytro, since they need the money from gold. HOWEVER, there is the other game with an amount of gold required to join. This means whoever has the capacity to join has a large chance to be a goldspender. With a bunch of goldspenders in the game, what do you have? The game spilling out gold for Bytro since when you're a goldspender and you see a guy who's using gold, you'll naturally wanna not lose and spend more money on gold. The gold using rate will grow exponentially, and before you know it, Bytro will earn thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars. JUST IN THAT ONE GAME. Crazy right? However, there will be a generous gold reward for the winner.

With the two groups separated, the popularity of Bytro among the players will grow because Bytro has done what they want, whether to face someone worthy or simply not facing the other group again, and of course, Bytro will be laughing in joy because of this idea. Now, it is kinda difficult and complicated to do that, but I'm very sure this can lead to the devs and the players in considerable harmony, and there will be less gold-related criticism, right Bytro?

P.S: I was in the game that szinisa talked about. I witnessed his slaughter, and I'm partly to blame because I was forced to comply to his demands by the goldspender. And from then on I said to myself not to participate in any large-player games for a while, until I get bored.

P.P.S: HMS Surprise mentioned this to me once, but I thought he was doing well.

P.P.P.S: HMS Surprise and szinisa are both in the same alliance as me, HMEC.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • The way I see it is, that if there were these gold-games where you can win bigger gold prizes, is that I feel less gold users would actually join them because they will be playing against players also using gold.

What is the reason players use gold?
      The reason players use gold is to give them the advantage over players who do not.
      Joining a game where you know all others will be using gold to win negates that advantage.
    • What I'm saying is, the no-gold game forbids any goldspenders, so the game can be much more fair. You don't have to spend gold if you enter the gold entry fee game, you just pay the gold entry fee. The prizes can be much larger too, like regaining 50-80% of the gold you spent (which doesn't really matter to Bytro, since the goldspenders will buy more anyways, and they already got the money in their pockets) AND a prize of 10000 gold. This can lead to many goldspenders joining the game.

I must agree, though, the goldspenders would NOT want to join a game like that because it doesn't give them an advantage, BUT weak goldspenders not wanting to lose in the no-gold game would be tempted to join because of the prizes. If you make a prize appealing enough, lots of people might join, even ones who aren't goldspenders may be tempted because of the prizes, even when they know there's gonna be goldspenders. By pitting goldspender against goldspender, what joy!
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Having recently been swept aside by Gold Fever when a player wrote he was going to get a 100 Euro pay card and then he attacked me, I lost it and reacted over board with gold.

We seriously need a gold diet program design so that players can enjoy the design without insane (and that is what I was the other day) gold spending.

I understand the need to maintain a finance stream for the company to pay for development (been in the game business and somewhat still am), but there needs to be a way to maybe have players pay 10,000 gold for a 14 day 2x limited game or some such where gold cannot be spent.
    • OMG - is this another "boohoohoo I lost a game because some player used gold. WE SHOULD BAN/LIMIT GOLD!" posting. Really. :wallbash
      Can the Moderators please create a 'Safe space' in the forum for all these threads. Its the same thing over and over and over............
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run
    • but with alot of thinking :

they add ads , and limit gold usage

facing gold users will make the players leave c o w

Little Racoon wrote:

Ok, I'm not here to criticize anyone of their acts to have a gold cap since I, to be honest, do not like facing gold users. In fact, I once suggested that and found out it was once suggested before. However, here are my few points to speak in face of this group (mostly familiar faces):

1. The suggestion of the gold cap. As I said, someone already suggested it before, and guess what the result was? Nothing. Bytro ignored it. Now, now, I know Bytro's probably like "You're being biased and we need to earn money and stuff" but here it is: WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND HOW BYTRO CAN EARN MONEY. Gold cap will diminish the money Bytro can get from heavy gold users, and thus lose money. So, how can we limit the power and one-sided effect of the gold users? Here's no. 2:
      2. It has been suggested before by me, but I'll repeat it: A no-gold system game (if it's on the settings on create game then obviously this wouldn't help) simultaneously with a gold-entry game and of course the regular games. The no-gold-allowed game will allow people who despise gold users and do not want to see them ever again to safely enter this game. There is a catch, though: there will be no gold rewards at the end since it's a no-gold game. This sounds bad for Bytro, since they need the money from gold. HOWEVER, there is the other game with an amount of gold required to join. This means whoever has the capacity to join has a large chance to be a goldspender. With a bunch of goldspenders in the game, what do you have? The game spilling out gold for Bytro since when you're a goldspender and you see a guy who's using gold, you'll naturally wanna not lose and spend more money on gold. The gold using rate will grow exponentially, and before you know it, Bytro will earn thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars. JUST IN THAT ONE GAME. Crazy right? However, there will be a generous gold reward for the winner.

