Can anti air craft guns damage planes?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mike hill wrote:

I was just looking at the stats of the aa gun and if has no strength in attack against air troops? Can someone confirm if the aa gun can damage planes?
      Air-ground and air-sea fights are mathematically close combats >> in the same moment when planes attack, the air defense values of the attacked units are calculated.
      However, for some (and really good) reasons, in this game air-ground and air-sea combat can only be started by air and not by ground or sea units.
      So it's not necessary in the stats of ground and sea units to display attack values against air.

MadMike69 wrote:

If you managed to get the AA gun to the airbase where planes are sitting on the ground.
      They then could attack but that would be using thier infantry attack stat.
      If there are no defending ground forces, the province is captured immediately (because planes [and rockets] can not conquer or hold provinces), the planes automatically become truck convoys (which are infantry class), and the AAs attack with their infantry-class-attack-strength, right.

However, if defending ground forces are present at the same province center where enemy aircrafts (planes or rockets) on the ground are directly attacked, the aircrafts remains aircraft class (as long as the province has not been captured or as long as the airbase is operational = over 50% condition from lvl 1), and because of that and as long the attacked units stay aircraft class the attacking units attack with their aircraft-class-attack-strength (which is for AA identical in attack as in defense, in contrast to some other units -- and to avoid confusion it isn't displayed in the stats, because this is the only and rare situation, where it can used).

Examples:

From here (click) >> forum.callofwar.com/index.php?thread/14126-for-more-variety-on-the-battlefield <<

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• General YeeYee wrote:

Mike hill wrote:

thanks I read that guide and got confused.

So how much attack does an as gun return on an aircraft because it's stats don't have a value. This is why I'm wondering whether it's worth building them
      it's stats DO have a value. it does not have an offensive stat value because it is a defensive unit. it will return fire when an aircraft attacks it or patrols around the area.
      Basically correct, but as sayed, all units, not just AA, have more or less high offensive values against air (and other classes) -- which are simply not displayed because usually not operable -- find the confirmation in the post above yours, behind the Link, and there in the posts 1 and 83-97.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• Think about it this way:

A ground or ocean based unit is not likely to jump into the sky and chase a plane down, so you can't attack a plane with it. But when the plane comes close enough to attack the unit, the unit will defend itself.

The defensive fire is always calculated first in a battle, which has the same effect as firing moments before the enemy plane attacks.

So in summary, anti air guns, and all units with an air defense stat effectively automatically attack enemy planes as they come in for an attack run. No micromanaging required on your part. :)
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Mike hill wrote:

Ok so let me see if I have this, if a region is attacked by air, and that region has an aa gun with a defence of 5, it will attack the air troops with a force of 5hp basically.
      yes, that is more or less the idea.

So let's define "region". The attack radius of planes is the same as other units, which is 5km. So if the plane attacks a unit and your anti air are more than 5km away, then the AA will not react.

There is also the x-factor to consider. This is essentially a random chance of any attack or defense being from zero to one hundred percent effective. So 5 points of defense may not actually result in 5 points of damage to the attacker.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• ahhh ok so the attacks also need to be effective, thanks for the reply Vorlon. I have 1 more question then. If a base has a grounded plane and I go to attack the base/province, will my ground troops - infantry and tanks be able to attack the plane?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mike hill ().

• Yes, since when planes are grounded, they count as infantry class. And that's how you wreck those planes without suffering one single casualty.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Mike hill wrote:

If a base has a grounded plan and I go to attack the base/province, will my ground troops - infantry and tanks be able to attack the plane?
      That depends on a couple of factors:

One simple rule to keep in the front of your mind always: Planes on the ground are still PLANES, and will defend themselves.

Scenario A: You bombard the enemy planes that are "parked" on the ground with artillery. You will find that the planes take very little damage from artillery, because they are planes, and artillery have very little offense damage against planes.

Scenario B: Grounded planes alone in a province. When you attack with ground troops such as infantry or tanks you will capture the PROVINCE and the airbase right out from under the planes. This will make the enemy planes turn into a convoy and be easily destroyed. (best way to deal with enemy planes)

Scenario C: Grounded planes PLUS enemy ground troops. When you attack with your infantry or tanks you will engage the enemy ground troops, and other units within 5km which includes the planes. The planes will return fire when you attack. This can be a disaster for the attacking army, as the planes are at full strength and defend themselves very well, even though they are ""parked" on the ground.

VorlonFCW

• Mike hill wrote:

.. I have 1 more question then. If a base has a grounded plane and I go to attack the base/province, will my ground troops - infantry and tanks be able to attack the plane?

Little Racoon wrote:

Yes, since when planes are grounded, they count as infantry class. And that's how you wreck those planes without suffering one single casualty.
      Supplement .. -- .. respectively as was described in post 11 ..

If there are no defending ground forces, the province is captured immediately (because planes [and rockets] can not conquer or hold provinces), the planes automatically become truck convoys (which are infantry class), and the AAs (or whatever is attacking) will attack with their infantry-class-attack-strength.

However, if defending ground forces are present at the same province center where enemy aircrafts (planes or rockets) on the ground are directly attacked, the aircrafts remains aircraft class (as long as the province has not been captured or as long as the airbase is operational = over 50% condition from lvl 1).
      And because of that and as long the attacked units stay aircraft class the attacking units attack with their aircraft-class-attack-strength (which is for AA identical in attack as in defense. But to avoid confusion offensive AA-values aren't displayed in the stats, because this is the only and exceedingly rare situation, where it can used).
      So beware, since in such situation the planes defend with their usual combat values it is hazardous to attack without AA.