Suggestion for a Major Startup Change

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Suggestion for a Major Startup Change

      (I will use 100 map for this example) Currently when a new map is created each person gets 2 double resources and several single resources. All resources are in the same provinces as the last 100 map and for that matter EVERY map. This information leads to many knowledgeable gamers picking specific countries each time (double oil) knowing what they are getting. This leads me to believe that there is a static table used when a new game is generated and loads the same info onto each new game.
      Suggestion...change the static table to a random table!
      Don't give anyone more or less resources than what they get now and continue to give resources in each city province but randomize each map so that the resources will never be exactly in the same provinces and the 2 double provinces are completely random also. (No more picking Nigeria because you know there will be a double and single oil province). Talk about now having to analyze what your resources are and what you need to do from the start while not knowing which countries will get a slight advantage at the start. This randomness should make for more exciting maps and not be as boring as they can be at the start.
    • I agree with this. Other than being historlicly acurate I see no reason for resources not to be randomly distributed (so maybe not on the historical maps).

      On some maps there are huge differences when some players get 3 total productions for both oil and steel while others get only 2 of both with ridiculous amounts of food and rare metals in return. Not really a very fair trade off it would seem to me. Sure you can trade with other players, but on smaller maps like the 10 or 22 player maps trading is often ruled out since half the players leave and what you are left with are possible enemies.

      World maps and other maps I think should be equal in resource production, like the antarctica map is. This to me is part of the beauty of the Antarctica map, no advantages for anyone. This makes oppertunities equal and makes players having to rely completely on both their economical knowledge as their tactical and strategicical insight. As I think it should be.

      Kind regards,

      Edepedable
    • I like the thought of maximum randomness for where you start. Yes, you might get double oil in a city and you may get one oil in a province when playing a specific country, but next game if you played that country it wouldn't be the same thus not allowing anyone to be able to select a country knowing what they have in advance.
    • I made a similar suggestion a while back.

      I wouldn't want it completely random, as you could end up with 16 food provinces and nothing else, but to have perhaps two provinces be "wild" would add some fun, or have one province randomly doubled.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill



      VorlonFCW
      Senior Game Operator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      >>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

      I made a similar suggestion a while back.

      I wouldn't want it completely random, as you could end up with 16 food provinces and nothing else, but to have perhaps two provinces be "wild" would add some fun, or have one province randomly doubled.
      That is not what I meant by completely random...Everyone must get at least 1 of each type (max of 3 of any type with a double counting as 2) and max of 2 doubles and they must also be different. Every city has a resource by default (but different each time a new game is started). Shotgun the resources differently for each boot up game while ensuring certain things. Keep me from playing Nigeria all the time!
    • ike53 wrote:

      VorlonFCW wrote:

      I made a similar suggestion a while back.

      I wouldn't want it completely random, as you could end up with 16 food provinces and nothing else, but to have perhaps two provinces be "wild" would add some fun, or have one province randomly doubled.
      That is not what I meant by completely random...Everyone must get at least 1 of each type (max of 3 of any type with a double counting as 2) and max of 2 doubles and they must also be different. Every city has a resource by default (but different each time a new game is started). Shotgun the resources differently for each boot up game while ensuring certain things. Keep me from playing Nigeria all the time!
      If a double counts as two then it's definitely and technically not a double if you think about it!
    • double adjective, adverb [ not gradable ] (TWICE)
      twice the size, amount, price, etc., or consisting of two similar things together:


      A double bed is a bed for two people.

      If you are seeing double, you are seeing two of everything

      1. consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things.
      PREDETERMINER

      1. twice as much or as many. "the province now gives double the amount of a regular province".
      ADVERB

      1. at or to twice the amount or extent. "you have to be aware that this counts double over a single use".
    • ike53 wrote:

      VorlonFCW wrote:

      I made a similar suggestion a while back.

      I wouldn't want it completely random, as you could end up with 16 food provinces and nothing else, but to have perhaps two provinces be "wild" would add some fun, or have one province randomly doubled.
      That is not what I meant by completely random...Everyone must get at least 1 of each type (max of 3 of any type with a double counting as 2) and max of 2 doubles and they must also be different. Every city has a resource by default (but different each time a new game is started). Shotgun the resources differently for each boot up game while ensuring certain things. Keep me from playing Nigeria all the time!
      I'm just pointing out on how you yourself stated that a double would count as 2. Technically you are taking 2 singles and making it 1....right! The game usually counts the double as 1....therefore your idea eliminates the "double"
    • In the game now you start with 2 double somethings (double food, double oil, double metal, etc...) And it is possible to still have a single of the same resource either in a city or a province. If you have 2 singles of a resource you will not have a double but you may have 3 singles of a resource. The max of any resource, in you home provinces to begin a game, is 3...that would be either a combo of one double plus one single or 3 singles.
    • ike53 wrote:

      In the game now you start with 2 double somethings (double food, double oil, double metal, etc...) And it is possible to still have a single of the same resource either in a city or a province. If you have 2 singles of a resource you will not have a double but you may have 3 singles of a resource. The max of any resource, in you home provinces to begin a game, is 3...that would be either a combo of one double plus one single or 3 singles.
      Thank you for clearing that up. I was understanding something else completely different.