WebGL Update now Live!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WebGL Update now Live!

It has already been a few weeks since WebGL is available on beta for our frontline pioneers and with today’s release everyone on desktop and Android devices will get to enjoy the new graphics renderer for Call of War. We made a lot of improvements and adjustments and were able to fix a lot of bugs also thanks to the feedback from the community. But we won’t stop at this point. We will keep monitoring the performance and make further fixes and improvements if needed to provide the best game experience.

How can I use the new renderer WebGL?

If you want to turn on WebGL simply access your in-game settings in the bottom right. You can also switch back to the old renderer later on if you wish.

With WebGL you will get to enjoy the following features:

- Stepless zooming and smooth scrolling.
      - A more accurate vision range around your province.
      - Army paths are displayed in the country color.
      - Pathing lines also move towards their target destination even when not selected allowing players to always - have an overview where their armies are headed.
      - Zooming out to see all countries is possible even on bigger maps.
      - Closer zoom for accurate micromanagement.
      - Airplanes now show vision ranges while in flight.

Additionally you will find a list with all fixes and improvements for Call of War mobile below.

- We did a lot of improvements regarding app crashes and already saw very positive results. If you had problems in the past, please try again and give us feedback in case you are still encountering problems related to game crashes.
      - When creating an account for Call of War each user now receives a unique, random name automatically. We plan on implementing the option to make name changing possible. For now please open a ticket to change your name.
      - When opening the app your last played map will instantly load instead of the main menu to be able to take action even faster.
      - Furthermore you are now able to use the Android back button on your phone to access the last visited screen.
      - The ‘Suggested Games’ pop-up only shows games that users are able to join and not games that are above their current rank.
      - Buildings now show the right construction costs also when another building is in queue.
      - When you do not have any new messages you won’t see any red number anymore. Before it displayed a ‘0’.

Your Call of War team
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • Kanaris wrote:

Anyone else having a problem seeing rebelling provinces after the WebGL update was applied? I no longer see the smoke on rebelling provinces (under 35% morale)
      Some smaller details like smoke on rebelling provinces are still missing but will be added later in the game. All important game play features should be available though :)
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • My only FP match was a non-supported map which I couldn't play for the past few weeks, so I never really got a chance to test this out. But now that I'm seeing it in my regular games, I'm both happy and sad.

First, the scrolling is smooth and comfortable. I think I can get used to being without the zoom steps. The colors are kinda nice, in a drab sort of way, but they make it very hard to see individual units of one's own colors. At least, it seems that way for my colors. Also, the non-core province colorizations are even harder to look at, and intruder units have a red hue on them that reminds me of the USSR piece colors from Axis & Allies....which was not a pretty color.

I'm not a fan of the new aircraft "hopping" arrows, though they seem OK enough, otherwise. Back to colorization, though, I think the problem with the new color sets, aside from not being used to them, is that they blur together too much. There's no contrast except for those non-core province colorization bars.

I guess, the look reminds me a little too much of Conflict of Nations, which I never did care for nearly as much as Call of War. And, might I add, I haven't played CoN in over a year. That should say it all.

Oh, one more thing. The unit scaling seemed to work well with the old graphics zoom stepping. But the sliding-scale zoom makes the units scale too small when you aren't zoomed too far out....contributing to that difficulty with blurring everything together. I'm already using readers. I don't want to have to get a stronger zoom on my glasses, or it'll screw up my vision.

(EDIT 1)

OK, one more thing annoys me. The sliding-to-a-stop feature is kinda cool and all, but it's extremely annoying when I'm trying to quickly move back and forth to click on units to drag to other areas of the map. When I move, I then try to grab a unit, but the map keeps sliding on ice and I grab open air...or the wrong thing. I SINCERELY hope this will be a feature that can be turned off or at least has to be forcibly made to happen by deliberately "throwing" the map to one side (i.e., trying to lob it by quickly releasing a rabidly-moving mouse in an almost-tapping motion to the side).

(EDIT 2)

I just noticed....you no longer can see the potential range-ring of artillery and aircraft which was represented as a dashed circle as you were dragging a unit around. That's REALLY needed!

(EDIT 3)

None of the national colors are vibrant enough. The path indicator no longer highlights differences in Forced March. These are really needed. It seems the PC version has lost it's charm. It's more like the Mobile version which is a pain in the butt to play.

(EDIT 4)

OK, yet another annoyance....perhaps just another thing forgotten in the roll out (fingers crossed that that is the reason)... In the province details box (desktop version), when you click on the owner's icon, you no longer go to their line in the diplomatic menu, but instead go to your own. That's normal behavior ONLY when you are open to one or more of your own provinces. But foreign ones....you expect to open to foreign entries in the diplomatic menu, right?

(EDIT 5)

Now, this is getting quite old, but here's yet another thing missing. The timing of embarkation/disembarkation is not shown, and seems to be quite screwed up, in terms of actual times.

In addition, I had several stacks of units depart from one destination to arrive at several others, and the approximate arrival times were highly discongruous. I'm not sure if those arrival times were skewed by distances so much as they were being slowed down by foreign port limitations. But it was an attack on another player's totally unguarded coastline (and no forces inland), where slightly-faster units made huge ground coverages while the slightly-slower units were still disembarking.

