I need help with Rockets

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I need help with Rockets

So i played yesterday with Germany and i declared war to Britain that i was preparing for about 5 days... and one of the parts of preparation was rocket production, and i produced 2, but i had 2 earlier so in total i had 4 rockets on an airport in Lille. I have declared war and as a mastermind that i am (its a joke lol) i occupied London in 3-4 hours. But what about the rockets? I dropped ALL of them on Manchester, and they damaged 4 units (1 lighttank, 2 infantry and 1 armored car) for 23% and only damaged the lvl1 airport by 5%. It is basically a failed investition, because rockets need time to be researched, need time to make airports etc and i only make negligible damage. Can some experienced player tell me how to use them, when to use them, are they even useful... :wallbash :wallbash :wallbash sorry for the long text. Thanks in advance!
    • I love using rockets against big stacks. Even though your rockets only killed four units, that's four units less you have to fight. They're great for fighting wars of attrition- you can just keep slamming the enemy, and they can't block you.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • People expect rockets to do more damage than they actually do.

Naturally the X factor has a part of any attack, but I like to consider that a level 2 rocket will kill 2 units at the most.

The more potential targets there are the less that is accomplished per target.

For example you have 4 units, an airbase, And likely and industrial complex, infrastructure, barracks, and maybe a fort at that location. So that means 8 or 9 targets. That splits the potential damage up a lot. You also don’t know how much damage was done to other buildings.

The low level of damage to the units suggests to me that the units could have moved to the edge of the blast zone and only got a partial hit. Rockets do not track moving targets and instead target an exact location. If the units are moving they may move a considerable distance during the rocket flight time.

I don’t subscribe to the one at a time rocket theory. The only time I use singles is when trying to catch refueling planes I send several singles to establish the flight time and in case the return flight time of the planes is less than the rocket flight time I send them before the actual plane flight time is known. Once I know the rocket flight time and the plane flight time I guess how many additional rockets will be needed and launch at the right time. Typically one rocket per 4 refueling planes. Maybe a few more if additional units are present.

With level 2 rockets in the original poster’s situation I would have sent a group of 3 most likely, and then observed the damage.

Now if you had 4 units in a city and were launching level 4 rockets, I would send a pair of rockets, observe the damage, and send more if needed. The beauty of level 4 rockets is that they ignore fortifications, so they cut through forts nicely.

With a large group of enemies I might launch up to 9 rockets all at once. I prefer to hedge my bets against a poor roll of the X factor dice and split rocket attacks into two groups.

Another favorite use for rockets is on disembarking units. Rockets do cover a wide range of coastline, so they make a fairly effective reaction to invasion by sea. Particularly if your spies or submarines give you good advance notice of an invasion you can produce rockets fairly quickly.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • @hakijaa Hello there fellow player!

Rockets are a great investment if a number of conditions are met.

1) Your country produces a lot of metal and enough rare metals, so you do not miss the resources spent on research and the rockets themselves.
      2A) You want to destroy units: The enemy has a lot of units in a single place that are standing still all of the time
      2B) You want to destroy buildings: You can reach the enemy core provinces, the enemy has only 1 (oil, rare metal, metal) province or 2 food provinces. The enemy has a certain resource that is rare for him, that is the idea.
      3) You have a lot of building capacity for them. Rockets tend to work best in masses (personal opinion).

It is usually best to want to do either of one things, 2A or 2B. As is stated by the others, shooting rockets at lower levels at a province with both a lot of buidlings AND units in them is ineffective, damage will spread to much.

When all 3 conditions are met, rockets are a good choice. A lot if not all depens on condition number 1 in this. If you do not have number 1, then rockets are probably a bad idea. The other two are also needed but are crucial to a lesser extent. If you go for a lot of rockets without condition 1 being met you are doing your enemy a favor.

Step 1 production

If you plan a rocket attack it is best to wait until at least day 16, or whenever level 2 rockets are available, though the longer you wait the more damage they do thus the better it is. Especially since rockets will cost the same at every level, their damage increases, but the target unit HP or building HP do not ever increase. Also after level 1 they can not be shot down. On top of this you have a week to produce level 1 rockets (need only a level 1 airport) that will turn into level 2 rockets when the level 2 rocket research is completed. This means that you can have a staggering number of rockets fast ONCE per map due to the level 1 - 2 exploit rockets have.

Step 2 selecting a target.

Destroying buildings is usually not often the choice you will go with. But it can be VERY effective in the long run. You might want to do this if targetting units is not an option for whatever reason. If a player has a rare resource of which you can destroy the production that is a great strategical move. It also will likely destroy/damage the industrial center in a city which will mean the enemy will be able to produce fewer units.

Destroying units will be your most likely aproach. There are a couple of things you can do to maximize damage to your enemy.

I) Choose enemy units with low HP. Why? Well because low HP units are more likely to die and the resources invested in them by your enemy will be lost.
      II) Choose a stationary target. Makes sense right? OR choose very slow ones (railroad guns)
      III) Crack a fort. If you aproach a fort with your own units, and you brought artillery the enemy will want to stay in his fort. However what if you shoot rockets at them? If they are dumb enough to exit the fort your rockets will destroy the fort and potentially hit the enemy units. AND your artillery can now shoot at the enemy outside of their fort.
      IV) Hit a moving target. It can be done, but it is hard. You have to have airplanes up that see a enemy group of units going to an ENEMY province. Fire a rocket at the enemy province and see how long it takes for the rocket to get there. Say the rocket takes 20 minuits. When your airplane says that your enemy will be in the province center 20 minuits from now, fire your rockets.
      V) Use units to attack an enemy directly so they can not move, then fire your rockets.
      VI) Force an enemy to use airplanes in direct attack. Do not let the enemy know that you have rockets. Use fast units to capture enemy provinces at the tip of his airplane's range. That might lure an enemy into using his airplanes in direct attack. If they do, kill the aircraft responsible. You lose 1 AC or LT sure, but they will probably lose a lot more aircraft.
      VII) Shoot at a large enemy division when you know the enemy to not be online. THIS IS THE BIGGEST DAMAGE DOER OUT OF ALL.

That is about it for how I use them, but rember, they are not a great idea on every single map you play. If you strugle with metal and/or rares they ar not a priority at all.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Edepedable

The post was edited 3 times, last by Edepedable ().

• Edepedable wrote:

V) Use units to attack an enemy directly so they can not move, then fire your rockets.
      Often overlooked, this is very effective.

Particularly when an enemy splits their forces up into many individual units all on random paths. You usually can't get your own planes around the front lines fast enough, so scattering your forces to hold key intersections or provinces and rocketing the enemy troops when they collide with yours can save a significant portion of your provinces.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<