THE GOLD

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Let's begin by remembering that criticizing the current state of gold isn't the same as rejecting its existence as part of the game. Here are some aspects of the current situation that can be seen as problems, along with potential solutions for each problem.

Problem: Gold use is essentially concealed from other players, up until they're being overrun by planet-sized armies. See, a big part of strategy games is reflecting on what happened, and trying to figure out what allowed you to win, but more importantly what made you lose. The problem with gold is that sometimes it might be unclear as to whether or not you lost because of something you did wrong, or because the other guy spent some gold on a reveal all and an extra lvl 3 medium tank... or even an extra 10 stack army that could have been made legit since the reveal all you got 2 days ago. You see where the problem is? The game doesn't tell you! For dedicated players, the pain of not knowing is sometimes worse than the actual situation. It stifles player growth and turns people away.
      Potential Solution: Early in the thread, Jeff the Valiant mentioned showing gold use in players' stats. This seems to be a good idea in my book. I can already hear people saying that this would make people spend less on gold, since they would be shamed by other players. If anyone is of this opinion, one counter is that there is not necessarily any proof of this. Secondly, the major gold users that really bring the cash are extremely obvious, and most likely receive shame anyway. This solution is not towards those types of players anyway; It's in response to those who maybe use smaller amounts of gold, and you at least want to know for sure if your enemy used it on you, just like you know if they have High Command. I think dedicated players who sink hours in the game at least deserve to know if other players in their match have used, and are using gold, before they sink even more hours in. Perhaps this can at least be used by attentive players to make alliances against gold users, or even with them.

Problem: Dedicated players are at the mercy of gold users in normal matches. This is simply the standard gold problem, which is that gold users have extreme advantages over all other players. This by itself is the purpose of gold, but there should be a place for players to go that still provides revenue to Bytro. Sure, there are some players that can fight off some gold users, as there are always outliers in situations like this. Additionally, there is definitely something to be said about the average skill of gold users, and how some of the big spenders can still be monumentally outplayed by experienced players. However, those situations seem to be the minority, and those players can continue to play matches against gold users if they want.
      Potential Solution: It's been suggested before, but that doesn't mean it's not optimal or feasible: Matches where you can spend a gold fee/High Command to join. If successful enough, perhaps a few current features of gold be removed, such as buying manpower, since they would no longer rely so much on mid-game gold spending. Who said this entry fee had to be cheap? The fee's price could be adjusted based on what's most profitable. Perhaps these payed matches have extra features as opposed to free maps. Point is, things can be done with this, and it should keep being considered.

In conclusion, we have to remember that this is an evolving game, and we shouldn't give up on things we really want. I think every idea with weight should be pushed to its fullest, and if the developers themselves tell us it can't be applied at all, no matter what, at any time in 1 year or 100 years, then we stop. We shouldn't stop ourselves, because then what's the point in fighting for meaningful change if we're our own biggest obstacle? Does anyone really think this game will be the same in 2 to 4 years? There are many aspects of this game that are completely unrecognizable (which the RestoreCanvas people made quite clear), so one could argue that there will be many new features in this game in the near and far future. We should be there to guide that change, instead of just settling for what we have and being complacent. Bytro cares about the game, and they care what we have to say, so we should keep saying things.
    • I'm my very first game, CoW 1.0 tutorial Clash of Nations as Romania, I encountered a gold user playing as Southern USA. I picked up on the gold use pretty early because his technology was rapidly outstripping mine despite the fact that I had a research going continuously. I played the game, as best I knew how at that point, and was doing rather well. I was becoming a significant force in Europe.

I stood alone against the confederates and their Finnish ally. My force was primarily armored at this point and I had very little navy to speak of. It wasn't long before an invasion fleet shows up off Yugoslavia. I elected to push into Finland in an attempt to make it a 1-on-1 fight. They came at me with everything and ended up barely falling short of taking my capitol. I began a counterattack and was pushing into former Russian territory when a stack of bombers appears from thin air followed by three railroad guns and a stack of armored forces.

I had no answer for it and it would be days before I could build a counter for it. Inexperienced, I pushed on in a vain attempt to dislodge this existential threat. My armored forces juked and jived, avoiding air force attacks for a time before turning back and engaging the railroad guns. The assault was doomed to failure, though I didn't know it at the time, and eventually my force was destroyed. It was just a matter of time at that point.

Dejected, I took to global chat to ask why I never see anyone complaining about gold use. People complain about everything, it seemed impossible. The moderator told me "Do your best, disparaging comments about gold users is prohibited". Ok, it makes sense.

I must admit I was a bit discouraged. I thought I had played a good game, particularly for my first effort, but all my effort was washed away with a lot of help from gold use. I thought, I could have won in a fair fight. However, in the time since this game I have not encountered gold use on this scale and I have learned some important lessons to counter its use.

