Suggestions on Rationing!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestions on Rationing!

I know there was a similar topic embedded in the forums somewhere, I know I could've searched it up but I don't want to necro such a thread, so I'm going to create a new one. Sorry.

So, what are you guy's thoughts on rationing? Do you think it could be a useful addition to the game, or is it just something that can be comparable to a L.3 Barracks? :rolleyes:

I have an idea for rationing. Due to the character limit weirding out I'll reply to this with my thoughts. Keep in mind I like to listen to your suggestions and improve mine based on yours, so we could really get a thing going here!
      "A nation, like an individual, to find itself must lose itself in the service of others." - L. M. K.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shoravaz ().

• Here's a little suggestion of mine before I go insane from all my starving allies begging me for food to satisfy their -400 food/hour bellies.

Rationing.

You've probably seen it before in another thread I'm certain is buried somewhere within the forum. It'd take me even longer than I took to think of everything regarding this suggestion, so I decided to create a new thread. Sorry. Here goes nothing.

Rationing can be enabled within wherever, although I thought it would be nifty to activate it from your capital province for convenience. It would cut food consumption by 34%, but decreases your morale by -25%. Resource prouction will obviously decrease(manpower by a significant margin), and unit production and buildings slow down by -15%. We don't want rationing to completely break the game, because you're all probably thinking L.5 forts will negate morale resource penalties, but no. Rationing should cap(yes, in bold, so everyone can see nice and clear) core/non-core production of resources to 80%/20% respectively. It shouldn't change things too much, but we don't want an extremely efficient self-sustaining nations always rationing. I'm looking at you, double resource province(s)! Lastly, troop speed is reduced -10% while recovery is at a measly 10%/day. Max manpower is reduced to 66% of your current max. Provinces that reach 25% morale or lower will no longer be affected by rationing, they will simply return to normal consumption rates just so you don't force your own provinces to rebel when offline.

I have to say, this isn't the most well thought-out suggestion, nor am I saying it is necessary, but I think rationing would be a good addition to the game for longer-lasting rounds. Obviously this is not going to be a smart move early on in the game when you have little to no troops and you're happily mass producing fleshbags for war, it's intended to give players a bit more time to get their crap together in late game, where your capital is probably elsewhere than starting location with (hopefully) forts in your provinces and province gain is at an all-time high).

TL;DR:
      • Rationing will result in a 33% food consumption cut, but a morale penalty of -25%.
      • Resource production cap rate of cores/non-cores are 80%/20% respectively.
      • Unit production and building times are slowed by -15%.
      • Troops are slowed by 10%, while recovery hindered at 10%/day(instead of 15). Allied armies nor enemies are affected on your territory.
      • Manpower capped at 66% of your current max. Production of this resource is reduced significantly.

EDIT: This reply was made before I created the thread, so sorry for any mood changes/inconsistencies.
      "A nation, like an individual, to find itself must lose itself in the service of others." - L. M. K.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shoravaz ().

• Rationing??

How about ... let me say something weird here ... how about: planning ahead?

There are several options you might want to consider:
      - building infra, factories and harbours on grain producing provinces? And you know what? When you do that in time, you might not have a need for rationing...
      - building troops that suit your supply situation? Normally you can smell a food problem days or even weeks ahead, so it is not that difficult to adjust the type of troop you will be producing by then. (i.e. maybe not build so much infantry?)
      - not endelssly produce troops, but produce what your economy and industry can support? As in balancing the resources consumption with the resource production?
      - targeting enemies with good grain provinces and take them and develop them?

I know, I know ... these are weird and outlandish suggestions, but maybe they are worth a try?

(the funny thing: I have never-ever had a serious food problem in this game)
    • _Pontus_ wrote:

(the funny thing: I have never-ever had a serious food problem in this game)
      Well, for playing 63 games and having 30 solo wins and never having a serious food problem I will be the first to say that you are better at this game than I am.
      While I am probably not in favor of creating rationing, I do think there is a food 'imbalance' in the later stages of the game. When you are blitzing across Asia and are taking 30-50 provinces a day food becomes more of the enemy than your enemy.
      "Until there are clearly defined and enforceable rules for hand-to-hand combat, there can't be rules in global war. Kill em all!"
    • I too have never had that bad of a food situation, I think the lowest I've ever gotten myself into was around -200/h after losing some food provinces. I had this in mind for late-game as I mentioned, where multiple parties are capturing vast amounts of land which can really eat up your food.

I was making around 300/h before I captured this bit of land. I now make 167/h.

Of course, I don't mindlessly throw suggestions around just because of mistakes I make, of course I was prepared...Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 11.16.40 PM.png
      Just not a lot of people plan that far ahead, so I wind up gaining tremendous advantage or outright win in the course of a few days due to poor planning. I just want a challenge sometimes, that is all. I'm not saying that I'm uncontested but the game can get pretty stale after a few days where there are only 5 people that remain.
    • ike53 wrote:

When you are blitzing across Asia and are taking 30-50 provinces a day food becomes more of the enemy than your enemy.
      That ofc is a (temporary) problem. The food consumption of non- or low-food producing provinces forms a barrier.
      Not unrealistic, though.

The solution I tend to use is to ofc kill all enemy units, but not conquer all provinces. I try to avoid taking empty lands w/o points or resources or other strategic value, until I can end a war with an opponent. It takes some getting used to as it feels awkward, but it basically works well.

[ike53: 49 games, 38 victories; not so bad yourself!]

The post was edited 1 time, last by _Pontus_ ().

• Shoravaz wrote:

Of course, I don't mindlessly throw suggestions around just because of mistakes
      Point taken ;)

However, the food limitations also form a sort of noob-protection. If that wouldn't be so, everybody with some skill would blitz around the globe unhampered.

I like to see the whole principle of 25% production in occupied territories, growth issues (i.e. food), logistics etc. as a challenge and as a protetctive measure for lesser experienced players