How to Counter Germany as Poland in "Historic World War" Game Mode

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • How to Counter Germany as Poland in "Historic World War" Game Mode

      I am creating this thread because I have seen many people as Poland fall to Germany really easily in the "Historic World War" game mode. I am not saying this counter will work ALL the time but it will give you an edge on Germany. Basically the plan goes like this:

      1st: Try to be allies with Germany. War is not everything.

      2nd: If he attacks you, then your war plan should be like this:

      2a. Build IC's ASAP. Building units faster will give you an edge on you enemy.

      2b. Replace militia to good defensive positions (cities and wherever his armies are pointing). Usually, the piece of land caught between main land of Germany and the separate part of it will be overrun pretty quick so don't focus too much attention there. I placed 2 fighter planes to patrol his armor cars invading from the North and a few militia regiments too (just make sure he doesn't put his main force over there).

      2c. This is the part where YOU make the comeback. Use infantry and armored cars to catch small lands behind Germany's army. He then will panic and retreat. While doing that, build tactical bombers to patrol and attack, infantry to defend, artillery to attack from distances and light tanks to face his army head on.

      2d. He then will realize your plan and then attack your cities so place armies in cities and remaining militia in open lands.

      2e. From there on, it's all up to you. I would stay far from his army and build a bunch of tac bombers and artillery so you don't have to face him head-on. Also if he get's close to capitol move it asap to make sure you always have a capital keeping your morale up.

      3rd: Try to get allies such as Romania or USSR or Sweden to help you counter/defend.

      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      If you play smart, you might just prevail against the tyranny of Germany. Please send back suggestion/criticism to make our plan better. Thanks!
    • OK so in my current battle I am defeating Germany. The play of forts do help with defense of infantry and militia and yes you will definitely have to to build the counter if you distract Germany well enough. Also Poland does start with an Armored car so you can use that to distract him. Also I forgot to mention back in my previous article that you want to build AA for Germany's heavy air. That will help for sure. I am just about to take over Germany's unguarded capital too. This war plan will not ALL the time but will help for sure.
    • Also yes this war plan is for ONLY when the east German army is attacking you, NOT the combined force. After you take out his east forces you would want to start building a formidable air to take out his west troops coming to towards you. Germany's west troops will take a LONG time to arrive because of the AA and AT in his armies.
    • Iczz wrote:

      I am creating this thread because I have seen many people as Poland fall to Germany really easily in the "Historic World War" game mode. I am not saying this counter will work ALL the time but it will give you an edge on Germany. Basically the plan goes like this:1st: Try to be allies with Germany. War is not everything.


      2nd: If he attacks you, then your war plan should be like this:

      2a. Build IC's ASAP. Building units faster will give you an edge on you enemy.

      2b. Replace militia to good defensive positions (cities and wherever his armies are pointing). Usually, the piece of land caught between main land of Germany and the separate part of it will be overrun pretty quick so don't focus too much attention there. I placed 2 fighter planes to patrol his armor cars invading from the North and a few militia regiments too (just make sure he doesn't put his main force over there).

      2c. This is the part where YOU make the comeback. Use infantry and armored cars to catch small lands behind Germany's army. He then will panic and retreat. While doing that, build tactical bombers to patrol and attack, infantry to defend, artillery to attack from distances and light tanks to face his army head on.

      2d. He then will realize your plan and then attack your cities so place armies in cities and remaining militia in open lands.

      2e. From there on, it's all up to you. I would stay far from his army and build a bunch of tac bombers and artillery so you don't have to face him head-on. Also if he get's close to capitol move it asap to make sure you always have a capital keeping your morale up.

      3rd: Try to get allies such as Romania or USSR or Sweden to help you counter/defend.