There was no justification for the extremely disparate arrival times as the various paths were nearly the same distance and had similar terrains, etc. The only two things I can think of to cause this issue would be either that the embark/disembark times were skewed based on the speed of units (rather than the default) or else the convoys' speed were affected by land speeds of the various units. Either way, this would be a huge bug.

(EDIT 6)

I've noticed yet another issue. It seems that, when doing a click-and-drag on a unit, to tell it to attack or move to another target beyond the edge of the screen, the map doesn't automatically scroll to the side, anymore. Please fix this, too! Oh, and mountain terrain seems to be missing.

(EDIT 7 ——— Final Entry ——— 9/28/18)

OK, this will be my last edit. Any future annoyances and bugs will likely be reported in the suggestions or errors sections, respectively. However, I've just noticed that the new matching path colors are very bad in owned lands when you need to try to move other units and have them stop at certain places along those colored paths.

Let's say I have a unit set to go along a circuitous route to a distant target. Along his way, his path has been colored similarly to my national colors and they are both lighter shades. Then, I have another unit that I want to move to a specific spot along that other unit's path where that path is still inside my borders. But, I can't make out the exact point where the first unit's path takes a corner because of the lack of contrast. I try to guess at where this is, but since corners aren't automatically treated as waypoint notches, there's no snap-to effect which would be kinda handy to have right now. So, I keep trying to drop the path to the spot I want and I can't get it to line up. I can't see exactly where to go unless I cancel the first unit's target, thus cleaning off the path. However, the first unit's path was meticulously-planned out and not a simple route (perhaps I'm trying to avoid obstacles).

So, if there were more and stronger contrast between one's national colors and their path indicator, that would help. But then this might cause problems when your path is in an ally's land, which might line up with your otherwise-contrasted color. I know we don't want animated paths for non-selected units, but maybe a non-moving dashed line would be easier to see? Or —— and this might be a little harder to code —— by using gradient-thinking, perhaps the path lines could fade to lighter national colors in the straights while darkening towards the corners and waypoints. Thus, the gradient coding, but maybe this would be far easier to see. And the contrast between corners and waypoints vs. the straight lines might make the whole game much easier to see without having to tweak the national colors again and again. This might even help a little with the hard-to-see units which scale down so far as to disappear into the surroundings when zoomed out more and more.

~0~

OK, to make sure that every edit of this message has been viewed (and hopefully read and understood) by most of the relevant people on staff, I'm naming them here: @freezy, @Dr. Leipreachán, @Sasri, @Stormbringer50, @Aeblemost, and @VorlonFCW. Thanks for reading!
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 11 times, last by Diabolical ().

• So far it's working on mine, and it actually was really smooth! However, I couldn't see my troops clearly, and the colors may be a bit to hurtful to the eyes. Takes some adjustment, but I think it's fine. Just need to get used to it. There is also one more suggestion I would like in the WebGL: could the zooming be less sensitive? It's very very smooth, and I like that, but when I zoom, it zooms too much, and when I shrink it, it shrinks too much. Is it just me, or are other people experiencing the same thing?

One more applause to the devs! I know you really worked hard for this!
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Little Racoon wrote:

So far it's working on mine, and it actually was really smooth! However, I couldn't see my troops clearly, and the colors may be a bit to hurtful to the eyes. Takes some adjustment, but I think it's fine. Just need to get used to it. There is also one more suggestion I would like in the WebGL: could the zooming be less sensitive? It's very very smooth, and I like that, but when I zoom, it zooms too much, and when I shrink it, it shrinks too much. Is it just me, or are other people experiencing the same thing?

How could you make it smooth and work very easy, i wanna try it too!
    • Mihai1234 wrote:

Little Racoon wrote:

So far it's working on mine, and it actually was really smooth! However, I couldn't see my troops clearly, and the colors may be a bit to hurtful to the eyes. Takes some adjustment, but I think it's fine. Just need to get used to it. There is also one more suggestion I would like in the WebGL: could the zooming be less sensitive? It's very very smooth, and I like that, but when I zoom, it zooms too much, and when I shrink it, it shrinks too much. Is it just me, or are other people experiencing the same thing?

It depends on the CPU and GPU and RAM....in other words, you need more power. Try upgrading your drivers to the most recent versions....that may help a little.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Mihai1234 wrote:

Well, I don't know. Mine isn't even a PC. Somehow it just worked really well.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback!

The WebGL release was an important milestone and certainly this version already surpasses the old renderer in alot of areas, but not yet in all. There are still some bugs and missing functionality. But fear not, we will constantly update the WebGL renderer in the coming months so it gets better and better. We already have a long list of things to improve.

CcallofWwar1942 wrote:

Happy with the webGL update / I dont doubt the finished product will be much better.
      However i dont like the fact i have to change the setting back to webGL when logging
      back on and entering my games.
      Found this to be very pointless and just run on normal version.
      This should not happen, it should save your settings. Maybe a cookie issue in your browser?
    • freezy wrote:

This should not happen, it should save your settings. Maybe a cookie issue in your browser?
      I've seen this, and I think it's based on existing pages, open. If you have two matches open, and you switch one of them to the old graphics, then refresh the other match, it'll open with the old graphics. Similarly, if you close both web pages, but the most recent page closed was the one that you switched to the old graphics on, then reopen the one that had the newer graphics, then you'll still get the old graphics. I believe that this is because the cookies are maybe only remembering the most recently-changed settings and applying that to all newly-opened pages.

R.I.P. Snickers <3