Dragon's Huge Collection of Ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dragon's Huge Collection of Ideas

These are my grand ideas for the game that I just randomly came up with when I was bored. These are just thoughts I had- they're likely never to be added into the game. But I can dreeeeam
      (also nobody's gonna read it all because of how long it is)

New Map
      I was staring blankly at the Europe- Clash of Nations map one day trying to improve my life by hoping a genie would emerge from my screen and grant me three wishes. Instead, I came up with the idea for a new map. I love the Europe 22p map, but honestly it gets boring after a while. The only two continents with no map featuring them are South America and Africa, so I decided to plan for an Africa- Clash of Nations map. This is just a thought experiment, it's probably never going to get added. I just got bored.

So this new Africa map would have exactly 22 playable nations, and the nations would own the following cities:
      Morocco - Rabat, Casablanca, Marrakesh, Laayoune, Dakhla
      Algeria - Algiers, Oran, Constantine, Tamanrasset, Ain Salah
      Libya - Tripoli, Waddan, Benghazi, Tobruk, Sabha
      Egypt - Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor, Aswan, Port Said
      North Sudan - Khartoum, Port Sudan, El Fasher, Nyala, Al Goled
      South Sudan - Juba, Werynol, Wau, Malakal, Mundri West
      Niger - Niamey, Agadez, Arlit, Madama, N'Guigmi
      Mali - Bamako, Mopti, Djenne, Timbuktu, Kayes
      Mauritania - Nouakchott, Nouadhibou(Port Etienne), Chinguetti, Chega, Nema
      Senegal - Dakar, St. Louis, Tambacounda, Ziguinchor, Ballou
      Gold Coast(modern-day nations of Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Togo and Benin) - Conakry, Abidjan, Monrovia, Accra, Ouagadougou
      Nigeria - Lagos, Abuja, Ibadan, Kano, Maiduguri
      Cameroon(modern-day nations of Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Gabon) - Yaounde, Libreville, Douala, Port-Gentil, Franceville
      Congo(both Republic of Congo and DR Congo) - Kinshasa(Leopoldville), Pointe-Noire, Kisangani(Stanleyville), Gemena, Lubumbashi
      Angola - Luanda, Huambo(Nova Lisboa), Malanje, Lumbala, Luena
      Namibia(S.W.Africa) - Windhoek, Swakopmund, Tsumeb, Luderitz, Keetmanshoop
      South Africa(modern-day nations of South Africa and Lesotho) - Johannesburg, Cape Town, Upington, East London, Durban
      Benchuanaland(modern-day nations of Botswana and Zimbabwe) - Harare(Fort Salisbury), Bulaweyo, Gaborone, Xakanaxa, Francistown
      Mozambique - Maputo, Beira, Tete, Nampula, Queliman, Chimoio
      Madagascar - Antananarivo, Toliara(Tulear), Antisrabe, Madirovalo, Antisiranana
      Tanganyika - Dar es Salaam. Dodoma, Kigoma, Mwanza, Mbeya
      Kenya - Nairobi, Mombasa, Marsabit, Kisumu, Dadaab
      Ethiopia - Addis Ababa, Gondar, Nekemte, Finchawa, Dire Dawa

The AI Nations for this map would be as follows, with cities listed as well:
      Tunisia - Tunis
      Portuguese Guinea - Bissau
      Central African Republic - Bangui, Ouadda
      Eritrea - Asmara, Djibouti
      Somalia - Mogadishu, Hargeisa
      Uganda - Kampala, Gulu
      Rwanda(modern-day states of Rwanda and Burundi) - Kigali
      Northern Rhodesia - Lusaka, Kasama
      Nyasaland - Zomba
      Swaziland - Mbabane
      Sao Tome and Principe - Sao Tome
      Cape Verde - Praia
      Canary Islands - Santa Cruz de la Tenerife

Amount of VPs would probably be the same as the 22p European nations(12 for capital, 8, 4, 4, 4).

New Terrain + Weather
      Weather saved the Soviet Union from defeat at the hands of Germany at the Second World War. Weather in the game could work like this: in the newspaper, there would be a month displayed somewhere near the info section of the news. Every day in game is a week in the newspaper date. Every season, there would be random weather events occurring in different parts of the world. For example, in the Russian province of Murmansk in November, one day the game would randomly select the city to be snowed under, and all troops in the city at the time would suffer the consequences of the snow. There could be many other weather conditions other than snow- mud, heavy wind, monsoon, etc.

