Immersive enhancements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Immersive enhancements

Dear Generals,

today’s release is all about quality and immersion. We are enhancing our graphical features even further to make sure that we stay a top notch strategy game that looks appealing from the first glance. With the new map border frame and cloud effects you will feel more immersed in being a General managing troops on a global scale. At the same time we want to make sure that our game stays playable and readable in all arising situations, so we also implement further usability improvements. To round things off, as usual we include a bunch of bug fixes to deliver the best gameplay experience possible to you.

Please see below a detailed list of all changes:

Enhanced graphics version (WebGL):
      • Added a map border frame for more immersion.
      • Added cloud effects for more immersion.
      • Added timer icons for refueling and delay commands.
      • Inaccessible territory and islands are displayed on the map again.
      • The attack range circles of ranged units are now displayed more accurately.
      • Province borders are now easier to see in combination with the map lighting.
      • The supply drop icon got positioned closer to the affected province.
      • The name of the selected province is shown again also when having “display province names” turned off in the settings.

Other improvements:

• We exchanged the resource icons to give them a clearer identity and to make them better visible on the map.
      • Rockets are not able to be fired directly on flying planes anymore. Instead rockets will now try to launch on the airport of the targeted planes.
      • Nuclear bombers can’t patrol anymore to make their purpose more clear and to prevent potential issues.
      • We now show event announcements in the home screen of the mobile app as well.
      • In the mobile app, entries in the event log of speed rounds are now showing real-time dates instead of in-game time.
      • For speed maps, the newspaper now consistently shows real-time dates instead of in-game time.
      • The “Event log” in the game is renamed to “Front reports” to not be confused with our weekly Event scenario announcements.

Bugfixes:

• We fixed a bug that led to a big delay in the time between receiving an achievement and being able to collect its gold reward.
      • Fixed an issue which led planes to regard air connections as sea connections.
      • We fixed a bug in the mobile app that led to the back button in the loading screen being unresponsive in certain cases.
      • We fixed a case where it was not possible for some users to switch back to the enhanced graphics renderer (WebGL) in the game options.
      • We fixed a bug in the mobile app that led to the on-screen keyboard overlapping buttons in certain cases.
      • We fixed a bug in the mobile app that led to the buttons in the "round has not yet started" being unresponsive.
      • We fixed a bug in the PC version that led to coalitions showing broken images when coalition flags were missing.
      • We fixed a bug on some mobile devices that led to units being selectable only when you tap slightly above them.
      We hope you like the changes and also enjoy our current events. More exciting new events are in the works!
      Also, there may be a very special surprise coming soon... What could it be? Find out with the announcement in a few days...

Your Bytro Team
    • Thanks for answering my question that I've posted slightly earlier. It really cleared up things a bit. For some reason, I actually like the rocket nerf, because it adds a bit of realism to the game.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Patrol with an atomic bomber is important for both recon of the target and the ability to wait for the opportune moment to strike.

As the only value in using atomic bombers is by precisely targeting something undefended this requires perfect timing. This is no longer possible as you can't "pause" the attack run until the correct moment.

This has made atomic bombers worthless.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Patrol with an atomic bomber is important for both recon of the target and the ability to wait for the opportune moment to strike.

As the only value in using atomic bombers is by precisely targeting something undefended this requires perfect timing. This is no longer possible as you can't "pause" the attack run until the correct moment.

The change also had be done for some technical reasons and thus won't be taken back. If the atomic bomber lost some value with this change, we can make it stronger or cheaper in a future balancing update to make up for it.
    • BeerBelly wrote:

I'm not sure I would call the changes "enhancements" if they break the game. We can't login.

PLEASE Fix it asap!
      I am confused on what you are saying. can you explain it to me?
      FORUM GANG WARRANT OFFICER
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
      KNOW THE RULES!
      Call of War Game Rules
      Call of War Forum Rules
      Terms of Service

attacker 101
      Call of War Player
      EN Server | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • freezy wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

Patrol with an atomic bomber is important for both recon of the target and the ability to wait for the opportune moment to strike.

The change also had be done for some technical reasons and thus won't be taken back. If the atomic bomber lost some value with this change, we can make it stronger or cheaper in a future balancing update to make up for it.
      So, to summarize, atomic bombers are:

-the same cost as nuclear rockets rare material-wise
      -can no longer patrol to ensure more strike accuracy
      -does less damage than the nuclear rocket at level 1, and requires you to waste resources, time, and research slots to upgrade to level 3
      -if you want to upgrade the nuclear bomber, you have to first upgrade the obsolete strategic bomber. Researching rockets is almost essential in late game. Strategic bombers are never used.
      -can be knocked out of the sky by a stray bullet or a fart
      -can no longer take advantage of their long range to hide from interceptors and other enemy units as they can only fly from airport to airport
      -is affected by SBDE, which makes the nuclear payload do even less damage
      -the only advantage they have is quick travel time, but I'd rather wait a day to ship my nuclear rocket from Toronto to London and bring the fear of God into my enemies than fly there in three hours and have the bomber die instantly, throwing 10K rare material down the drain.

Don't get me wrong- the update is amazing. The new graphics are wonderful, and I love how inaccessible islands are once again back on the map, because it makes the map feel so much more comfortable. But, please Bytro, don't nerf something that's already useless. Please.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • war-play wrote:

I repeat, WebGL does't work at old videocards unlike Supremacy 1914!
      This is interesting.

Is this a recent change, or has COW enhanced graphics never worked on your older video cards?

Have you checked the steps in this troubleshooting thread?

forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…graphics-troubleshooting/
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<