      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      If you play smart, you might just prevail against the tyranny of Germany. Please send back suggestion/criticism to make our plan better. Thanks!
      That is true, many people do fall.
      • I like the part that you talk about diplomacy. Sometimes diplomacy is better than war, i mean like less war with strong countries.
      • I actually think that if he attacks you, try to bribe him. (give 2000 money and get peace)
      • 2a is really really smart, build lots of them but i also recommend building Infrastructure.
      • Never attack with militia
      • For 2c it depends on what day you are on. If you are on day 1-10 what you wrote is describing strong armies, if it is after that and you still have weak armies, then you need some improvements. Your army is too weak, try to upgrade you infrastructure et cetera. Build tanks, Artillery and if you are in day 70 or about that, you MUST have strong weapons or you are really behind. Rockets, nuclear stuff heavy tank( it is really slow) RR guns instead of artillery and maybe more secret stuff.
      • He will first attack bordered land then cities and he might as well destroy your resource productions, so always keep in mind of that. ALL BORDERS SHOULD BE MANNED.
      • 3 rd is really right. As i said always put on PEACE on your friends.
      I hope this helps. :)
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • Maybe you should ally with both Germany and USSR and start invading Slovakia, Hungary, Baltics, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, so you and USSR can backstab Germany

      Dreams wilder than Rambo movies. All in all Poland is a terrible country to start off, it is actually a real diplomatic challenge, because only Yugoslavia and Sweden can save you in those occasions. :beer:
    • Being friends with more people is the best idea to succeed
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • Iczz wrote:

      2b: Replace militia to good defensive positions (cities and wherever his armies are pointing).
      The only good defensive position for a militia is forrest and hills where they get 75% bonus. In a city infantry are better.

      Iczz wrote:

      2d. He then will realize your plan and then attack your cities so place armies in cities and remaining militia in open lands.
      Militia in open lands? They will get slaughtered by tanks or AC, never ever defend on open flat land where tanks get a bonus. Defend in cities, hills, forests and mountains.

      Sometimes it's better to retreat a few provinces, grouping your whole army and counter attack. Provinces you can take back but armies stay dead forever.

      RYANWEN wrote:

      I actually think that if he attacks you, try to bribe him. (give 2000 money and get peace)
      I would just take your bribe and keep attacking ;)


      RYANWEN wrote:

      He will first attack bordered land then cities and he might as well destroy your resource productions, so always keep in mind of that. ALL BORDERS SHOULD BE MANNED.
      You don't have the manpower to man all borders, when Germany attacks one border province with a big stack he will break trough your line immediately. Divide and conquer Julius Caesar said.

      Sometimes it's better to retreat a few provinces, grouping your whole army and counter attack. Provinces you can take back but armies stay dead forever.
      BMfox
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • BMfox wrote:


      RYANWEN wrote:

      I actually think that if he attacks you, try to bribe him. (give 2000 money and get peace)
      I would just take your bribe and keep attacking ;)

      RYANWEN wrote:

      He will first attack bordered land then cities and he might as well destroy your resource productions, so always keep in mind of that. ALL BORDERS SHOULD BE MANNED.
      You don't have the manpower to man all borders, when Germany attacks one border province with a big stack he will break trough your line immediately. Divide and conquer Julius Caesar said.
      Sometimes it's better to retreat a few provinces, grouping your whole army and counter attack. Provinces you can take back but armies stay dead forever.
      Hmmm.... That never happened, but that is a BIG betrayal... That is REALLY possible.
      That is true, just stating never did that myself because i cannot. But if YOU CAN try... Never bother trying but i normally attack with a big unit grouped with all different small units so ...
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • This is all good until a) Russia is all like "heyyyyyy lemme just take all your lands you won't mind right" or b) Germany finds someone to ally with, possibly your neighbors, who then also attacks you. Playing as Poland is all about luck. Will Germany be a good player or a bad one? Will the USSR ally with me or Germany? Who will stay active and who will not? My AI once beat Germany as Poland on the 73p ACAI map, because Germany was a bad player. Defending as Poland is both incredibly easy and impossibly difficult.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel