How to remove/disable chat feature to plug the memory leak in the game page

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to remove/disable chat feature to plug the memory leak in the game page

Yeah, so here goes.

I guess people can't always understand my way of leading in a discussion. As it happens, I will not be choosing to use the chat feature in Call of War, anymore. My reasons will not be discussed here. But suffice to say that, despite my attempts to get along with certain people in the chats, we just don't see eye to eye, and the potential for conflict has taken away from my ability to both enjoy the game as well as use the chats as a good platform in which to communicate with my fellow Call of War community members.

Alas, that conflict is just not worth trying to use the official chat system to communicate with my fellow Call of War community members. For several years, even though I have contributed to both the culture and spirit of this game, I no longer feel welcome within the community that I helped to forge in its current form. Though some few would say my contributions to the community are less than I purport here, my numerous and endless forum posts and many luminous chat discussions — as well as the positive responses of many of those discussions' participants — easily prove the contrary to those others' suppositions.

Unlike many users — if not most — I actually care about the chats and have tried to be a person that both helpfully answers questions as well as tries to keep the various discussions lively and fun. The good people of the Call of War community who remain with the official chat system shall just have to make do without my spirited, colorful, passionate, joyful, and oft eloquent, chat participation.

~O~

Though I do enjoy chatting with my fellows in Call of War's chat system, it has become too much of a burden for me to endure. Like many others before me, I have resigned to accept that the in-game chat system is not a place where my contributions can be fully appreciated and thus I must endeavor to find a suitable substitute...one which actually has more than just a small handful of the community participating.

And while I must go out and find my own new chat format, there is a pressing issue with the existing in-game chat that must be dealt with. For you see, even though I would choose to no longer utilize the in-game chat system, it is still casting a burden upon the game for mine — and others' — web browsers. While this problem is not alone in the list of errors and bugs and other unintentional "features" of the game, it should certainly be placed into a priority status.

You see, this current and long-existing problem is the one in which many (if not all) various browsers suffer from a horrible memory leak caused by this game. Now, I've traced the problem....at least, in part....to the near-endless record of past chat messages that keep adding up without getting deleted from the local copy. The extra space required by this and other sequentially-historical elements to the game data continue to demand more and more system memory over time, from when the game page is first opened until you deliberately close it or it crashes from a memory overflow issue. The work-around has always been to close and reopen the web browser....the whole browser.

This problem may never get fixed despite my past pleas to address this very important issue. And it is an issue that certainly is going to require more than just fixing the chat system to fully solve. Perhaps the dev team has less-than-ideal experience in authoring well-constructed memory management design....who's to say? Of course, I would be happy to collaborate with them in improving the situation, should they ever wish to enlist me as one of their chief software architects. However, the odds of them consulting me and my professional expertise are indeed remote.

~O~

To the point at hand; for those of us who either choose not to use the in-game chats, or for some reason can't use the chats, we need to be able to remove or disable the chat feature altogether so that at least a portion of the memory space can stop getting sucked up by an inaccessible "feature" of the game. Now, if this ability to disable the chats is already a hidden user control, it's certainly not something that I've learned about in my many solid years of experience with the ins and outs of this game.

So, if there is a way to fully remove the chats, please describe that here. And if not, please forward this sensible request into the hands of those that are able to make that happen. This likely-simplistic new control would create a very easy workaround to at least one of the big problems with this game. Surely there are lots of players that would like to permanently remove the chat feature...or at least be able to check off a box in the front page settings to make the interface not download or load for the game (until such control setting is deliberately unselected).

Anyway, since I won't posit this suggestion in the chats, I do hope that someone on staff takes this request seriously — here in the forums — and elevates this thread to the dev team.

That's all I have to say for now.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Post is too long. Please compound.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • That's what all the white space and the big print is for...as well as this:

-------> ~O~
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Diablo Mayor wrote:

Sorry, you lost me about 3 sentences into the second paragraph. I usually don't like to read novels on forums. Any cliff's notes of this available?
      Just jump to the first paragraph of the third section....8th. paragraph in total.

I know this is not the preferred method of making requests or reporting problems, but my conversational format is telling a story about the problem. And to any that are willing to listen, I'm kinda pouring out my soul, here, as the problem has affected me and is compounded by my choices as well as that of many of the other users who have the same compounded problem that I am experiencing (details are found only in the main post).

Additionally to that, I'm describing why the problem is a problem (as it might not be perceived to be so without the explanation) and how it affects me as well as affects all the others who have to deal with this dilemma. I further describe how this is a sub-part to a larger problem within the game when it comes to system memory issues.

Now I am specifically requesting a very simplistic workaround that I know the devs could implement. It does not actually solve the bigger problem, but it does address mine -- and all those other users' -- problems with the chat system. If you want to really understand the problem, you'll just have to reach my original post. And if the devs care about fixing the problem (or at least implementing the workaround), then they'll have to read the original post as well.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Have you checked if the chat server runs on a different port than the game? That would be a simple fix, and would have taken less effort than writing this post ;) I have seen a few times on free wifi that I could load the game, but not connect to the chat server.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<