At first glance I hated it. I immediately switched back to the old render system for a few reasons which I will list below. I have decided to switch to the new system so that I can give it a fair shot and hopefully provide some useful feedback for the devs to improve the new system down the road. But for now these are my initial impressions. Some of these below might have been mentioned before and some of these might just be bugs. I also feel like a lot of these things can be fixed with color changes and shading changes.
What I hated at first that made me switch back to old:
1. No provinces names except for capitols and cities. This I found to be very annoying as when I am speaking with my allies and talking about a specific province. It makes it so much more difficult to find the province when the name isn't displayed on the province. Maybe making just regular province names a few sizes smaller than cities. You already have this basic principle in place with the size of City name when compared to capitol names.
2. No country names anymore. I'm fairly good at geography, and at the same time i find it annoying that the name of the country isn't displayed for similar reasons as the above point.
3. There are times where coloring of the troop paths is not easy to see. Meaning the color of the path blends too much with the base color of the province. Some colors are harder than others. I just think there needs to be more contrast.
4. Enemy vs ally province lines are less defined. Some of the colors are not apparent that they are under fog of war. I think the fog or shadow or whatever you wish to call it needs to be slightly darker.
5. Selected troops lighten so much that they are difficult to see on some colors. Again maybe just making them a few shades darker when both selected and un-selected might fix it.
6. The generic green coloration of any unit that is an ally is bland and ugly. Takes away from the realism this rendering seems to be going for when naval units all appear as green on blue ocean. Along with that, enemy units that used to be red are more like a brown now? I also dislike this. I think the coloration of the unit shouldn't change and perhaps maybe just using an aura or something around the unit like the old render would be better.
7. Water at the shoreline that is also inside of the "unit view range circle" I guess you would say is very bright and basically white.
8. Troop/unit icon size seems slightly bigger and I don't personally like it. It also might be the cause of another issue of unit icon stacking being messed up. One map where a sub is near impossible to see under a transport ship. I have also noticed not being able to see my Industrial Complex smoke stacks in cities with a rocket stationed in the same city unless you are zoomed almost all the way in.
9. The cone that shows you the area that you can direct your air to patrol in without having to go back to the airport is now red? It used to be green which made sense...might be nit picky but it just seems counter-intuitive.
10. Unit path colors seem to be buggy. Same player has a unit with a purple path (which is his province color and correct I would say) but also has another unit of his has a brown path. See screenshot below
11. Smoke rising from low morale provinces is not animated?
12. Names of captured cities are not displayed sometimes? Any city I capture that is not my own the name is not displayed. And my allies core province names in one game are not displayed at all but in another they are. In the same game where his core province city names are not displayed, some captured city names ARE displayed and others are not? I don't really know what is going on with this one. One screenshot of this below.
Now with all this being said I do like the water rendering. I do like the smoothness of the zoom in and out and moving around the map. And I also really like the ability to zoom out further with the new render.
1. They were disabled due to performance issues. We are exploring ways to bring them back in a performant way.
2. It's on the plan to implement a nice transition into country names when zoomed out, but its not the highest prio.
3. True, could maybe need some restyling. But its also hard to get this right, as there are sooo many different country colors on many different maps. Odds are that there will always be some countries where it looks strange. It should look good for most countries though.
5. yes we want to change unit brightness again
6. yes, its planned to implement a proper unit glow down the line.
7. for me it doesnt look that way, hmm
8. On beta we actually got feedback that unit images were too small, so we made them slightly bigger again. I guess it is just personal taste as we get feedback going into both directions?
9. personal taste, as you said.
10. The path color turns red when you give an attack command. This is so you can even easier see at a glance which army is moving where, doing what.
11. yes not yet, adding more animations (even more than in the old version) is on the plan for the future.
12. As you say that this only happens sometimes it seems like a bug to me? I didn't experience that problem yet. Please file a bug report when you experience it again.
Also thanks to everyone for the other feedback in this thread!