Watch towers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Diabolical wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

GenHitman wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

Why not just use the already existing guards and watch-towers (= units + fortifications) as all experienced players do? >> the units remain mobile and the fortifications are needed anyway for the moral.. -- ..instead of wasting resources on stationary buildings, which are mostly only needed temporarily because the front is constantly changing and maybe tomorrow is completely elsewhere ..
      you clearly did not understand my point. fortifications take forever to build up and is not ideal for start of game. Im suggesting somthing for the start of the game(or even useful later as well) thats cheap afordable and useful to watch your six, while you choose to attack one person your boarders have a watchful eye on the other potentialy 5 people on your boarder lines so you do not need to expend troops to watch your lines and have them focus on the war you are in. Plus the bigger focus of watchtowers im trying to get at here is view range so it has an advantage over regualr troops you have placed. While your enemy has troops waiting on their lines ready to attack you, You have your tower already seeing what they are planing while their troops cant see because of the view range therefore you can plan ahead for a "surprise" invasion. Hope this again can clear things up

GenHitman wrote:

How about watchtowers ...

.. It will act as 1 or 2 infantry in a tower(depending on level of building mabye) and they would have binoculars to see a far range(most likely out of province depending on sizes) and see if a ship is disembarking or if units are coming your way at a greater distance then units can see ..

.. /..

.. if you can't afford to keep units on that province and need them more for the front lines then you can just build these real quick(i say about 30 mins for level 1) and have somthing to hold the enemy back ..
      Aah, now I have it I think -- so, you want something stationary that is equal to the value and the ability of at least 1 infantry and 1 reconnaissance plane -- but, with of course significantly lower production costs than, for example, a single militia or an AT, without daily resource consumption and furthermore within half an hour producible..?Yep, what a magical dream ..
      One usually starts with 4 or 5 factories, based on the map. So they can only build a few units at a time. But, in theory, one can build many buildings at once, one per province. Of course, there are idio.ts who will put a barracks in every province, killing their food, right off the bat, but at least that's their right to do so. This guy's idea is to allow one to choose to build a building that sorta acts like an infantry and fighter and armored car, but can't move. If they were building those units, they'd have nothing else. But if they can build a building (and it should take a lot longer than a half hour to do so) in a province, then their factories can build war machines instead of "mobile"lookout posts.

GenHitman wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

Aah, now I have it I think -- so, you want something stationary that is equal to the value and the ability of at least 1 infantry and 1 reconnaissance plane -- but, with of course significantly lower production costs than, for example, a single militia or an AT, without daily resource consumption and furthermore within half an hour producible..?
      Yep, what a magical dream ..
      sigh.. its a building, never said it wouldnt have upkeep just said its the basic stats as 1 infantry, its purpose is to view father then any unit to see your neighbors close province and determine if they are planing a mass invasion off your boarder while all your units are off in a war with another person on the other side of your boarders. as well as provide basic small protection for your province to delay the enemy for you to have time to provide reinforcments over there to counter attack before they capture your province. And you can only place them on boarder lines not on every province like any other building to prevent spam and building time is just a filler it can change depending on balance and what the devs would like better. This is basic stuff if you cannot understand the basic logic im explaining thats a you problem.
      For observe and reacting, one have to be online anyway, so just at the beginning of a map with little available resources and with a view to an expansion of the own empire, the required resources for mobile units would be more useful.

In addition, if the tower should to be able to fight for a short time, it has to cause corresponding costs -- but for what should it be able to fight for a short time, if there is no one online and no units are there to support him..? (..at least the watch towers in the other provinces can watch him fight..)

So, if these lookout points requires more then very very little construction and upkeep costs (what they naturally have to do) they would just be as a shot in the own knee (like as the described spam of a lot of barracks).

But, if some wish the game becomes more easyer, so that such things like a defense mechanism and enemy observing costs (nearly) nothing (and goes very quick), then maybe Bytro could even better remove the fog of war completely..? ..then even the clicks for quickly placing the watch towers are not necessary..

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • So, Basically,

You want a building that can sit in a province and watch it, while having the basic defense stats as a 1 infantry unit?

Seems fine to me, I don't understand why there are two pages on this thread... It's a really simple concept..
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Still makes little sense to me. A building can not do anything without people in it. If a building with people in it can do what an infantry regiment can do it should also cost about the same. Game balance and all. So in the end building a watch tower anywhere would be like an infantry unit that can not move. Does not sound like something I will use.

I do not think it should be made possible for every player to send all their units up north while they can still keep an eye on their south without having to use units for this. It will ruin strategy within the game to a point where the game will be broken. Defenders already have the upper hand in the game.

Besides, what good will it do you in the end? So the watchtower will give you extra time in defending a province. If your entire army is somewhere else there is little that will help you if another players entire army shows ip at your door. Troop placement is an important part of the game, having watchtowers will ruin this to some extent.
    • Edepedable wrote:

Still makes little sense to me. A building can not do anything without people in it. If a building with people in it can do what an infantry regiment can do it should also cost about the same. Game balance and all. So in the end building a watch tower anywhere would be like an infantry unit that can not move. Does not sound like something I will use.

