Leader Unit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Leader Unit

Do you like this idea? 4
        Yes! (3) 75%
        Needs work (0) 0%
        It's bad! (1) 25%
      Hi
      I have a suggestion that would change the mechanics of the game a lot and in a way that I think would be for the better. At the start of every game, there is the leader of the country. It is like a troop, however there can only be one at a time and can only be produced in the Capital. It immediately starts in the Capital, and it gives a boost 15% morale boost to the province it's in. Provinces in the close vicinity get a 5-7% boost. The leader is very slow, and doesn't have much health, so it needs to be protected by infantry. However, a rocket strike or bombing attack does reduced damage against the Leader (to keep it balances and because realistically, the leader would hide in a bunker if there was a rocket threat.)
      Now, if the leader dies, all the core provinces lose 15-20% morale, however non core provinces lose 10-15% morale. The leader will automatically start reproducing in the Capital, and would take 36 hours. It would take seniority over any other troops being produced there, and would immediately place them behind the leader. This option would, of course, be able to be disabled if you don't want it in a specific game.
      Reasons why this would be good:

1. It adds a new level of strategy, you need to decide how you will play your leader. Would you keep him in the Capital so he doesn't die, or put him in war zones to boost morale.
      2. It spices up the game a bit.
      3. It adds another choice if people get bored of certain mechanics of the game.
      4. Changes the morale mechanics, imo, for the better.
      Opinions and suggestions are welcome! :thumbsup:
    • I like this idea, you could have the leader unit be like the generals in civilization like CoralWar said. I'd suggest that they would be more militaristic in nature, if they are put into a stack of units, those units get a boost in all stats, better in combat, more speed, etc. However, you could only have 5 Generals at one time, to make it balanced.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • I would prefer JCS Darragh's proposal to have a new military unit that can be added to a stack.

As I see it, ideally with these features - would then name it "commander":
      As soon as a nation has gained 20.000 manpower (I'm not talking about the amount it has in stock, but about the accumulated income), a commander emerges in the capital. Then after it has gained 50.000 manpower another one, after 90.000 manpower one more, after 140.000 one more and so on.
      This unit doesn't do any damage and has no HP. It dies if the stack it's in is killed completely (which I would consider realistic, since commanders usually avoid enemy contact and you have to defeat the regular troops first before you can catch one).
      With every kill the stack containing the commander does, it gains experience. I propose as many as the defeated unit gives military points to the player stats - so for example killing an infantry gives +4 experience to the commander, killing a cruiser +20 et cetera.
      When reaching a certain amount of XP, the commander rises in rank, for example:
      0 XP: rank Sergeant, +2% damage for the stack it's in
      30 XP: rank Lieutenant, +5% damage for the stack it's in
      70 XP: rank Colonel, +10% damage for the stack it's in
      120 XP: rank Brigadier General, +15% damage for the stack it's in
      200 XP: rank Major General, +20% damage for the stack it's in
      300 XP: rank General of the Army, +25% damage for the stack it's in
      500 XP: rank General of the Armies, +30% damage for the stack it's in

One shouldn't be able to add commanders to an air stack.

When travelling alone, a commander moves quite fast. If that should be easy to implement, even at flight speed in between two air fields with 500km or less distance in between.
      But of course any attack would kill the commander immediately if he's not stacked with other units.
    • Possible refinement - also if easy to implement: There could be a distinction between commanders at land and at sea.
      If the commander gains his first experience in a stack on the ground, he will from then on give his bonus only to land force stacks. If he gains his first XP in a stack at sea, he will from then on give his bonus only to naval stacks and the nomenclature of his ranks is changed to the naval ranks from Captain to Admiral.