Something else I thought of were new terrains- three in particular. Tundra, desert and jungle.
      In the tundra, armor moves 10% slower(because it's so cold that tanks start breaking, oil starts freezing, etc). There may also be a small penalty for tank damage(5%, 10%, etc).
      In the desert, armor moves 5% slower(because of the sand getting everywhere). Infantry move 5-10% slower(because walking in sand is the worst).
      In the jungle, armor moves 80% slower and have -60% attack(because of the, you know, trees and such). Infantry moves 50% slower and has -35% attack. Planes might also do 35% less, because it's hard to see. Only commandos have no negative effects from jungle.

New Troops
      In WWII, the Soviet Union was famous for its artillery. I was thinking of a new Multiple Rocket Launcher(MRL) unit. This is how the MRL would work:
      The MRL, unlike regular artillery and SP artillery, would have a small circle of effect, like planes, but much smaller. All units inside that circle would be damaged, so you can hypothetically damage more than one stack at the same time. At level 1, it would do 4 damage against infantry, 3 against armor, 3 against buildings, 0.8 against ships and 0.3 against submarines. Its' defensive stats for the various classes of units would be 3.2(infantry), 2.8(armor) and 0.6(planes). To build an MRL, it would cost 1,500 goods, 500 manpower, 1,500 steel, 500 oil and 3,000 money. It would take you a day and two hours to make one of these at a level 1 industrial complex, and require level 1 infrastructure to make. These are just hypothetical numbers that I came up with by using the SP Artillery's stats and cost as a base, as is likely not accurate.

Another unit I thought about were mortar infantry. Mortars were a cheap, common and deadly weapon used in the Second World War, and I thought about what it could do.
      Mortar infantry would be similar to regular infantry. Attacking, their stats would be 3(infantry), 1(armor) and 1.5(buildings). Defending, their stats would be 3.5(infantry), 1.5(armor) and 1.5(planes). They would do more damage against other infantry and buildings, but they have the same stats as infantry otherwise. They would be used for defense, like better militia, and siege attacks, because they hurt buildings more than regular infantry. They would cost 550 food, 800 goods, 1,500 manpower and 1,000 money to make, and they would take a day to make in a level 1 industrial complex. They would also require level 1 barracks to build.

These are just ideas I came up with randomly and I wanted to share them. Most of them are probably too extra/not viable for the game. I just wanted to pour my ideas out because why not?
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • I like it, I like all of it in fact, Just one thing,

iDragons wrote:

mortar infantry
      Shouldn't be a thing, as CoW operates on the Battalion Level, and mortars are on the Platoon-Level (I.E. A weapons platoon which would be armed with AT Launchers, MMGs and HMGs, and Mortars) But everything else is a good idea and I like the idea of the MRLS!
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Nice map and terrain ideas, but I wouldn't make the jungle as severe. Anything worse than cities for tanks is to much of a penalty if you ask me, maybe it's best if jungles are just dropped. The idea of weather would cause a lot of chaos, and while it may make the game more realistic, I think the focus of the game was to be on the combat between military forces of multiple nations not weather interactions. Personally I don't like your troop ideas, the idea of powerful artillery units, even with a small range, frightens me. Well, that's all I have to say, hopefully some type of Africa map like the one you mentioned can be added soon, another map is always fun to try out.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • I would definitely want the Africa map be added in. Also, I think terrain and weather is pretty ok, considering pretty much anyone can roll through Russia in COW but it was much harder in reality. However, I think the forest thing should not be as harsh to tanks, because tanks have to suffer enough in cities already. Perhaps a 10% penalty? I mean, look at the Ardennes back in Blitzkrieg and Battle of the Bulge. The Germans used that part TWICE and both times worked quite well (except that BoB ended backfiring).
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Suggestions:

1. The weather idea should be a LTM Game Mode.

2. Jungle shouldn't't be to harsh (also are you thinking realistic placement of weather/terrain?)

3. MLRS is a good idea. But should only be unlocked late game (around day 40 ish)

4. Mortars are a good idea but I have 4 suggestions:

4a. They should have a -25% efficiency on hitting a moving target.

4b. If mortars are to be engaged in close combat, they should only be able to do militia level damage

4c. They should have a minimum of 30km range to 60km range, so there can be a difference between artillery.

4d. They should have a movment speed of 15km an hour

Those are my suggestions, but everything else seems a-okay.
    • A lot of people have pointed out that jungle terrain is too harsh to tanks. When I say "jungle", I mean like the Amazon rainforest, or the Congo rainforest. I personally am not sure about jungle terrain myself, because whichever country gets landed in a tropical terrain immediately has this powerful terrain advantage. It was just a thought I had.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel