Paratroopers are coming!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Paratroopers are coming!

Dear Generals,

We are excited to make a special announcement today: Paratroopers are finally coming to Call of War! Many of you asked for it for a long time, and we were listening.

Paratroopers could change the way Call of War is played in a major way, so they have to be implemented with care. We value the opinions and concerns of our players and don’t want to rush this. That’s why Paratroopers will be tested by our Frontline Pioneers in Beta games for several weeks. This gives us the opportunity to collect feedback and make necessary balancing adjustments, to make sure that they are neither too powerful nor too useless.

If you are one of the randomly selected Frontline Pioneers you can test Paratroopers in all Beta games right now! We will create additional Beta rounds, including speed rounds, for faster testing. You can send us your feedback in the Frontline Pioneer forum section or via submitting a support ticket from your Beta game. We will also create a feedback form that we will share in the Beta game notifications.

Final balancing values will be shared with the next release news, as they are subject to change during the Beta test. But we still want to give you a glimpse of how Paratroopers will work in the game, as the functionality is set:
      • Can only be built in the Capital.
      • Has high cost and high build requirements.
      • Is initially an airplane that can start from any airport.
      • Paratrooper airplane has low hitpoints and comparatively small range.
      • Can attack land targets: Airplane is replaced with a Paratrooper Infantry on the target location.
      • Paratrooper Infantry has a long cooldown period before it can start moving.
      • Paratrooper Infantry has slightly better stats than Infantry but moves slower.
      • Paratrooper Infantry can not be converted to an airplane again.

With this design we hope to enable new strategies, like invading islands off the coast or special operations behind enemy lines, while still making it a risky and costly choice with enough possibilities for the defender to protect themselves.

When Paratroopers are released in the near future, we will make them available only in new game rounds that are created after the release. This is to make sure that we don’t interfere with your ongoing war efforts and strategies.

We hope that you are as excited as we are about the future addition of this unit and look forward to its release in the upcoming weeks!

Your Bytro team
    • Hey freezy,

Looks like many of the worries discussed in the 'on paratroopers' thread that is on the forum were taken seriously. I will have to wait and see the specifics, but I surely applaud the limited range and the long cooldown before movement as is described.

Sadly I am not a frontline pioneer so I will have to wait even longer. Though I have a question about the targeting. What qualifies as a target location? Enemy unit? Province center? Any point on a road?

I'm curious to see how it works and happy that there is care being put into keeping this game balanced and strategicly interresting. Awesome that the game keeps improving!

Keep up the good work guys.

Kind regards,

Edepedable
    • Well, as one conservative who is against the implementing of paratroopers, I would say it's not a good idea to say the least. However, if it does work fine, I don't mind it as long as our worries from the opposition side are taken into account. Thanks Bytro for on one side pleasing the ones who asked for paratroopers for literally ages and reassuring the others who don't want them (at least some of them). I do hope the results will be objective, and although I am against the implementing of it, I would welcome any decision made by Bytro on paratroopers.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • This unit is more likely wont be popular at all with the current design of the game, it's too costly and long to produce and with the health of a normal Infantry, long landing time and a slower travel speed, they wont accomplish anything at all in regards to the grand strategy.

Armored car will likely still be preferred over this always, they are too OP and cheap. Although it can be a heresy to do so, look up towards CoN, where only Infantry type units have the ability to occupy territory. This would make the game to have a more in depth strategy should this be also implemented on CoW.
    • Edepedable wrote:

Hey freezy,

Looks like many of the worries discussed in the 'on paratroopers' thread that is on the forum were taken seriously. I will have to wait and see the specifics, but I surely applaud the limited range and the long cooldown before movement as is described.

Sadly I am not a frontline pioneer so I will have to wait even longer. Though I have a question about the targeting. What qualifies as a target location? Enemy unit? Province center? Any point on a road?

I'm curious to see how it works and happy that there is care being put into keeping this game balanced and strategicly interresting. Awesome that the game keeps improving!

Keep up the good work guys.

Kind regards,

Edepedable
      They can target province centers or land units on the road.

Targeting has to be done with care though, like missiles they are not "homing" and if you dont do it right you could land them on the middle of the road with the enemy already moving away. But because they are planes they can still be retargeted during flight, so some micromanagement is involved in dropping them on the right spot :)

AK140 wrote:

This unit is more likely wont be popular at all with the current design of the game, it's too costly and long to produce and with the health of a normal Infantry, long landing time and a slower travel speed, they wont accomplish anything at all in regards to the grand strategy.

