Please reduce carrier research effort

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Please reduce carrier research effort

I played 4 games (all until the end) as a coastal country on either 100player world map or 50player Pacific map. Even in these it made pretty no sense to research carriers. Which is a pity, because they're a beautiful unit that's fun to play with. Also they actually did play a role in WW2 - they were of essential importance in the war between Japan and USA and that would have equally been the case for any major or medium powers fighting each other with an ocean in between.

Latest balancing update made it worse - increasing the oil consumption of planes made carriers an even less considerable option.

So carriers in CoW need a buff.
      Increasing their values or reducing production costs would be too strikingly unrealistic. Therefore I propose reducing costs and time required for researching them. Result would be that it would then make sense to research carriers and build a few of them in some situations, but still never to build very many of them. Which would improve both gameplay / variety of reasonable strategic options as well as realism.
    • I agree that they were very important during WW2, including the Dolittle raid.

I agree completely. You can only use naval bomber at first, until you upgrade your other bombers. They're also too expensive to research, build and support. I love using them, but sometimes they're so useless, it's annoying. I've only used them to my advantage once, when I needed to attack America in the Europe maps, and even then, I only used them until I could establish a base in Cuba.

Changing the research would work perfectly. Great idea!
    • Well, I don't agree that they are too expensive. I research carriers whenever I play a 100p map and I'm NOT playing some inland Asian country. And then, use them with great success, also because my enemies do NOT build them. Maybe because they THINK it is too expensive? ;)

Having said that, I think the day where tacs can be based on them could be moved forward a bit. Usually around day 20 continents are more or less secured, but you have to wait until day 26 (=day 24 plus tac-4 research) to use them in their best role: to support intercontinental invasion. I'd support moving forward the "carrier-based-tac-day" to day 20, or if it is problematic because the tac research schedule itself cannot be changed, even to day 16.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I'd support moving forward the "carrier-based-tac-day" to day 20, or if it is problematic because the tac research schedule itself cannot be changed, even to day 16.
      I have found that in the 100 player maps that it is easy to have your continent secured within your coalition by day 18 or so, and then there is a lull for a week while preparing the carriers and planes for an intercontinental invasion. It sort of drags the game down a bit.

If tacs became carrier capable at level 3 it would reduce this lag phase. Level 2 and 3 carriers don't have a lot of capacity, so it keeps them from being too overpowering, as well as the build times for level 3 naval bases and actual carrier production will keep them from being very numerous in the early 20's days anyway.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • The "Market Overhaul" update made it close to impossible to play outside a coalition on the 100player world map and 50player Pacific map (which are the only ones relevant for carriers).
      So I now take back this thread and mark it as closed, because one of your coalition members should for sure research and build carriers.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

Therefore I propose reducing costs and time required for researching them. Result would be that it would then make sense to research carriers and build a few of them in some situations, but still never to build very many of them. Which would improve both gameplay / variety of reasonable strategic options as well as realism.
      I agree that they were very important during WW2, particularly in the naval encounters in the Pacific between Japan and the US starting with Pearl Harbor in late 1941 ... If there was a way to have carriers capable of using interceptors and tac bombers by about day 12 or 13 of the game it would be awesome ...