Can Admin Video competition game.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can Admin Video competition game.

As you know the success of esport. I was thinking wouldn't it be great if Admin could video record the competition games. They could edit it and record as they see fit. Including close up animation of important or decisive battles.

Overall you can have the main map which can be played in fast time to show the progress, then edit in certain closer clips of battle in fast time.

This would make it a proper little sport for the Twitch channels.

It just occured to me today that i would love to see Lord and his alliance B.U.M play Deci Legio and the Devastators Play FFA in the Knock out phase. It would be fascinating. I would also love to see the Russian Bears play and PSF and others.

Perhaps you might take some notes from Osprey and their historical War re enactments ( found on you tube). To how best narrate and plot the games.

Is it possible COW can hire someone here with those skills, It easy technically easy to do but requires - 24/7 Video running.

Then every day you have to edit it and play the daily updates. Would be great promotion for the game and the E sport.
    • If they were to do this, it would only be for select competitions, and for the most part should be sped up to speed up the viewing process. Most importantly though, what does Bytro personally gain from helping with this? Will this cost gold to video games or just straight-out money? Do you expect it to be a free service? Maybe just start with a spectating option that becomes available when the game is full and started, and then you can gradually move on from there.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • The service is provided or at least subsidized by Bytro. It does not cost the players anything. It does not cost the viewers anything.

I am not sure you understand the reasoning behind the idea. Bytro gains exposure which in turn increases membership. It is a positive cycle. It has proven successfull in FPS games like CSGO which has started an multi million dollar Esport.

Now there is are Esports for most games.

My reference to Osprey would be to appeal to a particular section on interest. FPS fans may not be so interested to watch these competitions games,whereas people that have never played COW but enjoy strategic battle might actually be interested. So you have that exposure for it to grow.
    • If you video it though, when the video is being viewed, it needs a speed multiplier so you don't just watch 30 days of gameplay (make sure a disclaimer is included to tell viewers gameplay takes much longer). The speed multipliers also need to vary by map (generally faster for small maps, and slower for large maps). The games that are recorded should also be a low count so the servers can handle it, so the Player's League, Dirty Dozen and other community group competitions would be great candidates. Also the newspaper statistic for the day should appear every time at day change for around 5 seconds (they can pause if they want). You should also show OPTIONAL notifications for daily activities from every player (some options that could be turned on/off may include buildings finished or researches started/finished (anything that is typically invisible to other players)). The fog of war would obviously be off - meaning you can see unit movements of every nation (but they should mention that's not accurate). So many details to worry about, I'm starting to wonder if Bytro would even attempt all of it.

Something to figure out is if these would be viewable during the match or are they simply replays. And would people be able to spectate any game that they are not a part of if it still is taking place? Live gameplay with full detail CANNOT be permitted because players may use it to their advantage (ruining the game).

Still, I think a spectate feature, with extremely limited information would be necessary before this video thing can work. So it would include all the public knowledge (much of the newspaper), and the province ownership colors. The spectate feature probably should be limited to certain games (any game with it might lag more).
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

• Great News.

Kolin17 already does these videos. Maybe if your very nice to him and ask him politely he might do this for a small fee. I would recommend introducing Kolin 17 to OSPREY battle re enactments to get an idea of the flavour that would look good and be effective in the battle scenes. In fast time of course.
    • Such a thing is not possible, and would be in violation of The General Data Protection Regulation.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Such a thing is not possible, and would be in violation of The General Data Protection Regulation.
      Does this apply to all games because Bytro is in Germany, or does it only apply when one of the players is in the EU?

Anyways if any video is allowed to be displayed, the video would have to be uninformative of where one's troops are located.

Would it be possible to make a spectator option where the spectator has no knowledge of unit locations, player names, or any specifics other than the changing map borders for each country and the newspaper stats (strongest army, most developed, best economy, richest ruler, etc.)?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lukenick ().

• VorlonFCW wrote:

Such a thing is not possible, and would be in violation of The General Data Protection Regulation.
      beep boop beep

That sounds like a lot of stupid bureaucracy to me, what exactly is this regulation? I've never heard of it (Probably because I'm from Chernobyl and we dont have laws here)
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Lukenick wrote:

Does this apply to all games because Bytro is in Germany,
      Yes.

Lukenick wrote:

Would it be possible to make a spectator option where the spectator has no knowledge of unit locations, player names, or any specifics other than the changing map borders for each country and the newspaper stats (strongest army, most developed, best economy, richest ruler, etc.)?
      I doubt that such a spectator option would be possible, but of course one of the players can take images and data from the newspaper and embellish it with some commentary. Such was done quite well by @K.Rokossovski for the players league a few seasons ago.

JCS Darragh wrote:

what exactly is this regulation?
      EU privacy laws and such.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Esports all record their games. Therefore without a doubt it is possible. I think you are misunderstanding Data protection and privacy laws.

The players are user names, they have no identity. Even so in all Esports the actual identity of the players is known. I think you are confusing this issue Vorlon.

This data and privacy has no bearing on the idea being discussed.

As of the location of players troops and size of their armies, this is not a problem because the recording or video will not be a live stream. The game is too slow for a live stream. The videos battle re enactments will trail the game by a few days, and many of the more complicated and accurate battles might take a day or 2 to re create. Also the video is edited so you use the Osprey method of showing the battle scenes. It will not be just a recording but assisted by animation and other methods, so it will not give away any secrets of the players army. This is sufficient to not interfere in the game's logistics. The actual Player advancements by map can be more accurate to time scale, updated daily.

Also you can seek player permission for the video if you feel this is necessary. The final video can also be actual battle in fast time, with real depictions for the final video.

