battleships bombarding land units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• battleships bombarding land units

When I attack land units with a battleship, I fire, get some hits, and then wait an hour for the next volley.

So now I am Tibet trying to finish off computer controlled Japan which has a battleship parked by the last few provinces.

Figuring he can get only one shot off an hour, I attack all points from several vectors with multiple armies following one behind the other on each vector.

But what happens is he shoots at one set ( with only 3 level 4 battleships ) and knocks them all out, then 25 seconds later shoots at the next set, and then the next all within a half a minute of each other and keeps taking out everything within a mile. I don't get this.
    • I noticed something similar with my artillery. If I have 8 artillery fire against an army with only a few hit points left, the army disappears, and then maybe 30 seconds later the remaining artillery will fire against the next target.

But the dang battleships should only dish out 15 hit points. How the heck did they knock out 50 hit points in 2 minutes.
    • Thanks for the reply but I'm still not understanding something that is important to understand. By one shot unit, do you mean if one battleship ( or one artillery ) is able to take out the target, then the rest of the battleships will lock on to the next closest target in one minute? Doesn't explain how three battleships managed to kill 5 army units with 10 to 15 hit points each when each battleship's fire power is four or five. And if I wouldn't have started the full forced march retreat within a minute he probably would have nailed five more, wouldn't he have?
    • The three battleships ( the ten cruisers were out of range ) on their first volley took out three anti air units that were marching one behind the other. Maybe a couple were previously injured, but I didn't expect to lose all three. I check the count down and its under a minute before he fires again. I had to retreat and force march my ten armies that were attacking four provinces from six vectors ( can you guess where his battleship was sitting...lol ). His next volley catches the retreating armor and anti air following it. Another 25 hitpoints lost. I got the rest out of range in time and it was really close.
    • I've captured all Japan's territory except for these four provinces so if I can take them his navy will disappear. He has some infantry on a boat right beside the battleships. Also ten destroyers and I think 7 cruisers. There are three more fleets out there. There is no way, if Japan is an active player, to take it without a big navy. Those battleships can reach every single point in the country.
    • Another thing with this Tibet, right off the get go I think, the population was consuming more food then produced! I have two food provinces with factories and have kept fairly steady development. So a couple weeks in I'm facing a 300 loss per hour. I'm playing the stock market steadily, selling every resource for small cash to buy food. And someone will sell me a three dollar stick of wheat for twenty dollars. So I produce 10,000 food, the population consumes 13000, and the army want 5000. Maybe taking all those Chinese cities hurt me.
    • ender611 wrote:

computer controlled Japan
      The AI is very good at splitting their units up, So if they had 4 battleships, each would be assigned a separate target.

ender611 wrote:

keeps taking out everything within a mile. I don't get this.

I am fairly sure that the splash damage on battleships is somewhere between 3 and 5 kilometers, so each attack will damage the targeted unit, and also units in close proximity.

ender611 wrote:

Another thing with this Tibet, right off the get go I think, the population was consuming more food then produced!
      The 25 player historical map is not intended to be fair, balanced, or easy. Resources are in short supply across the map.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Thanks VorlonFCW, that clears it up a bit. There was obvious splash damage. I'll run with stacked units next time. Looking at the newspaper, I lost 5 anti air and 1 armor in less then 3 minutes. So that is over 50 hit points lost to three battleships that fire 4.9 at infantry and 3.9 at armor. Still seems overkill ( maybe glitchy ). I will place close attention on the next attack with leveled up armored cars next time. I now only have three provinces to take now, though one is also within range of the cruisers.
    • This was my first time playing the historical map. Just wanted to check it out for a couple days to see what it was about and here I am three weeks later. Started with Cuba to see what such a small country would even offer. Decided to start three more games ( not allot to do when you are Cuba ) and they are all quite a different experience. I have so much production out of Poland I'm gifting my coalition allies 10,000 chunks of food and commodities daily.
    • Does seem unrealistic. So his transport ran into my submarine that was within battleship range. The battleships fired and got 1.5 hits on the sub which is normal, and then started counting down from 60 minutes. Thought it a good time for the land units to force march to the targets. Worked for a good half hour, then the battleships changed targets. My armor reached one province in time, but the battleships rattled off a volley every minute killing the other 5 armies with 5 volleys. So I think to rush the provinces with big armies I would be looking at losing 500 hit points of units to achieve victory. Wouldn't be too glorious.
    • There were 10 destroyers, 7 cruisers and 3 aircraft carriers with the 3 battleships. Probably subs too. About a third of his fleet.

But I tried it again with a stack of 6 armor plus stacks of anti air. Threw a few singles in. This time the battle went as expected. Ran the armor in first into battleship range and took a hit of I think 13 points, just as expected from these battleships. Then the timer for the next volley showed 1 hour. Surprised, I rushed all men to all targets and got all the provinces making the ships disappear.

Maybe it was buggy that day, I don't know.
    • So long as you split the stacks prior to the targets being in range, ou should be able to designate targets individually. Once the group as a whole has fired, you will have a one hour wait (or remaining portion of) on everyone before individual targeting will fire.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • It is remarkably tricky to perform that quickly if you are not a computer.

I would have the whole battleship group set on "Hold fire", or if not than in a constant state of movement so they would not fire before I was ready.

then split one battleship off, and give it the attack command.

then select the group and again split one battleship off to give the attack command.

repeat as needed.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<