BUG: Airplanes positioning Patrol

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BUG: Airplanes positioning Patrol

First: I know the game very well and this is 100% a BUG!!!

When I fly to a point on the map, and set my patrol at the edge of the range limit, it sets, and i then reset the patrol to group the planes 5 sets of 10 planes (5tac/5interceptors). Then i reset the patrol again and again until all my planes are in a tight formation. ( these planes are all on the same PIE of patrol range). I,e before i leave i group them one side of the airport then group them all on the other side. Same pie.

After i set the planes in a tight formation I then set the patrol. I set the patrol and i might move it about a few times until i am happy with where they are patrolling.

The BUG lately is that the planes just suddenly decide to return to the Fricken airport. For no reason. I understand the many myriad reason why this happens but this BUG!!! is not for any of those reason. It is 100% a bug.

No matter how i try to reset the patrol they refuse to patrol and have to return to the airport.
      I have been playing this game for as long as you and know all the little tips and techniques and why palnes on different ranges might try return to airport if they overlap that range that other planes are comfortable on etc or, if you go outside the main range limit. It is none of those reasons.It is a new BUG that came after the change was made to the Planes attack power.
    • Update: I know why this happened on this occasion. For some reason the game system thought that i had 41 planes but i had in fact 40 planes. I had 1 more plane out scouting. When i double clicked all the planes as you do when you want to move them all at once, I get the number 41 planes. Which is correct i had 41 planes but only 40 in the main group. The 1 planes was very far away.

So i had the 40 planes and broke them down to groups of 5 interceptor and 5 tac bombers.

The BUG added 1 extra tac bomber to one of my 4 groups of 10.

I had 5 interceptors and 6 tac bombers in 1 group instead of 5/5. This was a ghost plane that did not exist but the game system had thought it was my scout plane.

So when i was positioning them it eventually bugged out. So this is a very buggy bug, and i have no idea how you are going to fix it. I will say the dirty dozen game is very slow and laggy in any case and that has possibly alot to do with it.

However the BUG i described in my Opening Post does happen in other games.I am not sure if it is because of the ghost plane effect or not but it does happen a lot these days.
    • I have more information about this bug which continues to annoy me.

If you are patrolling your planes, and you set the planes to the edge of the limit of the planes patrol range, it will fly there and then suddenly return to the aiport. You can not reset it.

It does this because if you go even a tiny bit outside the limit, it will return to the airport. However it always used to do this but it was automatic and you could recall the planes in a few seconds and reset their patrol. Now however they cannot be recalled and just fly back to the airport..sometimes unexpectedly.

Unexpectedly happens when you set the patrol 3 minutes down range and the planes fly there and then suddenly decide to fly back to the airport and they cannot be be reset.

Eventually you will discover this BUG! and players will also eventually start reporting it. Just giving you a heads up and it is a huge time waster and can seriously dis advantage a player.
    • I am not getting this, but something similar, my planes are on location to patrol, I see an enemy lets say a single infantry and I click attack and highlight the infantry and my planes fly all the way back to the base, this would not happen in real life, the planes on patrol dont need to go back and refuel to attack
    • There is a bug, normally happens when you split planes, which moves the operational cone back to the default (east) position.
      Next time while your on patrol and want to direct attack a unit,press patrol again and check the direct of the cone to see if they will have to return to base.
    • it happened to me in speed map, i wanted to change patrol area and planes returned to base and refueled.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • This bug is very old and it's happens sometimes.

I can't find a reason why it's happens sometime, and sometimes not :(

the point that it only happens at the edge of the patrol pie? - I don't think so. Maybe it's only happens when the patrol is set before day switch was happens?
      But why only some groups of the planes must fly back and other not?

let us try to find it out.

Would you like to play with your friends in a game where gold is banned?

Watch for the next season starts in September!
    • Xarus wrote:

When plane groups are split sometimes the green zone is "lost" and they are given the patrol zone incorrectly oriented due east. (I believe it has to do with which group keeps the same designation and which gets a new designation)

To avoid this issue:

1) Don't split plane groups on the ground

2) Make splits in the air prior to refueling at the final airbase before the patrol location. (Split groups back away from the front lines in other words)

or

3) After splitting a plane group and giving a patrol order then give a SECOND patrol order which will cause the plane to touch and go at the airbase and get the proper green zone.

And again regarding the original "bug" discussed above:

I have heard of this, but never experienced it or been able to duplicate it.

The explanation is that the displayed circle is imperfect, it is more of an oval than a circle due to the way that the map is represented on a flat surface. Distances measured north to south are different than distances measured east to west because of this "stretching" of the map to make it lay flat. This can cause a discrepancy between where you think the circle is and how far the plane can go. If you take the time to study the movement path of your planes before you issue a new order it will show if the path is direct, or goes through the airbase and then to the new location.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Xarus wrote:

When plane groups are split sometimes the green zone is "lost" and they are given the patrol zone incorrectly oriented due east. (I believe it has to do with which group keeps the same designation and which gets a new designation)
      To avoid this issue:

1) Don't split plane groups on the ground

2) Make splits in the air prior to refueling at the final airbase before the patrol location. (Split groups back away from the front lines in other words)

or

3) After splitting a plane group and giving a patrol order then give a SECOND patrol order which will cause the plane to touch and go at the airbase and get the proper green zone.

And again regarding the original "bug" discussed above:

I have heard of this, but never experienced it or been able to duplicate it.

The explanation is that the displayed circle is imperfect, it is more of an oval than a circle due to the way that the map is represented on a flat surface. Distances measured north to south are different than distances measured east to west because of this "stretching" of the map to make it lay flat. This can cause a discrepancy between where you think the circle is and how far the plane can go. If you take the time to study the movement path of your planes before you issue a new order it will show if the path is direct, or goes through the airbase and then to the new location.

Regarding the original Bug discussed and your response to it:

While this is a good explanation it does not explain the loss of control of the planes and the forced return to the airport and certainly it does not explain the re fuel phenomenon.

On Side note:
      I haven't ever found the circle to be in accurate. It does sometimes afford a certain extension but never a retraction.
    • Mr Selfridge wrote:

Regarding the original Bug discussed and your response to it:

While this is a good explanation it does not explain the loss of control of the planes and the forced return to the airport and certainly it does not explain the re fuel phenomenon.

On Side note:
      I haven't ever found the circle to be in accurate. It does sometimes afford a certain extension but never a retraction.

I wanted to resurrect this thread because it's been almost a year and this bug still doesn't appear to be fixed. Any chance we can get an update on the status of this bug?
      - Ozzone :beer:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - General George Patton
    • Yes, a well known flaw in the implementation of patrolling warplanes.
      Not likely to be corrected, since the fundamental aspect of patrol is
      foreign to the basic static nature of CoW.
      Similarly the omission of the ability to shoot on the move for warships
      will never be corrected.
      Just learn to live with the limited potential of the original design structure,
      and realize you are playing a game.
    • cycle9 wrote:

Not likely to be corrected, since the fundamental aspect of patrol is

foreign to the basic static nature of CoW.

No offense but that is not a good excuse. You don't put a feature into a program that doesn't work properly and don't fix it. The field of view is bugged when patrolling. Not correcting it is a sign of laziness.
      - Ozzone :beer:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - General George Patton
    • You have a choice of using the game in the current state which involves ongoing development, or waiting for development and support to cease.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<