Navy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am NOT a navy expert. I don't build big fleets and see out naval battles.

I try to keep my eye on the prize, which is provinces. Navy can't take or hold ground, so I don't want the bulk of my oil production/consumption tied up in ships.

I pick one ship and build it. Usually either subs or destroyers. I like the speed of destroyers to react where needed, and I can build a lot of them cheaply and quickly at any level 1 naval base. So if needed I can produce a dozen or two of them in a day late game. Subs can also do much the same things as destroyers, with the added bonus of covert spying on enemy coastlines. If I have an ally building subs, I will instead research destroyers.

Picking one ship, either subs or destroyers, and keeping the research current on it is a lot easier than building a balanced navy.

In some cases I build carriers to safely transport planes across the ocean. Usually I don't want to wait for day 24 and tactical bomber level 4 research to complete before crossing the ocean, so it is often nearly pointless. If an ally is building carriers I would prefer to buy a couple from them if needed.

Now if your enemy is building battleships and amassing a large navy and you need to take it on head to head, well I still have decent luck usually with a large number of destroyers. Run several groups close together and hammer the enemy groups, then move on to the next. Similar to the way I use artillery.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Navy units are AMAZING for Island countries, like Britain. Navy units automatically bombard any enemy convoys that come in range, so if you just surround your country with ships, convoys are gonna have a bad time trying to break through. They can also do HUGE damage to buildings with further research, and carriers can allow for bombardment from the air. The only kind of plane that can't eventually get onto a carrier is the Strategic Bomber, which sucks anyway.
    • FUNGUS_TE_FIRST wrote:

the world map im playing on opens up navys to having huge power
      I still don't build much navy on a 100 player world map. Just enough to cross from French Sudan to Maranhoa, see above. Other places you can disembark under the cover of air support, so a navy usually isn't needed. If you do find the suez full of subs, either go a different route, or refer to my advice about building a bunch of destroyers above.

The south pacific is not necessary to conquer to win the game, so spending a lot of time island hopping isn't a good choice.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<