Good Uses for Strategic Bombers....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Good Uses for Strategic Bombers....

While building up to Nuke bombers, I'd like to try out my Strategic bombers. I don't see hardly anyone use them. What are some good mid game uses of them? I used them in a practice game and they level the buildings in a territory pretty fast. They would seem to be more useful than what people use them for, which is basically nothing.

I could see long range recon, bombing Airfields to limit movement ect. What else could you recommend?
    • Put them in a stack with fighters and tac bombers when patrolling against other enemy air units as they will help absorb some of the enemies attack points.
      "Until there are clearly defined and enforceable rules for hand-to-hand combat, there can't be rules in global war. Kill em all!"
    • Put them in a stack with fighters and tac bombers when patrolling against other enemy air units as they will help absorb some of the enemies attack points.
      "Until there are clearly defined and enforceable rules for hand-to-hand combat, there can't be rules in global war. Kill em all!"
    • Pavilx wrote:

That doesn't seem like a great use for them, there has got to be better uses. Though they do have decent HP.
      It is a 30HP damage soaker while still attacking combat units. Lvl 2 strat does 2/1 damage to unarmored/armored units, similar to a lvl 1 tac (3/1). However, they are ssslllooowww and force you to build lvl 3 airfield.

I look at them as a luxury research item if I'm not gonna go nuclear.
    • You sir pavlix, are touching on what I have said about destroying buildings in the game lots of times. It is not a viable strategy. I personally find this very unfortunate. Would be fun if it was more of a thing in my opinion!

The best places to destroy buildings would be in an enemy core. But when can you ever really? With strategic bombers, hardly ever. If you want to destroy buildings of the enemy, use rockets. Faster, stronger and less risk of losing the unit.

Bombing lone airfields would be a good use for strat bombers. But rockets do this better if you are to lose your strat bombers in the proces.

Bombing fortifications would also be. But they can only effectively bomb provinces with fortifications if there are no units there. And if there are no units in a province with fortifications, there is no reason to bomb the province and risk losing your strat bombers. Better solution again are rockets.

The cost/return of strategic bombers is hardly ever in your favor. Including research and losing the strat bombers due to enemy activity they are sadly best used for damage soak. That or with nuclear research in mind like Ike53 and Guioco said.

In short, building and using strategic bombers are a great way to give your enemy an advantage. Yes, you read that righr. Research + use of strat bombers is 9 out of 10 times a better thing for your enemy then it is for you.
    • Militia, strategic bombers and nuclear bombers are most unuseful units in this game. I research them very rarely. I find them a waste of resources.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • What is indirect attack? Please explain
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • He means, for example, bombing an empty province center while catching a big stack in the blast radius.

Militia is very useful in forrests/hills on the defense when combined with anti-tank. Or when in forrest/hills versus infantry on the attack.

In forrests/hills militia their power/cost is unmatched. If you see them as useless you do not know how to use them.
    • I use infantry instead of militia, infantry units are not to expensive too. You can use nuclear bombers that way only against big noob :) But against skillful player they are useless.
    • Nuclear bombers are unuseful, that is my opinion. You can not hit units that are cowered with fighters, even if you try to hit empty province center, if it is cowered with patroling airplanes, nuclear bomber will be shout down.
    • patriota75 wrote:

I use infantry instead of militia, infantry units are not to expensive too. You can use nuclear bombers that way only against big noob :) But against skillful player they are useless.
      Sometimes militia is the better choice. Both for its defensive power and costs.

You can use nuclear bombers against skillful players to. Just needs a little cunning and active play.

patriota75 wrote:

Nuclear bombers are unuseful, that is my opinion. You can not hit units that are cowered with fighters, even if you try to hit empty province center, if it is cowered with patroling airplanes, nuclear bomber will be shout down.
      Combine it with some of your own planes. You'd be surprised what 1 nuclear bomer combined with 1 tactical bomber, 1 strategic bomber and 1 interceptor can fly through. Sure you would lose 3 units but this can be well worth it if your enemy does not have enough anti-air or interceptors. You can even use 2 of eacht (preferbly not the nuclear bomber) and get very good results. There are lots of ways in which you can make nuclear bombers benefit you.

