Pinned WebGL Enhanced Graphics troubleshooting

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WebGL Enhanced Graphics troubleshooting

I probably should have compiled all of this information into one place a while ago, but this is a thread to collect all of the information about WebGL in one place, rather than having the information scattered in at least half a dozen threads.

The WebGL based Enhanced Graphics have been out for quite a while now, but there are still people that occasionally discover them, and have issues.

The first question usually is: "Can I turn it off?"
      A) Yes you can switch the enhanced graphics off. From within the game you can open the settings menu in the lower right corner, and the button to toggle back and forth between enhanced graphics is near the top of the list, just under the switch to mobile button. Mobile users can also open the menu in the lower right, and then will need to click the settings gear to find this option.

HOWEVER, you really ought to give the WebGL graphics a try. They are designed to operate more smoothly and result in less lag and a better overall experience for everyone, even or perhaps especially if you have an older computer. The WebGL uses your graphics card or graphics processor to render the map, instead of using the main chip for everything.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • WebGL Enhanced Graphics Troubleshooting

Part 1: Testing and/or disabling

You should be able to switch back an forth between the two types of graphics, Enhanced and Default. If you don't have that option, or if the map fails to load properly, check these steps.

First test of troubleshooting: visit this page:

get.webgl.org/

and it should tell you that your browser supports WebGL and show you a spinning cube.

Second test: Visit this page:

browserleaks.com/webgl

And at about the 10th line, you should see this: "Major Performance Caveat False"
      If that reads true, that will disable the enhanced graphics, so you want to see the word "False"

With the "Major Performance Caveat = True" result your game will only load in the default original graphics. If you believe that you are having a problem with the enhanced graphics loading the game properly, then the browserleaks site has a fair amount of information on it, including a section on enabling or disabling the WebGL in your browser.

browserleaks.com/webgl#howto-enable-disable-webgl

If you disable the WebGL features of your browser this will ensure that you load the game in default graphics.

Fixing:

If your browser / computer failed the above tests, there are several things that you can check. These might also help if you experience some lag with the enhanced graphics, because as was mentioned earlier the expectation is that WebGL graphics will run faster, better, and smoother on all systems that are capable of running them.

1) Update your video card drivers. One player that I chatted with was not able to see the WebGL stuff on his 11 year old computer, even though that computer was top of the line at that point. I suggested to check the video card drivers, and they had not been updated in 11 years I am pleased to report that with updated drivers for the video card that the webGL test links were indeed functional.

2) Verify that your browser has "Hardware Acceleration enabled". This is a fancy phrase for "Graphics card turned on"
      In chrome you can go to this link: chrome://settings/?search=acceleration and make sure the toggle is slid to the right. Other browsers have the same setting hidden somewhere. Firefox keeps moving it so I don't know which menu it is in now.

3) This doesn't apply to all computers, but we have found that some of the high end ones, including some alienware gaming laptops need to have some settings tweaked. Open your graphics card control panel and tell your graphics card that your browser (Firefox or Chrome) shall be opened with your graphics card. The default setting is that browsers are opened with the onboard graphics card of the i7, and possibly others.

I have a suspicion that steps 2 and 3 may accomplish the same things from a different direction, but they may not in all cases. You might check performance after each step and see how it works.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

3) This doesn't apply to all computers, but we have found that some of the high end ones, including some alienware gaming laptops need to have some settings tweaked. Open your graphics card control panel and tell your graphics card that your browser (Firefox or Chrome) shall be opened with your graphics card. The default setting is that browsers are opened with the onboard graphics card of the i7, and possibly others.
      Further instructions on this for Nvidia cards specifically:

VorlonFCW

• Hi I just wondered if there is an update on this issue with regard to Tablet users. I had submitted a ticket sometime ago now as my tablet will not display the webGL graphics properly and had a response saying this was a known issue and was being worked on. My High Command membership runs out soon and I am reluctant to renew it when I cannot play the game properly. Tbh I am considering leaving the game if this issue is not fixed soon as I cannot do much when I cant see units on the map.
      kind regards
      Kai
    • The visibility of units on the map issue is not limited to tablets, but occurs here and there across all devices. This is having some updates with the next release which I believe will be next week.

Of course the enhanced graphics are a work in progress, and we expect that switching the enhanced graphics off will resolve any issues that you may have. With each improvement there are always certain devices that we find need a special tweak which takes time.