This Idea can only enhance the sport of COW and encourage a greater membership and player enrollment. It is not a bad idea and also people would like to see their work appreciated. This is a great way to do this.
    • One of my concerns with video on the battles is that it could be viewed by the players who are participating to determine how to beat these other players captured on video. The battle reenactments should not, even if they could, be available to the public until the game is over if even that is to be allowed. This video would enable people to find all of their opponents' weaknesses way too easily. They should be learning these weaknesses through combat, not through video of other battles. Videos for CoW can never display troop movements, or at least should not without the consent of the players involved.

• there are some LP on youtube that do subscriber partecipation maps or even just make updates to their match.... and as you said they have the video upload 3/4 days later to avoid the knowing postion of the army. yest a sub chord of protetion will be visible, but same will be for the spies.... just delay it and a player of the match can do it....
      for a "spectator" systme, i think the new dirty dozen get swissland as a neutral admin country, no conquering alllowed, so you could ask maps to all the player and do the video yourself then post it 3 days later.....
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • Spiffolo wrote:

there are some LP on youtube that do subscriber partecipation maps or even just make updates to their match.... and as you said they have the video upload 3/4 days later to avoid the knowing postion of the army. yest a sub chord of protetion will be visible, but same will be for the spies.... just delay it and a player of the match can do it....
      for a "spectator" systme, i think the new dirty dozen get swissland as a neutral admin country, no conquering alllowed, so you could ask maps to all the player and do the video yourself then post it 3 days later.....
      Exactly, I will check out these you tube video.

However as to battle re enactments, they will be a few days after the fact as they take time to edit and splice, but also animation can be edited so actual numbers are not shown until the final video.

I was thinking of using the Osprey method. 'Osprey' ( find it on you tube) is a historical battle re -enactment that uses maps and animation for troops. The early video could copy this style, then for the final video they can have actual troops numbers and much more accurate depictions.
    • Lukenick wrote:

I don't think that will work. Extadition MAY occur, but I doubt it. Anyways I still stand strongly against your video idea unless all players with troops visible comply to the taping of the match.
      Do you mean Re-daction.

The Troops numbers wont be visible. They will be in the final video. You have given your opinion, it is not a logical opinion.

The video of the game will not compromise the strategy or skill of the game. It will in no way give information out that is relevant to other players strategy.

Notwithstanding the above. Then i gather you approve of a end of game Video?>
    • If they examine the taped players success compared to what you'd expect against whoever it is, they may be able to say with 60% more confidence that the border they share on the opposite side of their country may be less defended than it would at other times.

If you show units, you will be compromising the strategy/skill of the players involved. Showing provinces may unfortunately do this as well, but to a lesser degree.

I would see no issue with giving a clearer view of the map borders in a video if one is to hide the armies and temporarily disable fog of war. But to give ANY video of ANY troops, no matter how limited it is, can be used by the smarter players who would know how to manipulate the necessary numbers to determine the troop locations based on the wars that took place in the past few days. Also they would be knowledgeable of the types of units that the player uses, which in itself could be very advantageous. If the players which you video their troops give consent for you to do (the taping of their troops) this, then I have no standing to deny you to do such. I'm just simply stating that any video can hurt those within the video, and there is potential standing to deny your video if they do not consent to the video that you make of their troops. And even if you want to make a video after the fact, you still need consent for those you show units in the video.

If I was looking for a video, all I would care to see in a video would be the newspaper data and the closeup of the provinces held and their morale. And the map would be shown each day for any possible changes/updates to it. This would probably still need consent for everybody within the video, unless the names are not shown. Just cover up the names in the index of nations with a black box, and you'd have to withhold the info from "the wealthiest nations" report, or rewrite it in terms of the countries.

Still, you would have to look up any of the CoW, Bytro, & EU rules regarding taping of this stuff and make sure it doesn't lead to you being banned.

• So you are happy with an end of game video highlighting Battle sequences and battle numbers in fast time. So you do agree with the Idea of video of the game of the game for a end of game release.

You do not agree with a daily video with highlights of battle's even if they are animated and do not reveal the players troops numbers or unit type. Animated _ I suggested using Osprey's method of animation of Military re enactments.

Using Osprey method none of your concerns would be an issue so we could do this.

Finally

Much of what you have said about smart players getting an 'idea' of another players army from a daily video is melodramtic.

A smart player reads the newpaper everyday and this contains all that information. You can see if they produce a railgun or a rocket, if they use rockets or have a battleship. The newspaper highlights what units were killed and hence used. If the other players units were killed by artillery or by a fighter squad.

So all the information you claim a smart player would gather is already known to the smart player that reads the newspaper.

I think LukeNick that you have given your opinion and it is factually incorrect and illogical and really has no bearing on this idea. There is no need for consent form plays and there is no legal issue in relation to privacy or eu laws or tersm and conditions. I have no real desire to hear any more of your outlandish opinions on this very basic and simple idea.

This would be a video sanctioned by Bytro and professionally edited by the admins of the game prior to release.
    • Ok, you may be right about the newspaper giving information of the unit types used and therefore what kind of units that a player may use which should be used by the smarter players. I didn't take that part into consideration when I was going over everything. And regarding the Osprey method, could you give me a link or title of a video to see exactly what it may look like, I'm not familiar with it and I keep getting things like the Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey instead.

• Hi LukeNick

Thank you. I have posted a link.

I am not sure i can post the link. Here is a you tube search , go about 12 minutes into the video to see best of the animation. Also the battle in russia is very good example.

But go to You Tube and
      Search for:

Napoleon's Great Blunder: Spain 1808