Like diablo mayor said, morale destruction, building destruction, production capability destruction can all be very valuable. Hitting a country in its core province of a certain resource production that is scarce for this country is still a great move even late game. Even if a country's economy hits 200k or 300k, very large parts of its production is still done by core provinces.

They are great strategic weapons, though tacticly hard to use and use right.

Every unit in the game can be useful. You just have to know how, when and where to use certain units in order to get the best out of them.
    • Edepedable wrote:

Sometimes militia is the better choice. Both for its defensive power and costs
      They are both cheap, i see no benefit to research militia. That is my opinion. Only if you want to produce them away from IC and to produce something else in IC.

Edepedable wrote:

You can use nuclear bombers against skillful players to. Just needs a little cunning and active play
      You can, but it is hard to achieve something from it. I find it too expensive and difficult for use. It is easier for me to mass product units and over power him.

Edepedable wrote:

You'd be surprised what 1 nuclear bomer combined with 1 tactical bomber, 1 strategic bomber and 1 interceptor can fly through.
      Yes I am surprised. I haven`t managed to combine them with other planes even I tried several times. They are going separately, first time I hear they can merge with other planes.

Edepedable wrote:

Like diablo mayor said, morale destruction, building destruction, production capability destruction can all be very valuable. Hitting a country in its core province of a certain resource production that is scarce for this country is still a great move even late game.
      For all of that you mentioned there are other ways, more effective in late game when you have extra money :)
      Strategic bombers are good to merge with group of tactical bombers and fighters to absorb damage, maybe combined like that to crush some fortification, I never used them against factories. If I am that close to someone core, i is just matter of time that he will be defeated. Nuclear bombers can only speed up the process but the end of game is near.
      I played about 60 games, in that games I was hit by nuclear bombers about 5 times, only once I lost game when was hit by NB. That game I would loose anyway, so the hit was not that much significant.
    • patriota75 wrote:

They are both cheap, i see no benefit to research militia. That is my opinion. Only if you want to produce them away from IC and to produce something else in IC.

True they are both cheap, militia is still 3 times cheaper than infantry is. That's quite a lot if you are in dire need to spend goods elsewhere. If militia is actually useful or not depens a lot of the units you start with. If you start with a country like Nationalist China where you start with 22 militia and 1 infantry then doing research for infantry is a waste of the militia you already have. Especially since your own and your direct suroundings are all forrest/hills. It is not a matter of opinion, you can just calculate the benefits of militia considering cost and terrain vs infantry. Sometimes militia is the better option.

patriota75 wrote:

You can, but it is hard to achieve something from it. I find it too expensive and difficult for use. It is easier for me to mass product units and over power him.
      Very true, it is a matter of preference really. To be honest I never use them myself because it is to much of a hassle and investment. Still doesn't mean than you can't though. :P

patriota75 wrote:

Yes I am surprised. I haven`t managed to combine them with other planes even I tried several times. They are going separately, first time I hear they can merge with other planes.
      Now that you mention it so specifically I'm not sure if you actually can or not... Could have been that I used a strategic bomber instead of a nuclear bomber to combine with other planes and chose to remember it as combining a nuclear bomber with other planes. Someone would need to verify. Makes more sende if you can not I supose.

patriota75 wrote:

For all of that you mentioned there are other ways, more effective in late game when you have extra money
      Strategic bombers are good to merge with group of tactical bombers and fighters to absorb damage, maybe combined like that to crush some fortification, I never used them against factories. If I am that close to someone core, i is just matter of time that he will be defeated. Nuclear bombers can only speed up the process but the end of game is near.
      I played about 60 games, in that games I was hit by nuclear bombers about 5 times, only once I lost game when was hit by NB. That game I would loose anyway, so the hit was not that much significant.
      Yes that is also all very true. There are better ways then using strategic bombers and nuclear bombers.
      Like I told Pavlix, researching strategic bombers and nuclear bombers are great ways to give your enemy an advantage. Sadly. I would have liked building destroying to be more of a part of the game then it is now.