1. Avoid attrition warfare with gold users. Primarily this impacts artillery, air and naval forces. Gold users can heal damage at will. Engaging them at range is counter productive, the units must be engaged and destroyed completely, lest they come back full strength. Avoid combat until you have the local advantage.

2. It's the economy, stupid (Carville, not being insulting). To gold units, you need resources. Of course you can gold them up too, but that gets real expensive real fast. Do the math sometime on how much gold you would need to spend to rush 10 light tanks including the resources and insta-completing them, it's probably ten times what you would get for winning the round. To capitalize on this fact, build your own industry and expand (methodically, not recklessly). Also, attempt to take important territory from gold users when the opportunity presents. Of course, this applies to all games, but in the long run of the game, economy wins.

For instance, here's my economy on day 10 1939 campaign:

Good luck overcoming that with gold.
    • Spite_Is_Right wrote:

I'm my very first game, CoW 1.0 tutorial Clash of Nations as Romania, I encountered a gold user playing as Southern USA. I picked up on the gold use pretty early because his technology was rapidly outstripping mine despite the fact that I had a research going continuously. I played the game, as best I knew how at that point, and was doing rather well. I was becoming a significant force in Europe.

I stood alone against the confederates and their Finnish ally. My force was primarily armored at this point and I had very little navy to speak of. It wasn't long before an invasion fleet shows up off Yugoslavia. I elected to push into Finland in an attempt to make it a 1-on-1 fight. They came at me with everything and ended up barely falling short of taking my capitol. I began a counterattack and was pushing into former Russian territory when a stack of bombers appears from thin air followed by three railroad guns and a stack of armored forces.

I had no answer for it and it would be days before I could build a counter for it. Inexperienced, I pushed on in a vain attempt to dislodge this existential threat. My armored forces juked and jived, avoiding air force attacks for a time before turning back and engaging the railroad guns. The assault was doomed to failure, though I didn't know it at the time, and eventually my force was destroyed. It was just a matter of time at that point.

Dejected, I took to global chat to ask why I never see anyone complaining about gold use. People complain about everything, it seemed impossible. The moderator told me "Do your best, disparaging comments about gold users is prohibited". Ok, it makes sense.

I must admit I was a bit discouraged. I thought I had played a good game, particularly for my first effort, but all my effort was washed away with a lot of help from gold use. I thought, I could have won in a fair fight. However, in the time since this game I have not encountered gold use on this scale and I have learned some important lessons to counter its use.

1. Avoid attrition warfare with gold users. Primarily this impacts artillery, air and naval forces. Gold users can heal damage at will. Engaging them at range is counter productive, the units must be engaged and destroyed completely, lest they come back full strength. Avoid combat until you have the local advantage.

2. It's the economy, stupid (Carville, not being insulting). To gold units, you need resources. Of course you can gold them up too, but that gets real expensive real fast. Do the math sometime on how much gold you would need to spend to rush 10 light tanks including the resources and insta-completing them, it's probably ten times what you would get for winning the round. To capitalize on this fact, build your own industry and expand (methodically, not recklessly). Also, attempt to take important territory from gold users when the opportunity presents. Of course, this applies to all games, but in the long run of the game, economy wins.

people are using gold in the g dam tutorial?
      when being betrayed betray
    • Larry is god lol lol wrote:

Spite_Is_Right wrote:

I'm my very first game, CoW 1.0 tutorial Clash of Nations as Romania, I encountered a gold user playing as Southern USA. I picked up on the gold use pretty early because his technology was rapidly outstripping mine despite the fact that I had a research going continuously. I played the game, as best I knew how at that point, and was doing rather well. I was becoming a significant force in Europe.

people are using gold in the g dam tutorial?
      Sadly, yes. I honestly wish I could find that archive game because I had the introductory HC and I left some truly epic news articles. One got a good laugh from my wife and that's no easy task.
    • Or you do like me and you never use gold but just stockpile up the gold from your wins, achievements, rewards, events and by watching the advertisement video's online. I've got quite a bit of gold saved up for that rainy day where I meet a player that uses gold. :thumbsup:
      Files
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • I think that golders are big part of this game and without them this game would be developing mutch slower. Soo when you incounter golder in game, tell him "thank you" because he is helping developers and others to make living out of this job and then they can spend more time working on game. Gold is super expensive soo those few who can and want to spend that mitch money, go for it, i would be happy to get over runed by you guys!!!
      Фарис Синановић, Суна
    • BMfox wrote:

Or you do like me and you never use gold but just stockpile up the gold from your wins, achievements, rewards, events and by watching the advertisement video's online. I've got quite a bit of gold saved up for that rainy day where I meet a player that uses gold. :thumbsup:
      meanwhile i am here with just 30k gold....
      “ To command is to serve, nothing more and nothing less.”

For support ticket click here

forum rank list(the better one)

join my discord server>discord.gg/nbydn7sEaS

:00010166: