Historic World War Map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Historic World War Map

When I first played the Historic World War Map, I picked France, my heartthrob nation. I was pretty surprised when I realized how terrible the colonial powers were.

First, Africa has almost no resources. All the provinces are just empty. There was almost no infrastructure in western Africa. Worse still, the total resources produced in the colonies were reduced by 75%, because of the non-core penalty. Lastly, there was a total of about five troops defending the entire place. And because of that, I suffered. France starts out with negative oil and food production. It's essentially the same with all other colonial powers(UK, Italy, and for the All Countries All In map Belgium, Portugal and Netherlands too). I only survived my first ever Historic World War because I allied myself with the UK and Italy.

What I want to point out here is the colonies are absolute garbage. They produce barely any resources, the resources they do produce are slashed by 75%, they drain all your food and oil and defending it is so difficult. Compare that to Germany, or the Soviet Union. They're so stinking rich, it's not even funny.

Some people will say "just build infrastructure or industrial complexes". But if you build those, you have no money for your army. Then, you get flattened by your neighbors. If you play as France with no allies(a stupid move) and you try to strengthen your economy, you can get invaded by Germany, the UK, Italy and Spain. It's a Catch-22; build your army, and your economy drowns. Build your economy, your army remains pathetically weak. Even though I allied with Italy and the UK, Spain still almost killed me(they nearly took Paris), because I had few troops left after beating up Germany and building infrastructure.

My advice is this: Bytro should either add more resources to the colonies, or make them core provinces(the way Austria and Czechia are German cores, even though they really shouldn't be). France and the UK in particular are ridiculously underpowered, especially compared to Germany and the USSR. Even the smaller countries like Persia and Xinjiang are better than France and the UK! At least they have positive production rates!

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • Hello fellow player,

I have played on 3 historic world war maps and I have won all 3. Let me try to give you an insight in how different countries need to be played in order to be succesful. They all have their pros and cons.

On my first I played with Romania, on my second I played with Manchuko and on my third I played as Soviet Union.

iDragons wrote:

Some people will say "just build infrastructure or industrial complexes". But if you build those, you have no money for your army. Then, you get flattened by your neighbors. If you play as France with no allies(a stupid move) and you try to strengthen your economy, you can get invaded by Germany, the UK, Italy and Spain. It's a Catch-22; build your army, and your economy drowns. Build your economy, your army remains pathetically weak. Even though I allied with Italy and the UK, Spain still almost killed me(they nearly took Paris), because I had few troops left after beating up Germany and building infrastructure.
      What I get from this part of your original post is that there is a choice to be made on to how you invest resources. Either foucs on training troops or focus on building your economy. My suggestion is, why not both? Sure things depend on how big your country is and what you start with both military and economy wise, but there are some things you can always do in order to survive.

DAY 1/2

A general start up for ANY country could be this:

Economy:
      - build barracks in every province that has an industrial complex
      - start building infrastructure in every province that has an industrial complex
      - build and additional industrial complex in a province that produces a resource that you expect to become scarce or you produce a lot of. (only province producing oil, double producing province)
      Research: Infantry(or militia), armored car, anti-tank, artillery, tank or submarine.
      - buy stuff at the market with all the money you start out with. Sell food if you do not need it! EVERY PLAYER has cheap resource options in its market at the start of a game.

Training: NEVER TRAIN INFANTRY OR MILITIA ON DAY 1!!!(or in week 1 for that matter) In fact, don't train infantry or militia until less than 10% of your amount of troops consists of these troops. If you need to be doing this before week 2 you are doing something wrong. Point is your starting army has plenty of infantry/militia. Train something that will help support the infantry or militia that you already have. Training anti-tank to protect against an early LT rush would be a good choice. Artillery to attack/defend doing damage while not receiving damage would be a good choice after this. If you then train LT's you made yourself a very unfavorable early game target.

All units I mentioned are good defenders. Infantry is 50% stronger on defense than it is on the attack. With arty behind and AT among important provinces chances of succesfully conquering you early game are very, very small.
      EVERY COUNTRY STARTS WITH A GOOD DEFENSIVE POSITION because of the amount of infantry/militia you start with. Because of these units being in large numbers and performing better on the defense than attack with an added 15% defense bonus in core provinces it is easy to see why.
      Good ways to ruin your good defensive position:
      - attack using your infantry
      - attack using your infantry in small numbers
      - attack while being attacked
      - attack multiple oponents at the same time

Starting to see a patern? Yes, attacking is generally not a good idea if you want to stay in the game beyond week 1. Exceptions of course being small AI countries and all that. But this is for in the situation descisionmaking.

So above mentioned is the part of day 1/2 that counts for whatever country you are. Now lets illustrate some diferences. I will put down my experience in playing each of these countries and some of the pros and cons that I had playing them. I'm pretty sure what I say about these countries goes for just about every small, medium and large country on the historical map.

Romania, starts with less than 20 units, mostly infantry and a small economy.

- Emphasis on training units, this should keep possible invaders out the door.
      + My cities produce a lot of manpower and since only few provinces produce resources, the upgrades I manage to build help greatly towards growing my economy.
      + I am able to quickly train an army with all sort of units.
      - small amount of industrial complexes.
      + taking troops from where they are produced to where you need them is fast.

Manchuko, starts with around 20 units, mostly militia and a decent economy.

- most of the starting army is militia, they need a lot of upgrades to become useful. I have to use them because most of my country is forest and I can not manage researching both militia and infantry together on top of doing other upgrades. Replacing the militia with infantry will take to long. So I settle for militia as my main unit for now.
      - few oil production. Only 1 province if i remember correctly. There is some non core oil nearby that is in Japanes hands...
      - Being close to Russia is somewhat unsetling. It could decide to go anywhere.
      + Somewhat under the radar. There are easier targets for myself and other countries nearby, yet I am big and strong enough to both defend and attack.

Soviet Union, starts with around 80 units mostly infantry/militia and has a large economy.

- Because I start with around 30 militia as well as 30 infantry, my manpower production is VERY low. This means that I have to improve my army by researching both militia and infantry. This keeps me from doing other much needed research.
      - As other countries train anti-tank, artillery and light tanks, I have little manpower to do any of these things.
      - Since the country is big, I actually need all 80 starting units to defend it and have no chance of expancing anytime soon. I decide to defend only the west of the country as this includes my important resource provinces.
      - Since I have multiple provinces producing the same resource, building upgrades does not give me a high added production. I have to build in multiple provinces to gain the same a smaller country would have to.
      - Since I have a lot of industrial complexes but not enough resources to build buildings everywhere, some will not be able to train units. I have to support my army with new equipment from only a few locations.
      - If multiple countries attack me, there is no way that I can get units there in time in order to not lose provinces.
      - Even if 1 small country attacks me that has a high unit production, they can do a lot of damage to my current industry and criple my position.
      + largest economy in the game, so I am able to build a lot of buildings. It just always seems to be not enough because my troops have to do a lot of traveling.
      - Air units are out of the question for a while to come since I have to build a LOT of airfields to be able to connect the industrial complexes to the rest of the country.
      - need to use spies early on to see if no one is ganging up on me. I have a LOT of neighbours.

Soviet Union was harder in the beginning and easier later on. The size made it hard to manage all around.

Romania was hard in the beginning because of the economy. When your economy is more developed this diminishes by a lot though.

Manchuko was hard because of the lack of oil. The rest went pretty smooth though.

So in short, on the historical map every country comes with advantages and disadvantages. That is the whole idea of the map.

There is no map with a country on it that has it all. It would ruin the game if this ever happened. Hope this helps you for if you play on another historical. It is a really fun map to play!

Kind regards,

Edepedable
    • I agree don't train infantry and militia first but I disagree to not attack in the 1st week I have played mew South Wales and declared war in the 2nd day almost took the whole country in a day so I agree with most of your argument but the 1st week don't attack I absolutely doubt you'll go far doing that
      All warfare is based on Deception - Sun Tzu. The Art Of War

The Most impressive ability to defeat the enemy is to defeat him without combat
    • Kaionline123 wrote:

I agree don't train infantry and militia first but I disagree to not attack in the 1st week I have played mew South Wales and declared war in the 2nd day almost took the whole country in a day so I agree with most of your argument but the 1st week don't attack I absolutely doubt you'll go far doing that
      There are always exceptions, if you can gain more then you lose by attacking it is of course not a bad idea.
      Attacking small AI nations or even small players or players that wasted their troops on neighbours can be good targets.

What I would advise against is losing a more favorable defensive position and trading it for an attack that is less effective than your defence would be. That is what loses a lot players maps.