When creating a game, allow for setting a maximum level

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When creating a game, allow for setting a maximum level

Hello all,

So here is my proposal. Make it possible for players to set both a minimum AND a maximum for the players able to play the maps they create. I think a window of 15 levels higher and 15 levels lower than the player itself is would be quite reasonable. Maybe drop this option after something like level 60 has been reached?

I think it would be more fun for new players to learn the ropes of the game as they verse players of somewhat equal experience. There is plenty of information around through chat and the forum to speed up your learning curve anyway.

I'm saying this because whenever I now a days play maps with a lot of low level players, they just seem to end up as food for higher level players. I imagine this to be quite frusterating and not very fun.

Wonder what people think on this,

Kind regards,

Edepedable
    • I like what i believe you are saying, but would like to add that a players rank is not always a true representation on how good they are in a one on one fight, but rather more how many games they have played and a weighted overall performance. Ranking is a very good representation of how experienced a player is, but not necessarily how good they are. I have been in many a CoW game where the winner has not been the highest ranking player. There is so many factors that can affect how the game goes, including but not limited to the following:-
      1. Map placement;
      2. Neighbours;
      3. Attendance (how often are you online);
      4. Luck.
      Having said all of the above, I cant see why CoW could not allow bracketing of rank for some games, in order to restrict game participation, maybe more so for beginners, and maybe those at the top.
    • That is all true. The point I am trying to make is that it is a lot tougher for inexperienced players to fight experienced players then it is for an experienced bad player to fight an experienced good player.

The difference in experience on top of being good or bad at the game creates to much of a difference in my opinion.

So that is why I think it is more fun for lower level players to learn the game among their piers. You need a bigger tutorial then just one map.
    • But the restrictions shouldn't be too strong. You should not be allowed to only ask for players level 1 to 10, especially because early leveling is so quick. Maybe players level 1 to 20 could work though, or just start with minimum of 50 level range (levels 1 to 50, 21-70, or 51-100) for implementation, and if it works, it can be increased. Or set ranges to select from.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • Edepedable wrote:

That is all true. The point I am trying to make is that it is a lot tougher for inexperienced players to fight experienced players then it is for an experienced bad player to fight an experienced good player.

The difference in experience on top of being good or bad at the game creates to much of a difference in my opinion.

So that is why I think it is more fun for lower level players to learn the game among their piers. You need a bigger tutorial then just one map.

On one hand I really like this idea. It makes good practical sense.

However,

I have learned much more by losing to a more experienced player than I ever have from defeating a less experienced player. I study my own mistakes and missteps and learn from them. Some can be corrected within that game, and sometimes it cannot.

So I really have a mixed opinion on this suggestion. If you coddle new players they still will not be ready to deal with an aggressive experienced player whenever that time comes.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

On one hand I really like this idea. It makes good practical sense.

However,

I have learned much more by losing to a more experienced player than I ever have from defeating a less experienced player. I study my own mistakes and missteps and learn from them. Some can be corrected within that game, and sometimes it cannot.

So I really have a mixed opinion on this suggestion. If you coddle new players they still will not be ready to deal with an aggressive experienced player whenever that time comes.
      Great point, besides, the CoW community might not be big enough to handle level restrictions for custom games. If we do add level restrictions though, it should be limited on the size of the range. At least 50 levels maybe, but then maybe there's no point in it anymore.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Same, I have also learned a lot from losing to better players. The other side however is just as true, I have also learned a lot from winning. There are multiple ways to behold this subject.

But by giving players the option to set a restriction, that would mean that they can do both. Lose and learn aswel as win and learn. Since doing both will make their level grow doing either one or both would still eventually add them to the shark tank anyway. Besides, since players can only create 1 game per month there will be plenty of maps around with different level settings. Especially if it is dropped after say level 40, 50 or 60 or whatever would turn out to work best.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Edepedable ().