Lost Production

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lost Production

We lose production of a unit if we are part way through producing a unit and start producing another type of unit.
      Do we have to?
      We have production queuing of up to x5 units (if you have high command).
      If you stop construction of a building part way through construction - this is recorded and labelled as damaged, and you can start again later where you left off. Maybe something could be done similar with unit production?
      You are allowed to queue up to x5 units. Maybe the level of production of that unit can be shown in the production queue shown on screen. CoW could then allow you to change where the unit is in the production queue up to five units, such that if a later unit in the queue is suddenly given a higher priority, its position in the queue can be changed and the level of production retained with that unit, and still shown in the production queue, although now that unit is not the one being produced.
      I would also like to add here also the idea I have posted elsewhere of having full visibility of the two queues (please see my other post under the ''two queues'' title). The two queues being one for x5 construction buildings and the other for x5 production units.
    • Edepedable is correct, but I would argue then why dont we have it that you have to restart your buildings if you stop and start building something else. You have to if you change your minds with producing a unit/equipment, or even change your minds with research. Both of these you have to restart from scratch. I wonder if this ability to restart construction of a building is really a bonus feature that actually came about because CoW wanted someway of recording damage to buildings and wanting to let you rebuild/repair.
      With any strategy you have to work with what you have.
      My arguement here would be that a tank that is half built doesn''t disappear in reality if you pause building it. Research in reality doesn't get forgotten if you pause researching it. How accurate do we want this game to be? How much harder is it for the game designers to make improvements to the game to incorporate what I am saying and make the game more realistic.
      Obviously until then we have to run with what is available to make our strategies work best.
      I am only making suggestions that possibly the game designers could make in future amendments to this game.
      Maybe these suggestions might be too hard to do, or maybe not, I am not a programmer, but if we don''t put suggestions forward, they have less likely hood of happening.
    • I am also a big fan of doing suggestions. Though I do think a lot of things in the game are the way they are for a reason. I think that this is why the game works so well strategicly. Before I make a suggestion I always first try thinking of reasons why things are they way they are.

A good reason imo to not to let players continue training a unit after they aborted it is because it makes people able to summon 'sudden armies'. What if you train a couple of different units and abort every one before completion. You can then later quickly finish all the last couple of build minuits for these units and surprise an enemy with a province full of units that he thought was empty. It would be like making units suddenly with gold, without the use of gold. Does not sound like fun to me.

Second, in times of war resources were precious. If something was no longer being built, they gave it a new purpose. Say you were training a tank division and you change your mind into building a battleship. In real live they would have poored the steel into making the battleship.

It might help if you do not see units such as tanks as individual tanks. But as a multitude of tanks and personel. If you need a battleship instead of a tank brigade you do not leave 50 unfinished tanks around the shop. The resources and manpower are redistributed to do other things, as is reflected in the game.

Training time also reflects this. If you look at the tech tree for infantry, you get 1942 infantry 4 days later than 1938 infantry. So that would make one day about 1 year. Meaning if you decide to change your mind, it would make little sense to have future tank crew wait around for a couple of years until they are needed again.

So no I don't think being able to continue building units should be in the game, for various reasons.