Convoys Moving large numbers of units when landing, which is better?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Convoys Moving large numbers of units when landing, which is better?

a Bunch of smaller stacks landing in an area or a 2 or 3 large stacks. My thought is that while the bunch of smaller stacks might be harder to manage initially, you don't risk the chance of losing a big part of your force when disembarking like you can with large stacks disembarking.

Am I right or wrong?

I just got hit with two rockets and it did significant damage to to one of the large stacks.
    • It can depend a lot on your enemy.

By splitting your forces up and landing at multiple locations at the same time you make each group more fragile, but with any luck your enemy will not notice all of them. If he does notice then smaller groups are easier to kill.

Larger stacks do have more hit points, so that they might survive longer, but once they are noticed it is easier for your enemy to focus their attacks on one location.

I prefer one main landing force on an isolated beach with no enemy units nearby, as checked by submarines and or spies. Occasionally I will send a few single unit landing groups to take a large swath at once, slightly in advance of the main force in order to mask the primary landing zone. This plan hinges on the single units actually capturing the vacant provinces and hopefully any airbases necessary to reach the primary landing zone.

Landing in a hot zone is very tricky with an awake enemy. You can beach your larger navy ships at the landing zone by using a Ctrl and click on the move command. This will help absorb some of the enemy rocket and artilllery fire directed at the landing zone, and provide some air cover. This is not a completely foolproof plan, and may result in significant damage to your navy. I typically consider the navy expendable once my land invasion force is feet dry anyway, your opinion may vary.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

I prefer one main landing force on an isolated beach with no enemy units nearby, as checked by submarines and or spies. Occasionally I will send a few single unit landing groups to take a large swath at once, slightly in advance of the main force in order to mask the primary landing zone. This plan hinges on the single units actually capturing the vacant provinces and hopefully any airbases necessary to reach the primary landing zone.

Landing in a hot zone is very tricky with an awake enemy. You can beach your larger navy ships at the landing zone by using a Ctrl and click on the move command. This will help absorb some of the enemy rocket and artilllery fire directed at the landing zone, and provide some air cover. This is not a completely foolproof plan, and may result in significant damage to your navy. I typically consider the navy expendable once my land invasion force is feet dry anyway, your opinion may vary.
      Nice, I do it exactly like you said you do it. I think sneaking in somewhere is usually best, prevents a lot of losses, trouble, need for protection and what not. Sadly, it is not always possible.
    • Yeah if you are landing somewhere late game and your enemy is aware you will need to fight your way in. Carriers and air support are mandatory in that case. What Vorlon said about grabbing multiple provinces along a line with lone units and then going to shore with your main forces after you have a province is then your best bet. And yes, putting you ships right on the beach is a very good thing to be doing. Thats why I don't like it,to much of a hassle. But it is more fun I guess.

Damn 300+ troops! Well at least some must have gotten through then :p
    • Pavilx wrote:

Oh we got through.........that was the biggest loss, I lost about 45 bombers and fighters. Lesson learned
      Might I suggest a carrier bridge next time?

You need a couple carriers for close air support on the landing zone. Once you get a province with a functional airbase in south america you are only two or three carrier hops away from sending all your planes over in groups equal to carrier capacity. If you are crossing from spain to the carolinas you need 7 carriers, plus an island. I am going to say day 25 to 30 on this screenshot. Two lane atlantic carrier bridge, one lane for each country, as you can't use another players carriers.

Bridge construction courtesy of @EJensen
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<