Technology advancements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• freezy wrote:

You can adjust your own mouse wheel sensitivity in the Windows settings. Maybe you cranked it up really high there?
      I use mac. So this doesn't apply to me.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Chill out with the extra extra wide borders. Hate the colors of the countries/territories. (not crisp and clean) Not really liking the movement lines, especially when you have multiple units on the same course.
      PS - i have a map where all my units in Alaska/Canada have vanished. Reports of heavy snowfall was expected but this is concerning. :/
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run

The post was edited 1 time, last by dw98 ().

• Hey devs,

Good to know that you are doing your best to keep improving on something that is already awesome, thank you guys!
      I think the new renderer has some good points as well as things it could improve on.
      Things I like:
      - The names of capitols are clearly displayed (and also the city that used to be the original capitol, I find this helpful but I do not know if this is supposed to happen).
      - The water looks amazing.
      - Different types of landscape are way easier to see.

Some things it could improve on.
      - Compared to the old render it seems to react slower to me moving around on the map/ordering units around.
      - Zooming in and out takes way longer than it used to.
      - The definition of the lines that run through occupied territory are very present. This combined with the clearer landscape contributes to making troops harder to see.
      - Troops are very blurry when you zoom out.
      - The colours of the troops are very ligtht compared with the darker background, with the troops bein blurry and the better looking terrain type they are very hard to see.

Looking forward to more brush ups!

Kind regards,

Edepedable
    • First, I wanted to say thank you for continuing to look for ways to improve game play and balance.

I love the improved scrolling and zoom. It feels very responsive to me on my laptop, my tablet, and my phone all three.

That being said, there are some things that are much worse about the graphics. Several of these have already been mentioned, but I have a few that I haven't seen yet, and I wanted to add my voice to the ones already called out:
      • Brightness of the map is way too intense, making visibility of troops difficult. Overall, after about 15 minutes I close it down or walk away from my computer for a little while because of eye strain. This is really only a problem on my laptop, mobile devices don't seem as bad.
      • Related to the above, the overblown colors feel cartoonish and silly on the computer.
      • For many provinces, especially lager ones, smaller the resource icons are sometimes easy to miss, compounded by the difficulty finding the "home" point in the province. This may also be related to the overblown brightness.
      • Most of the cities and provinces are not named on the map making navigation difficult in larger empires or when zoomed in close trying to find your units or resources.
      • The point values of the un-named provinces don't show on the map.
    • Go to the forum page that you'd like to create a thread on, and on the top of the page there's a button called "create thread".
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I can't play on iphone as long as this new renderer set as default, the game always crash before any chance to disable it, why not place it disabled by default?

If there is a burden for this "beatiful graphic", please don't force it on us. To be blunt it doesn't seem that the new renderer was in demand at the first place, at least among players
    • AK140 wrote:

I can't play on iphone as long as this new renderer set as default, the game always crash before any chance to disable it, why not place it disabled by default?

If there is a burden for this "beatiful graphic", please don't force it on us. To be blunt it doesn't seem that the new renderer was in demand at the first place, at least among players
      I’m on iPhone also and I have the same problem
    • Please use the Call of War app instead of the browser. If your device is not ready for the new renderer it will be automatically disabled and you will be able to play your games again. If for whatever reason you get a white screen/crash within the app please reinstall the app (don't forget to set a password). If after this you still receive a white screen using the App please let me know which device you are using.
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • At first glance I hated it. I immediately switched back to the old render system for a few reasons which I will list below. I have decided to switch to the new system so that I can give it a fair shot and hopefully provide some useful feedback for the devs to improve the new system down the road. But for now these are my initial impressions. Some of these below might have been mentioned before and some of these might just be bugs. I also feel like a lot of these things can be fixed with color changes and shading changes.

What I hated at first that made me switch back to old:

1. No provinces names except for capitols and cities. This I found to be very annoying as when I am speaking with my allies and talking about a specific province. It makes it so much more difficult to find the province when the name isn't displayed on the province. Maybe making just regular province names a few sizes smaller than cities. You already have this basic principle in place with the size of City name when compared to capitol names.

2. No country names anymore. I'm fairly good at geography, and at the same time i find it annoying that the name of the country isn't displayed for similar reasons as the above point.

3. There are times where coloring of the troop paths is not easy to see. Meaning the color of the path blends too much with the base color of the province. Some colors are harder than others. I just think there needs to be more contrast.

4. Enemy vs ally province lines are less defined. Some of the colors are not apparent that they are under fog of war. I think the fog or shadow or whatever you wish to call it needs to be slightly darker.

5. Selected troops lighten so much that they are difficult to see on some colors. Again maybe just making them a few shades darker when both selected and un-selected might fix it.

6. The generic green coloration of any unit that is an ally is bland and ugly. Takes away from the realism this rendering seems to be going for when naval units all appear as green on blue ocean. Along with that, enemy units that used to be red are more like a brown now? I also dislike this. I think the coloration of the unit shouldn't change and perhaps maybe just using an aura or something around the unit like the old render would be better.

7. Water at the shoreline that is also inside of the "unit view range circle" I guess you would say is very bright and basically white.

8. Troop/unit icon size seems slightly bigger and I don't personally like it. It also might be the cause of another issue of unit icon stacking being messed up. One map where a sub is near impossible to see under a transport ship. I have also noticed not being able to see my Industrial Complex smoke stacks in cities with a rocket stationed in the same city unless you are zoomed almost all the way in.

9. The cone that shows you the area that you can direct your air to patrol in without having to go back to the airport is now red? It used to be green which made sense...might be nit picky but it just seems counter-intuitive.

10. Unit path colors seem to be buggy. Same player has a unit with a purple path (which is his province color and correct I would say) but also has another unit of his has a brown path. See screenshot below

11. Smoke rising from low morale provinces is not animated?

12. Names of captured cities are not displayed sometimes? Any city I capture that is not my own the name is not displayed. And my allies core province names in one game are not displayed at all but in another they are. In the same game where his core province city names are not displayed, some captured city names ARE displayed and others are not? I don't really know what is going on with this one. One screenshot of this below.

Now with all this being said I do like the water rendering. I do like the smoothness of the zoom in and out and moving around the map. And I also really like the ability to zoom out further with the new render.
      Images
      • Screenshot_14.png

484.91 kB, 662×435, viewed 24 times
      • Screenshot_16.png

521.6 kB, 623×453, viewed 31 times
    • Undermin3d wrote:

Smoke rising from low morale provinces is not animated?
      I believe when you zoom out a lot, the smoke disappears, which is actually a good thing if you want to take a screenshot of your entire map.

Undermin3d wrote:

No country names anymore. I'm fairly good at geography, and at the same time i find it annoying that the name of the country isn't displayed for similar reasons as the above point.
      Maybe devs can put the country names when we zoom out (along with enlarged version of flag since I can't really see it)?

• Sasri wrote:

Please use the Call of War app instead of the browser. If your device is not ready for the new renderer it will be automatically disabled and you will be able to play your games again. If for whatever reason you get a white screen/crash within the app please reinstall the app (don't forget to set a password). If after this you still receive a white screen using the App please let me know which device you are using.
      I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and I still have white screens and crashes and I’m in an iPhone 6