Technology advancements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Technology advancements

Dear Generals,

Today we are bringing you more game improvements to lift our WebGL fueled rendering engine to the next level. Not only is it looking better than ever, it also feels smoother and more performant. Because we are confident in it’s quality, the WebGL renderer is now made the default renderer for our desktop and mobile version. We want to thank everyone for your initiative to give feedback and report bugs. You can look forward to even more improvements in the future!

We are also happy to announce that the 25 player historical world map is playable again! The creation of this map was disabled in the last 2 weeks due to a bug. While the bug is not yet fixed, we decided that we don’t want you to wait much longer. For that reason we enabled a previous bug free map version, while the newest version is still in repair.
      With this release we are also tackling an important activity issue of the 25 player map. Our data shows that in the past it was hardly ever getting full, resulting in early abandoned games. For that reason this map will now be regularly created by our automated system instead of being creatable by players. New rounds will be automatically opened once an existing one is full or when enough time has passed. We think that this change will result in higher activity and exciting long lasting battles on this map. We will monitor the results of this change and make a final decision once we fixed the new map version. You can look forward to an historically even more accurate version, and a special historical event coming early next year.

Finally, here is a detailed list of this week’s improvements:

• The construction and production menus now don’t occasionally jump back to the top anymore.
      • WebGL: We improved the visuals of province names, capital names and victory points. This will give you a better overview and additionally improve the performance.
      • WebGL: We improved the visuals of the water and coasts.
      • WebGL: The attack timers are not hiding behind the war indicators at the province borders anymore.
      • WebGL: A new embarking/disembarking symbol is shown, similar to the attack timer.
      • WebGL: The projectiles of ranged fire were sometimes not visible anymore, we fixed this bug.
      • WebGL: When zooming the camera far out the ranged projectiles, resource icons, province borders and urban province names are not displayed anymore for better overview.
      • WebGL: Unit images on the map have been increased when zooming out to make them more visible.
      • WebGL: Rocket images now show properly after launching them.
      • WebGL: Results of some spy actions were not visible instantly, this problem has been fixed. Also the spy symbols have improved visibility and are no longer rendered behind province names.
      • WebGL: The preview flight area for airplanes is back.
      • WebGL: The dashed attack range preview when dragging units has been added.
      • WebGL: We adjusted the coloring of the unit paths for moving and attacking to give a better indication of units’ current tasks and directions.
      • WebGL: Force march path colors are properly displayed again on the map.

We hope you enjoy today’s update and keep all the feedback coming.

Your Call of War team.
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • Finally, 25p is back (for all 25p enthusiasts)! However, I'm quite sad it has become a system game. I do understand, though, that 25p usually isn't full (because of country differences)
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Sasri wrote:

Our data shows that in the past it was hardly ever getting full, resulting in early abandoned games.
      Indeed, I think this is very true. Another big factor is that because every country on the map is short on goods, and very few goods are available in the market, that many players get frustrated, because it takes so long to be able to do anything. Without goods, we can't build. So, you cant even build up your goods producing provs, because, well theres no goods. LOL. So, again I will suggest that goods are made just slightly more available for everyone on the map. I think that will go a long way in retaining players in 25 player games.
    • New design?
      If he stays that way, I'll definitely stop playing. And from what I feel I will not be the only one.
      Thank you for ruining the game. The only positive thing is the wider zoom. Everything else to cancel.

Nuova grafica?
      Se rimane così sicuramente smetterò di giocare. E da quello che sento non sarò l'unico.
      Grazie per aver rovinato il gioco. L'unica cosa positiva è lo zoom più ampio. Tutto il resto da cancellare.
    • I don't know why but the updates seem to be working only on Chrome (you can see how the game's design on Chrome looks different than on Firefox in the attached images).
      Images
      • 2.PNG

543.28 kB, 822×403, viewed 70 times
      • Cattura.PNG

1.05 MB, 982×545, viewed 74 times

The post was edited 3 times, last by Marat666 ().

• Thanks, we will investigate. For more and other issues, please submit bug reports using the bug report form in the game.

