Scout Cars, SP Artillery, SP AA, and Mechanized Infantry

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Scout Cars, SP Artillery, SP AA, and Mechanized Infantry

All units share these 3 icons, why? These are all German vehicles, The Americans should have the M16, M3 Halftrack, Priest, etc. The Soviets should have uh, what did they have? No clue because I'm not a communist. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine to see these units for everyone when they should be different.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by JCS Darragh ().

• JCS Darragh wrote:

All units share these 3 icons, why? These are all German vehicles, The Americans should have the M16, M3 Halftrack, Priest, etc. The Soviets should have uh, what did they have? No clue because I'm not a communist. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine to see these units for everyone when they should be different.
      Agreed, it would take a lot of work but a more realistic unit configuration and related artwork to historical accuracy would make the game better in my opinion too.
      :thumbup: :beer: - Living the dream!
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

The Soviets should have uh, what did they have? No clue because I'm not a communist. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine to see these units for everyone when they should be different.
      well, i know soviets had M3 halftrack too, cause the lend & lease, so, maybe they could share that icon, but not the sdfkz
      scout car could be BA-6, SPG: SU-14 and SPAAG SU-11
      La guerra no se gana muriendo por tu país sino haciendo que el enemigo muera por el suyo-Patton
      No nos retiramos, avanzamos en otra dirección-MacArthur
      Los planes son inútiles pero la planificación lo es todo-Eisenhower
      El arte de la guerra consiste en someter al enemigo sin dar batalla-Sun Tzu
      Nunca interrumpas al enemigo si esta cometiendo un error-Napoleon
      Ningun plan por mas bueno que sea sobrevive al contacto con el enemigo-Von Moltke
    • The soviet SP artillery would be like the tank destroyer, but with a howitzer in it instead of a AT gun.

If you look at the pictures in the current Russian tech tree there are some of them there. Funny thing is that the game mixes them up. You can see a lot of Russian SP arty depicted as a tank destroyer and a lot of Russian TD depicted as a SP arty.

In the war though, vehicles designed to have a fire support role were often used as TD and vice versa. Use all the guns you have, whatever its designed purpose was every day practice.

Anyway, Russian SP arty should look like the SU 122. IMHO, a very characteristic Russian SP vehicle. You can really see the t-34 chassis being used as a standard to keep production cheap. All they did was put an 122mm howitzer on it with encased armor.

Much like the current Russian TD in the game that looks like the SU-85. The SU-85 was a t-34 tank chassis with a 85mm anti tank gun on it.
    • All in all a pointless debate ..

The icons in the tech tree are primarily used to easily identify the units, should be distinctive, and are therefore always the same.
      For me the symbols are well chosen.

That many symbols represent German weapons is absolutely logical, because first, the game comes from Germany, and secondly, German weapons were visually mostly more beautiful.

Btw, if were used different, strictly country-specific illustrations for the icons, some countries could not research all secret weapons, because there would not be matching icons.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

That many symbols represent German weapons is absolutely logical, because first, the game comes from Germany, and secondly, German weapons were visually mostly more beautiful.
      The first is indeed somewhat logical, the second is ridiculously subjective.

Tanks and airplanes also have a country specific skin. As does infantry, why not the other big equipment? I really think it is not that crazy a thing to suggest.

That secret tech all has the same look is not that weird either. There are very few people capable of telling the difference between a russian and german railroadgun and probably even fewer that care about it.

I think the tank destroyer tells the difference best. The USA used an open top AND a turret for their vehicles, the Russians made a tank chassis with a Casemate on it and the Germans did whatever they could to make vehicles capable of carying big guns. Hence the tank destroyers all look completely different, which I think is very cool!

Sp artillery looks like a wespe. Its just weird for the Russians and the Americans to use them. Especially since the Russianss and Americans both also designed their SP artillery in a very unique way in comparison to the Germans. Again, the Russians had a closed top and the Americans had an open top.

I personally prefer the look of the Russian equipment over the German equipmant when they drive around the map. The t-34 representation for the medium tank is absolutely awesome! As for the Americans, I LOVE that the TD looks like an M-10.

People have a point in wishing for more country/affiliation specific skins for the vehicles!
    • Never thought that this seems to be such a huge problem.

As said, looking the current symbols, everyone can immediately see, even without much knowledge of ww II history, what kind of vehicle it is.

For me I do absolute not care what kind of symbol is used in the tech tree, the main thing is that it's obvious at first glance.

So what, for example, should be used instead as SP-AA for the Russian or Japanese tech tree without first having to think about strange agricultural equipment ..?

• Yeah, looks shitty, and is not a SP-AntiAir ..

SP-AA is something the Russians did not really build yet at the time

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• Restrisiko wrote:

Yeah, looks shitty, and is not a SP-AntiAir ..
      That is just your opinion sir. Mother Russia made really cool looking vehicles as far as I'm concerned.

Ah I only just noticed you said SP AA instead of SP arty. sorry...

Well then we can give them an historically accurate m3 truck they lend leased from the americans with an AA on it. Not saying everything should be country custom. Sp AA were not as typical as the SP arty was in my opinion, there were a LOT of these vehicles in service.
    • If we're talking about tech trees here, I'm just going to throw in my two cents and say there should also be icons and skins for British, French and Italian troops. There're tech trees for all of these somewhere in forums.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • No, each country does not need a specific skin! activates american lend lease the brits are fine with USA equipment (as they did use most of it) and there doesn't have to be italians, because what did they do during the war? They all died.
    • Not every country needs a model, but the major players should. The UK only leased American medium tanks, they(mostly) made their own equipment- for example, all of Britain's cruiser tanks were made in Blighty itself. And what about the French? France didn't lease any weapons from America. And perhaps, maybe Italy was the junior partner(who also defected to the Allies in 1943), but to say the Italians did nothing during the war is frankly a little insulting.

Also, where did "every country having its own model" come from? I only mentioned three countries!
    • :shrug:

I dunno, France doesn't really need its own tank models to be honest activates the fact that france didn't really fight well, I haven't heard of any large French offensives in the 40's, when the major players arrived.
    • Just because they "didn't fight very well" or "weren't that good" doesn't mean they didn't exist. It also doesn't mean they didn't fight. I don't know, I just think it would be more aesthetically pleasing to see more units fighting than just the boring old German/American/Russian/Japanese models.
    • Well I do agree that the Allies are a little over reliant on american depictions as it is now. The heavy tank could for instance just as well be a churchill. The mechanized infantry could be a kangaroo. Or any kind of mix of allied units. I mean I understand that the medium tank for the allies is the Sherman tank, there were a LOT of them and they were an important part of the allied war machine. But for the other mechanized parts there are plenty of other typical machines to choose from.