VorlonFCW

• For starters I am totally obsessed with this game on my phone since finding it. Now for the issue, I play on my phone and I have found it 10X's easier to see and control my units with "enhanced graphics" turned off. I understand your push to have the enhanced graphics because its a cool look. But I can not see where my units are as easily. So i play on my phone but after about 10 minutes of playing, the game restarts and the enhanced graphics are turned on. I will go to turn it off, and the game will restart a few times, and then load with enhanced graphics. Is there something that can be done to turn off the enhanced graphics for good?
    • trigger3535 wrote:

For starters I am totally obsessed with this game on my phone since finding it. Now for the issue, I play on my phone and I have found it 10X's easier to see and control my units with "enhanced graphics" turned off. I understand your push to have the enhanced graphics because its a cool look. But I can not see where my units are as easily. So i play on my phone but after about 10 minutes of playing, the game restarts and the enhanced graphics are turned on. I will go to turn it off, and the game will restart a few times, and then load with enhanced graphics. Is there something that can be done to turn off the enhanced graphics for good?

This is an issue for a very few users. It is on the list of issues to be worked on, but it is very difficult to reproduce which makes it also difficult to solve.

VorlonFCW

• trigger3535 wrote:

For starters I am totally obsessed with this game on my phone since finding it. Now for the issue, I play on my phone and I have found it 10X's easier to see and control my units with "enhanced graphics" turned off. I understand your push to have the enhanced graphics because its a cool look. But I can not see where my units are as easily. So i play on my phone but after about 10 minutes of playing, the game restarts and the enhanced graphics are turned on. I will go to turn it off, and the game will restart a few times, and then load with enhanced graphics. Is there something that can be done to turn off the enhanced graphics for good?
      so funny, I also play without enhanced on, for me as well, it’s easier ...on my eyes?? I don’t know how, it just is. I believe it’s the choice of coloring, the green and brown in enhanced is just a very bizarre color choice. I find it extremely hard to see my units quickly With high graphics on too.

also, call me crazy ...but the terrain just looks SOOOO MUCH cleaner in low quality mode. I believe it’s due in part because of the awkward shade of green/brown, but also I think the main reason is that low graphics presents a more...”flat” aspect? And it just allows me to find my units easier. Also, the ...idk what you call them, the “trails” units follow? The pathway lines? They are horribly ugly in enhanced mode, and veryyyyy simple in low quality, a simple red line, that’s all I need, I don’t need that gross puke, yellowish/green/red line...also it’s too thick in enhanced.

there is ONE giant reason that makes low quality not as good...that is unit positioning...it is absolutely horrific in low quality. You could be seeing a unit in a spot, when in reality, it’s 2-6 HOURS away from that location...it gets so bad (ESPECIALLY FOR NAVAL) that I have to simply rely on the “you’re here marker”.

Enhanced graphics has no real issue like that, not to that extent anyways...so this leaves me torn...

Enhanced graphics: shows exactly where units are, accurate locations, and faster wartime updating.. but it is an eye sore, it makes me nearly nausea to stare at the dried puke green coloring, and the pathway lines are hideous. Also find it’ll crash often (I have a brand new iPhone SE 2020, it should never crash)

Low graphics: Looks so much cleaner, easier on my eyes due to natural coloring, and flat map surface. Pathway lines are simple red (or nation color) and I can locate units easier due to all of this. But it’s biggest selling point is how much easier on the eyes the map itself is. As enhanced graphics maps look like those 3D books you stare at to go cross eyed and see images lol.
      However...the unit positioning is something straight from the 9th circle of Hell. If you have a large navy, prepare to think they’re off the coast of Seattle, but they’re actually located near L.A. (I’m not even really joking...it gets REALLY bad...) this isn’t as much of an issue with ground units but can still get nasty...air units have this issue pretty bad as well. So it’s only real advantage is that the map is just easier on my eyes for extended playing sessions...

so I’m torn. I can have a better logistical experience in a sim warfare (high) but feel like I’m going to get sick due to the visuals..

or I can have the more simple, easy on the eyes experience which keeps the same core mechanics and essence of the sim...but have to constantly fight with my units not being where I think they are, seeing unit HP go from 97% to 22% instantly, and being a much more poor experience overall while IN COMBAT...

What to do...? Why can’t we just have enhanced graphics, with a flat, surface map, that isn’t colored to look like a freaking Kaleidoscope on LSD...? I want a SIMPLE SIMPLE looking map, with natural colors, and GOOD or at least fairly ACCURATE unit positioning...

I don’t think more than 1-2% of the players who play this game are here for the graphics. I’ll always take gameplay over graphics, but I need to be able to see my units easily, and not feel sick after 7 minutes.

sorry for typos, but in my defense ...I don’t care.

Thank you. Long live sacred Germany!!!
    • Redarmy1 wrote:

The advice for the above WebGL, didn’t work for IOS 11, but it still said the browser supported WebGL graphics. However, my game still crashed and I can’t get in my game long enough to change the settings. Help pls??
      The same thing usually happens to me. I don’t know what size maps you are playing, but my work around is to join either a 22 player or 10 player map. I find that the smaller maps avoid crashing on older devices at least long enough to turn off the graphics. I just turn off the WebGL graphics there, then go play my other maps.