Possible changes, more units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Possible changes, more units

Hello all,

CoW is a great strategy game, however. I do think things are a bit unnecesary limited as it is right now.

A way to counter this would be to have units play a more in depth kind of role. There is a much greater variety of units in the game if one counts the levels of units individually. So my suggestion is one that has been done before, do not automaticly upgrade all units to the next level. However, I do not know if my suggestions are good in this but here is the following .

1) perhaps Industrial complexes can also be limited to building a certain level of unit. For example, for a level 3 medium tank one would require level 2 infrastructure AND a level 3 Industrial complex.

2) Perhaps there should be a time attached to the upgrade, depending on how far units are away from the core.

3) Perhaps units should first go to a province where the required buildings are in place and then stay there a while to be upgraded.

4) Divisions could be limited to their SBDE total to avoid tech stacking. This would mean that an economy would be linked to the strenght of the units players could build, and where they can be built. Taking over an enemy's Industrial complexes will make them able to build more 'older' equipment. This will make the advantage a nation gets by invading a lot of countries more limited and intensivies the importance of core development throughout the game.

5) I think ranged units like artillery should get a slight range increase with every level or every 2 levels, airplanes already have this. It would add another layer to how artillery support plays a role during battles.

6) This also adds a level of logistics to the game that is currently not present.

What does everyone think?

Kind regards,

Edepedable

The post was edited 1 time, last by Edepedable ().

• I don't think the unit upgrade system should be slowed down; can you imagine a raging battle and some of your troops halfway going, "hold on, I need to get upgraded first"?

What reason (other than "realism") do you have for suggesting this, what problem are you solving?

As for artillery, it already gets range upgrades, though not for every level. This is a ver tricky subject to tamper with; range is MUCH more important in artillery duels than for air (for example, they can render fortresses useless, and more)
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • My main reason would be to make logistics a part of the game, yes in favor of realism for example. It would add more strategy to the game. Which units to replace first and which to have continue fighting with 'older' equipment.

K.Rokossovski wrote:

I don't think the unit upgrade system should be slowed down; can you imagine a raging battle and some of your troops halfway going, "hold on, I need to get upgraded first"?
      This would be in the hands of the player. You can also just continue your conquest with the older equipment. I'd even go as far as saying that you can sort of choose what level tanks you want to build depending on the level of IC you have in a city.

In relation to artillery I'd say that it makes little sense to me that they only get a range increase once. Cruisers also get them twice for example (not counting elite's).

It seems to be to be a possible answer to the boredom that is using the same equipment in the same order of research over and over again. The game could be more diverse than it is now.
    • Edepedable wrote:

My main reason would be to make logistics a part of the game, yes in favor of realism for example. It would add more strategy to the game. Which units to replace first and which to have continue fighting with 'older' equipment.

K.Rokossovski wrote:

I don't think the unit upgrade system should be slowed down; can you imagine a raging battle and some of your troops halfway going, "hold on, I need to get upgraded first"?
      This would be in the hands of the player. You can also just continue your conquest with the older equipment. I'd even go as far as saying that you can sort of choose what level tanks you want to build depending on the level of IC you have in a city.
      In relation to artillery I'd say that it makes little sense to me that they only get a range increase once. Cruisers also get them twice for example (not counting elite's).

It seems to be to be a possible answer to the boredom that is using the same equipment in the same order of research over and over again. The game could be more diverse than it is now.
      Maybe a timer. Buildings were damaged, taking realism into effect, in Iraq we didn't take over a building then start producing new M16's in Iraq, we shipped them in still. So to Edependable's point having a 2-3 day timer on production from captured buildings would make some sense but also would hamstring growth and slow everything down further in the start like you said you didn't like in another thread.. ;)

Arty you get a range increase twice when you hit elite status, but an increase prior to elite and then another increase upon elite would be cool imho.
      :thumbup: :beer: - Living the dream!
    • Svven78 wrote:

Maybe a timer. Buildings were damaged, taking realism into effect, in Iraq we didn't take over a building then start producing new M16's in Iraq, we shipped them in still. So to Edependable's point having a 2-3 day timer on production from captured buildings would make some sense but also would hamstring growth and slow everything down further in the start like you said you didn't like in another thread.. ;)

Haha I appreciate you trying to hang me with my own words, it means you read what I wrote. Thank you for that.

I do not think it would slow things down in the beginning. The lower level units could be built by the level 1 industrial complexes you start with anyway. Since I am pretty sure everyone upgrades his core (resources and all) it would now have the additional effect of being able to train higher level units.

Say you build 20 LT in the beginning, they are level 1. Later on there are about 10 remaining after doing some fighting. Then you get level 2 light tanks. Now you can build new light tanks at level 2 or upgrade your level 1 light tanks by sending them back to a factory that has level 2 requirements. Or you can not upgrade them and just use them as level 1 while you make higher level units to form a division that will fight a strong player. More options to consider! More strategy!
    • The problem you have is they single unit the game to make it easier to program, the instant upgrades upon research is easier for their program. If you force them to have lvl 1-5 units then its much more code for them to keep right which would make the game more buggy until perfected.
    • You know I just remembered they are already tracking the different levels or units, I gave some planes to someone and they had a level higher, it tracked them as two different stacks when combined... so yeah it would just take some increment adjustments to a can build lvl 1 on lvl 1 lvl 2 on lvl 2 etc...
    • Another problem would of course be tech stacking. In the current system, having units of different tech levels is a HUGE advantage, because they don't accumulate towards SBDE. In this way a stack could have 6 tanks of level 1 AND 6 of level 2, effectively doubling its fire power, creating much more options in doom stacs, advantages in artillery duels and dogfights, naval monoculture, etc. People are already (ab)using this advantage by swapping units between players like Svven said, but this is pretty complicated; being able to do this as ONE player in a very simple way would make this much more problematic.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Edepedable wrote:

4) Divisions could be limited to their SBDE total to avoid tech stacking. This would mean that an economy would be linked to the strength of the units players could build, and where they can be built. Taking over an enemy's Industrial complexes will make them able to build more 'older' equipment. This will make the advantage a nation gets by invading a lot of countries more limited and intensivies the importance of core development throughout the game.
      From my original post.
    • Edepedable wrote:

Edepedable wrote:

4) Divisions could be limited to their SBDE total to avoid tech stacking. This would mean that an economy would be linked to the strength of the units players could build, and where they can be built. Taking over an enemy's Industrial complexes will make them able to build more 'older' equipment. This will make the advantage a nation gets by invading a lot of countries more limited and intensivies the importance of core development throughout the game.
      From my original post.
      Yeah you should SBDE based on the unit type and that should solve this problem.