Btw. there may be a creation problem with the 25p map at the moment as there wasn't a new one created yet, we are also looking into that, stay tuned :)
    • I REALLY hope you will bring back the option to have the old graphic renderer, this new one is bad, troops are harder to see, names, points ... well, everything basically, but the water looks nice at least. But I rather have everything else as it was.

Or, rather, I play my games out but will not start a new one if it stays like this.
    • Marat666 wrote:

pekkasteele wrote:

I REALLY hope you will bring back the option to have the old graphic renderer, this new one is bad
      We still have that option, if I'm not mistaken.
      Yes, but it is intended to disable this option, which is very deploreable.
      For me the new comic style graphics was a main reason to finish my last map and not join any new one.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Auto creation of the 25p historic world map has been fixed, you should now see new maps being created in the games list.

Please be brave and also try to play as the small countries from time to time :)

By the way: If you have feedback what still needs improvement in the new renderer, please provide us with exact feedback of how a certain thing can be improved. For example: Why exactly are armies harder to see for you than in the old renderer, what can be adjusted to make it as good? That's more helpful than saying that you don't like it and will quit. Obviously we won't return to the old renderer, but we can certainly improve the new renderer together, based on your feedback! :)
    • My biggest problem with new render is the troops are not as clear and crisp as they used to be. They are blurry looking compared to previous. Also when they change color to indicate allies it makes it harder to see. I’m an old man. I need all the help I can get. Lol

If I were to continue, and I will, the map looks more cartoonish and not like a tactical map. The darker colors of the outside borders of everyone’s territory are to wide. I can see the color difference between my land and my neighbors. The highlighted border doesn’t need to be that wide, imho.

On the positive I love how the scroll and zoom works. Nice n smooth.

Ps. 1 thing else I and those in my alliance noticed since the render first came out is that in mobile and old render version when you gave a move or attack command you needed to zoom in or out to see the order take place. It’s like there is a major visual lag. The order was happening but no change in icons moving to see it going.
    • Futz wrote:

My biggest problem with new render is the troops are not as clear and crisp as they used to be. They are blurry looking compared to previous. Also when they change color to indicate allies it makes it harder to see. I’m an old man. I need all the help I can get. Lol

If I were to continue, and I will, the map looks more cartoonish and not like a tactical map. The darker colors of the outside borders of everyone’s territory are to wide. I can see the color difference between my land and my neighbors. The highlighted border doesn’t need to be that wide, imho.

On the positive I love how the scroll and zoom works. Nice n smooth.

Ps. 1 thing else I and those in my alliance noticed since the render first came out is that in mobile and old render version when you gave a move or attack command you needed to zoom in or out to see the order take place. It’s like there is a major visual lag. The order was happening but no change in icons moving to see it going.
      Thanks, that is useful feedback.

Royal Britannia wrote:

Is this 'bug' you mention the occurrence when colonies of the major empires became core provinces?
      Yes exactly. But there was another internal issue present with the data of the map that needs fixing as well. That's why for now we activated an earlier map version.
    • I think the only problems I have with the new renderer is that the colors look too bright and unclear troops, like what Futz has said. I don't really like bright things (could be just my personal preference). The reason why I still use the old renderer is simply the troops being clear and the colors look a bit more normal without hurting my eyes and having to stop after at most 10 min and switching back. I like how the sea looks way better now and that capitals' names are clearer, but since the troops brightness levels and the land brightness levels are similar, I can't find my own troops easily in my lands.

This is a minor one, but I will say it anyways for your reference, devs: when I scroll to zoom in/out, it either overdoes it or too little (usually it overzooms). I like how now you can zoom out to see the entire map, but when I do the scrolling, it seems way too sensitive and I'm either forced to use the old, bad zooming, or use clicking on the side, which is slightly inconvenient. Perhaps a little change in sensitivity can work.

In conclusion, what I'm saying is: Less bright colors for the sake of my eyes, clearer troop visibility, and less sensitivity in zooming (or change sensitivity in settings).
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)