Speeding up the early game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Speeding up the early game

Hello all,

I doubt I am the only player that does not favor the early game. In all honesty the game of call of war to me, does not really start until after day 16. Why is that?

Well I think in part it is because of the options the game has due to the research tree. The first two weeks leave you with a rather small choice of units compared to day 16. This matters a lot both strategicly and tacticly.

The armored research tree is the most varied and has some of the most interesting (unique) units. As far as I am concerned.
      Day 8 allows to research the medium tank, the tank destroyer and motorized infantry. All very interesting equipment because they do things differently than the equipment you had before. Note that at this time all the air and naval units are already available. The armored research tree keeps on lagging behind in a strange way. On day 16 you can start research in the SP artillery and SP anti-air, then finally on day 20 you get acces to mechanized infantry. Note that even similar units (light vs medium tank) require a different tactical and strategical aproach.

My suggestion to make the game more interresting and more fun is this. Make equipment more available early on. Waiting for SP anti-air, SP artillery and mechanized infantry this long makes no sense to me. The wait it takes for these units to play a part makes for very one sided game play in the early game. On top of this the armored tree seems to be the only one doing this. I see no need for this.

On smaller maps, the first 16 days of a map can very well be 50% of the time it takes to play a map to completion. Its a little boring to only have the same small amount of possibilities every time you start a map.

Curious to see what everyone thinks.

Kind regards,

Edepedable
    • Edepedable wrote:

I doubt I am the only player that does not favor the early game.
      Well fine if I'm a minority, but I _LOVE_ the early game! The tactical manoevring before air power stifles it, the artillery duels, the impact a single tank can have... truly great!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I see both your points of view. I agree up to a certain point but it does seem a little dull to me that there is such a limited approach to ways in which things can be accomplished in the early game.

I also think that airplanes reign supreme partly because they are already up in the air and their greatest counter on the ground, SP anti-air, can be researched at day 16. After this it still has to go to places it is needed most. In the meantime those that already have airplanes can enjoy their level 3 airplanes while the airplanes just pop from level 2 to level 3. On top of this airplanes are already a lot more manouverable than units on the ground anyway. This means that the level growth of airplanes can easily be exploited to gain advantages. In sharp contrast to their counter.

Being able to build SP anti-air and SP artillery whilst having a range increase as a part of the SP artillery line would in my opinion make for a more interesting research tree.
    • Yeah, there is an event for that.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Svven78 wrote:

I am sure there is a way to have a highly upgraded starting point, if it hasn't already been done, a fully unlocked map, no research required, better builder wins.
      Yup, try the arms race event. 150 units, all research unlocked but not all done, and cities all built to maximum level.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<