I do not think it should be made possible for every player to send all their units up north while they can still keep an eye on their south without having to use units for this. It will ruin strategy within the game to a point where the game will be broken. Defenders already have the upper hand in the game.

Besides, what good will it do you in the end? So the watchtower will give you extra time in defending a province. If your entire army is somewhere else there is little that will help you if another players entire army shows ip at your door. Troop placement is an important part of the game, having watchtowers will ruin this to some extent.
      As i said before, to PRVENT BUILDING SPAM it can only be placed on boarders and its not like it is invincable like you are preserving it to be, it is just a basic small defense FOR BOARDERS to halt the enemies push for an attack cycle to buy time to get forces to the area of battle before the province is taken. And at the same time to have an extended view range to see further then normal units so you can see if enemies are disembarking on your turf or massing an invasion force outside your boarders. Its so basic i cant believe i have to keep explaning the same thing over and over when all you ppl need to do is READ!
      Please and Thanks! :thumbsup:
      Consider a like to this post!
    • Restrisiko wrote:

For observe and reacting, one have to be online anyway, so just at the beginning of a map with little available resources and with a view to an expansion of the own empire, the required resources for mobile units would be more useful.
      That's a consequence of playing an always-on live-time game. If you can't be online much, you're going to have a hard time winning this game. There's no excuse for that, because anyone can spend five minutes at a time to check in on their phones, make sure that everything is OK, and do a few tweaks, until they get the free time to spend doing much more than just "tweak" their nations. Having a mobile unit is no better than a stationary building if you aren't online to use it.

GenHitman wrote:

As i said before, to PRVENT BUILDING SPAM it can only be placed on boarders and its not like it is invincable like you are preserving it to be, it is just a basic small defense FOR BOARDERS to halt the enemies push for an attack cycle to buy time to get forces to the area of battle before the province is taken.
      Now this I don't like. If you can only place a watchtower on a border, what happens when your border moves? Does the watchtower get destroyed if it's no longer on the border? If it has no power to fight (see my last response on this post), then why should it be restricted to borders only? And the fact that borders do change in this game should automatically negate your argument and put the lid on that part of the discussion, slamming it down cold.

JCS Darragh wrote:

Seems fine to me, I don't understand why there are two pages on this thread... It's a really simple concept..
      It doesn't matter how simple the concept. People are gonna debate when they have differences of opinion on the subject. Some people like the idea of a watchtower...others don't.

To quote Lt. Col. Andrew "Andy" Tanner from the original Red Dawn, when asked how the war between America and Russia started, said "I don't know. Two toughest kids on the block, I guess....sooner or later, they [sic] gonna fight."

Here's where he explains the whole situation to the Wolverines in Red Dawn

Edepedable wrote:

I agree that anyone who sends their entire army far away pretty much deserves to get overrun. But that's not the point of the watchtower. And it really doesn't make sense for it to have fighting capabilities. A token defense is no defense, so the pretense of having any firepower need not be added to the structure. It should just be a building that enhances visibility, nothing more....albeit enhancing that visibility by a whole lot, and with that visible range increasing for higher level — upgraded — watchtowers.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Diabolical wrote:

Restrisiko wrote:

That's a consequence of playing an always-on live-time game. If you can't be online much, you're going to have a hard time winning this game. There's no excuse for that, because anyone can spend five minutes at a time to check in on their phones, make sure that everything is OK, and do a few tweaks, until they get the free time to spend doing much more than just "tweak" their nations. Having a mobile unit is no better than a stationary building if you aren't online to use it.
      Of course you have to be online to be able to react, as I wrote -- but that's why mobile units are better ..
      .. imagine for exemple, you have built a borderline of watchtowers and during one of your phone checks you see enemy units approaching one of your border provinces.
      Can you send the other watchtowers in for help? Of course not, but if you had built and positioned mobile units instead, they could.
      And after you have beaten back and successfully conquered the enemy then, you could furthermore redeploy these already built mobile units to the new external border.
      So, you can either spend your Ressources to build new watchtowers after each conquering, or you instead can build new mobile units again and your army would become larger and stronger over time; but, of course, not through watchtowers.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Diabolical wrote:

It doesn't matter how simple the concept. People are gonna debate when they have differences of opinion on the subject. Some people like the idea of a watchtower...others don't.

To quote Lt. Col. Andrew "Andy" Tanner from the original Red Dawn, when asked how the war between America and Russia started, said "I don't know. Two toughest kids on the block, I guess....sooner or later, they [sic] gonna fight."

Here's where he explains the whole situation to the Wolverines in Red Dawn
      I love Red Dawn!

But it does make sense how you explained it now though.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"