Paratrooper Beta Feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The issues were not related to Paratroopers but a general beta problem. It was resolved already, so you should all be able to play.

Peter Mat wrote:

You should also require one to research the airplane. It is comical that you can build a paratrooper and never know how to build a plane. :)
    We actually want to reduce all these cross-tab dependancies as they are not well visualized.
    Logically speaking, with the paratrooper research you also research building a transport plane at the same time.
  • Thanks, now that the loop has been fixed and I researched para's twice I can finally drop one on a militia unit to see how well they stack up in a battle. Day 12 in my game now, getting ready to turn 13.

Also I have noticed the Beta games are taking an extremely long time The artistic visual stays up a long time, while some of the menu items pop on the screen. Eventually the map loads.
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

The post was edited 1 time, last by Peter Mat ().

• Not bad, In the first two combat cycles the level 1 para dropped to 60% health while the militia dropped to 14%. Both were at 100% to start. The battle took place on (Cypress) Nicosia. Para ended the battle at 53%

Range wise I could reach Cypress or Rhodes, but not Crete. It looks like once Rhodes is captured I will be able to reach Crete. Within turkey the level 1 can drop 1 province away and in a couple instances it will be able to drop 2.
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

The post was edited 2 times, last by Peter Mat ().

• Got a few para's now and going to invade Crete from Derna. Throwing in 3xPara lvl-2 against 1xInf lvl-2 to see what happens.

I have yet to use them in a serious offensive situation but I think
    having a reserve of a few para units will be quite handy in main games
    as a very mobile reserve to throw into a surprise defensive battle or if
    an opportunity opens up in range of the main front line (jumping on an
    ill-defended enemy airbase with refueling planes would be great fun).

I would like to see para's being able to be 'refurbished' so they can
    fly again. Either return the unit to the capital and wait a few hours
    (12 maybe) and they convert back to a plane, or even better, send them
    to a city with precursors in place (lvl-3 airbase, barracks and IC) and
    they refurbish after a wait period (maybe 24 hours if not your capital).
    7th Flieger were never used again after Crete but they were rebuilt so
    they could have been used - and were in fact used as a fast mobile
    reserve being flown into Tunisia and then Sicily.

Question: para can be flown into attack and convert to para-inf, but
    what happens if you want to fly them somewhere and drop them as a
    defensive unit in your own province - at the moment it seems to me that
    they will just end up as a para-convoy with very limited combat strength
  • I've just become a FP. In my first game and looking to use the paras, however I can make one simple observation.

The symbol for paratroopers in research features a Horsa aircraft-towed glider. Paratroopers did not jump out of these, they were actually used by the airborne infantry (not para-troopers) who were a component of the airborne divisions of the era. The majority of troops in an airborne division were infantry borne by gliders who would follow into landing sites hopefully secured by troops who had parachuted in, the paratroopers :).

The symbol should be changed to a DC 3 Dakota aircraft IMHO.

Also I see blueprints are needed for 2 types of unit in my profile. The one depicted by the Horsa and the other by a paratrooper. Yet I only see 1 branch of research for the Horsa in game.

Are blue prints for these new units available in normal non-FP games? If I collect blue prints in an FP game will they be retained once the new unit is made available for normal use?

AM grateful for this new unit.
  • Captain Hurricane wrote:

Also I see blueprints are needed for 2 types of unit in my profile. The one depicted by the Horsa and the other by a paratrooper. Yet I only see 1 branch of research for the Horsa in game.
    If I understand it correctly, it is one set of blueprints.

So you research and build a level 1 plane. At the moment of attack the plane is replaced by the ground paratroop unit which is the same level that the plane was.

This means that you will collect one set of blueprints, but they will be "applied" to both units.

If I misunderstand I believe Mr Freezy will explain it better tomorrow. :)
    War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
    Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
  • One statistic for destroyed paras before their jump..
    ..one for destroyed paras after they jumped

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
    ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
    .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
    Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
  • It is one unit with two "states of matter" so to speak ..

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
    ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
    .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
    Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
  • Jabberwocki wrote:

having a reserve of a few para units will be quite handy in main games
    as a very mobile reserve to throw into a surprise defensive battle
    the 1st problem is that they are far from mobile... The range is too limited.
    the 2nd problem is that a serious player cannot sacrifice research slots and resources to just 'have a few in reserve'. The 'opportunity costs' are far too high.

As it is, developing para's early in the game is a recipe for losing early IMHO.