Armored car will likely still be preferred over this always, they are too OP and cheap. Although it can be a heresy to do so, look up towards CoN, where only Infantry type units have the ability to occupy territory. This would make the game to have a more in depth strategy should this be also implemented on CoW.
      Of course Paratroopers will only play a special and narrow role in Call of War, and that's how they are designed. They shall not be super units that are spammed for every purpose. They shall be units that can be used in very particular situations, when the enemy is not expecting it. Even though they are more expensive and weaker than other units, they still have this special feat that they can fly over enemy fortresses and conquer unguarded territory. This alone makes them a very big thread and that's why we have to balance them this way.
    • freezy wrote:

Of course Paratroopers will only play a special and narrow role in Call of War, and that's how they are designed. They shall not be super units that are spammed for every purpose. They shall be units that can be used in very particular situations, when the enemy is not expecting it. Even though they are more expensive and weaker than other units, they still have this special feat that they can fly over enemy fortresses and conquer unguarded territory. This alone makes them a very big thread and that's why we have to balance them this way.
      It's just that, Armored car (and other like Light Tank and SP-AA) do exactly what Paratroopers intended to do far better, far cheaper and far faster than them and we already have these super soldier for a long time. Due to the long landing time and slow travel movement, they'd likely just be bombarded with Artillery or Bombers, their low landing range makes them land not too far from the front, it's not really the place where important city/provinces usually located and their weak HP + limited mobilization made them mostly useless to intercept an enemy unit behind the front (Unless managing to kill a single Armored car can be considered decent victory).

The bottom line is that consider nerfing the already super soldier before adding special soldier that already have another to do it's intended role.
    • @AK140 , if you find an alternative to be better, don't use them. Every player has preferences for certain units and dislikes for certain others. It is about options, strategy and preferences. People that want to use them now can. That is a good thing. Its like railroad guns, some players love them, I have never built a single one. I once bought one from another player for testing and it is just not my cup of tea, to slow for my taste. Para's could be a similar thing.

In the case of attacking islands it could be fun. Or not if you are indeed Britain and para's can land in your entire core (I think their range should keep this into account). Or maybe this is where I will start using railroadguns, defending Britain against possible para's.

Let the pioneers do the testing and I'm sure it will be fine. They could work if they are balanced out correctly. Just another thing to take into account. Most other strategies also only work if the enemy is not either active or/and prepared, so why not para's.

Kind regards,

Edepedable
    • Edepedable wrote:

@AK140 , if you find an alternative to be better, don't use them. Every player has preferences for certain units and dislikes for certain others. It is about options, strategy and preferences. People that want to use them now can. That is a good thing. Its like railroad guns, some players love them, I have never built a single one. I once bought one from another player for testing and it is just not my cup of tea, to slow for my taste. Para's could be a similar thing.

In the case of attacking islands it could be fun. Or not if you are indeed Britain and para's can land in your entire core (I think their range should keep this into account). Or maybe this is where I will start using railroadguns, defending Britain against possible para's.

Let the pioneers do the testing and I'm sure it will be fine. They could work if they are balanced out correctly. Just another thing to take into account. Most other strategies also only work if the enemy is not either active or/and prepared, so why not para's.

Kind regards,

Edepedable
      I'm one of the frontline pioneer, haven't got the chance to test it yet, but i state my opinion. For i believe adding useless unit is a work for the sake of adding a work. It wont add anything new, most likely just generate more outcry from those who wanted paratroopers. Mind you, i'm more of advocate realistic and practicality of war into the game, the paratrooper idea sounds interesting, but if it's going to be so useless, they shouldn't have added it in the first place and instead focus on more important things.
    • That's why we have the beta test, to fine tune the balancing. Before rambling, please test it thoroughly, and that also includes defending against them when you are on the receiving end (which most people ignore in the discussion, especially regarding offline times in a realtime game).

In the end we want to make sure that every unit has it's use case, but that none is too dominant. We are not there yet for all units and it they be tackled in the future.

ACs can be rushed through empty provinces, that is their use case, and in that regard they are certainly better than paratroopers. That is per design, we do NOT want paratroopers to be used to rush through provinces and conquer huge amounts of land. Their main use case (also historically) is that they can conquer and hold a specific province or take out a single target that is not reachable by other ground units because the route is blocked. Some maps have narrow spaces where you cannot just break through with an AC. In the past you only needed to block off these entry points in your territory. But with paratroopers in the game there will also be the threat of losing provinces behind those entry points. That alone can be a game changer and gives this unit a unique purpose. It also forces enemies to build more rear guards or to live with the risk of losing a province for free. Even with high costs they remain a psychological threat for the other players. As K.Rokossovski said in another thread, they are designed to be a kind of a "Joker" unit.