With the two groups separated, the popularity of Bytro among the players will grow because Bytro has done what they want, whether to face someone worthy or simply not facing the other group again, and of course, Bytro will be laughing in joy because of this idea. Now, it is kinda difficult and complicated to do that, but I'm very sure this can lead to the devs and the players in considerable harmony, and there will be less gold-related criticism, right Bytro?

P.S: I was in the game that szinisa talked about. I witnessed his slaughter, and I'm partly to blame because I was forced to comply to his demands by the goldspender. And from then on I said to myself not to participate in any large-player games for a while, until I get bored.

P.P.S: HMS Surprise mentioned this to me once, but I thought he was doing well.

P.P.P.S: HMS Surprise and szinisa are both in the same alliance as me, HMEC.
    • I think, everyone is the most are aware that even this wonderful game has to be financed somehow.

If someone encounters an investor or, better, financier (1) in one of his games, it should be a bid of own honor and for everyone self-evident to demand and employ the donor (1) as hard and as long as possible, also even if the own doom is clearly foreseeable. It's no shame to honorably lose against an inexhaustible superiority. But this way everyone can benefit from the situation; the free player, the gold player, the operator; and ultimately therefore all other players.

(1) # donorsomeone who has monetary ability and finances certain things; in online games colloquially called gold player. :D

„Ask not what your country (game) can do for you — ask what you can do for your country (game) ;)
      However, if someone who plays for free does not want to make that small contribution to the public, he should simply retreat tacitly and leave the map.

Incidentally, although I personally would welcome the possibility to create / join (password-protected) maps with deactivated gold usage, such purchase-maps should necessarily be combined with a pause function that allows the map to be frozen for a set time, e.g. because of Christmas weekend etc. - by consent button in the newspaper, for example: ".. from tomorrow, 22 o'clock, for 12/24/48/72 hours .."

Because, on the one hand such maps probably (logically, from operator's point of view) could only be used with purchase-gold and would cost each participant probably at least a medium double-digit €-amount (for being halfway profitable).
      So or so, goldfree maps (should they ever take place) will expectedly be expensive (and would have to be expensive, from the operator's point of view, and thus in the interest of all players), and so of course would primarily be used with friends or known players (whoever wanna spend good money for to gamble with unknown noobs?) - and therefore (see above): "..such purchased maps should necessarily be combined with a pause function.."; ..if we spend money to play maps, we should also have the opportunity to play a break, and only then would such maps actually be worth to pay for them - because..

..on the other hand, this game already offers quite adequate free options:
      Players can create own maps with password, where they can play with like-minded, selected players according to own rules.
      If additional the anti-cheat system for these private maps is deactivated, the incentive for gold missions is minimized at the same time.

And that all for free.. :thumbup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Browser games are an ingenious business idea for money pulling, more or less cleverly disguised as a game dummy.
      Attention, texts above this signature may contain traces of irony. ^^

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • dw98 wrote:

OMG - is this another "boohoohoo I lost a game because some player used gold. WE SHOULD BAN/LIMIT GOLD!" posting. Really.
      Can the Moderators please create a 'Safe space' in the forum for all these threads. Its the same thing over and over and over............
      I know this has happened many times, that's why I suggested not to go to that topic again.

Retrisiko, Bytro has been doing well on that part, but on a public scale? Not really. What I was suggesting was a change for the public, so we don't have to fear of running into a goldspender every time we join. Rather, we would look forward to it because it's a fair game. The other gold game can be set like this: elite ai, 10k gold admission fee, 15k gold win rewards. This would give players an incentive to join, and as I said earlier, if many of them happens to be goldspenders (being forced out from the non gold games), then there will be a shower of money for Bytro.

• This seems to be the one issue that causes the most division/disappointment/anger/disagreement among players. Sorry Restrisiko, but Bytro doesn’t fear losing you (you’re still here) and it is unknown how many players quit over this. I don’t want to quit, so if I can’t ally with a heavy gold user, I just leave the round.

In my experience, heavy gold users are compensating for their lack of actual game skill. One that crossed my path bragged in the WH that gold use itself is a skill, though. That was in the 100p Red vs. Blue experiment that failed, partly due to the Blue team leaving in droves when the situation became clear.

On the bright side, Bytro DOES support a no gold game – the Player’s League. So there is at least one option.

(Hopefully) my last word on the subject.