How to encircle without losing to many troops?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to encircle without losing to many troops?

So my alliance mate seems to have turned on me. We just both carved up the massive German player's land and their conquests and he seems to be mobilizing to attack me. I am Romania and he is the Soviet Union. He is level 63 and I'm 40. He has 5 wins and I have 10 wins. His army consists of 150 units and no more in production. I have around 137 units with 19 in production. He mostly consists of maxed medium and light tanks (No heavies even though it's day 47), maxed artillery, 28 maxed out bombers, and some level 2 infantry with level 1 militia. My army consists of mostly maxed out heavy, light, and medium tanks, level 4 artillery, maxed out infantry, anti tanks gun, a few max level tank destroyers, and a lot of elite militia. He uses the grouping strategy where he puts a lot of his units in groups of 10 or over. I use a spread strategy where my units are spread into groups of 3 over large amounts of territory. We both have no nukes. I want to know how to be able to take his capital and take out a huge chunk of his army without losing too much units. This is game 2,471,557. We are on historic world war map. If you can offer some strategies, that would be great. Thanks for your time.
    • You need to start by cutting down his troops. All stacks of units have a weakness, so you just need to exploit it.

For example, if he has no anti air, then your bombers will do well. If he has AA then his speed is limited, making it an easier target for artillery, or light tanks.

Run your battles through the calculator that a player made. dxcalc.com/cow

To me a group of three will lose to a group of ten in most cases, so you need to group your stacks up. Stop playing like the AI with a unit in every province and use some tactics.

Secure your core, maybe some forts and a quick reaction force to stall any invasion.

Focus on killing his units, and then conquer the land later.

Good luck
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • If the 2 of you aren't in war yet, are you in the same coalition? If yes ask them weather they want a solo victory or a coalition victory, of course trying doing so without provoking them. If they assure you they want a coalition victory then there is no need for the 2 of you to be fighting each other.
    • AK140 wrote:

If they assure you they want a coalition victory then there is no need for the 2 of you to be fighting each other.
      Backstabbing includes lying, my friend.

Also, try to get as much help as possible, even if the other player isn't really good. 2 is always better than 1.

P.S: The calculator will have some mistakes since the latest update was back in 2017 or early 2018 (forgot).
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • @Sherh,

If he decides to attack, let him. Don't panick, defenders have a very big advantage as long as there are troops between your core and your enemy. Make sure you are on the defense propperly, preferbly in your own core provinces so you get a 15% defense bonus without building forts. Do not build forts as it makes you stationary and shows that you are expecting him to attack and costs recources. Make sure to create bigger divisions, put them in places you need to defend. Do not exceed the amount of units per divison that are effective (Status Based Damage Eficiency), no more than 8 infantry per division, 11 militia and so on. EXPLOIT THE TERAIN your troops are on. Put militia in forrests and hills, armor in open fields and so on. Be sure to have a multitude of troops in all of your divisions. Put your artillery BEHIND your defending troops with the defending troops in range, this way they will automaticly shoot if he decides to attack. If you can spare them also put some militia or infantry in with your artillery along with anti-air in case planes reach out to them. Use your own planes to patrol over your troops as long as you are on the defense. If he does attack, you can use airplanes to destroy incomming enemy reinforcements without AA.

From the numbers you have told us he will likely lose if he goes on the attack since defenders have atleast around a 50% advantage all together when being moderate. Meaning your 137 troops account for 137 * 1.5 = 206 units in case a frontline battle ensues and there is not smart play being done by anyone.

Factor in both of your economies, if your economy is halve his size that means he can afford to lose 2 troops for every 1 that you lose. If he can sustain the losses through his economy and you can not he can still win. Although since your unit numbers are soon to be around the same and you have the defenders advantage AND an ally there is probably very little he can do.

Best solution is diplomacy however, be sure to get the US alerted so he can jump in on it as soon as it starts. Even better would be to sort it out with Russia.
    • Ok. Thanks all, the ideas were great and I could probably use them for another game, but I was able to coerce him into surrendering and he withdrew his troops from my border and left. For all who were asking, he is in my coalition, so I could see his map. It didn't go as I thought, but since I had the USA on my side, that was a deciding factor. I have made my presence more obvious on his border to sway him from making the same mistake again. Again thanks all for your help!
    • Or if you want to wipe your "ally" out, simply pretend to put less troops around your border and let him attack you first. Then, you retaliate and wipe him out. Condition: Only if you're really confident in your skills and army size.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)