Scarce Resource Allocation (food, oil, etc>)

• Scarce Resource Allocation (food, oil, etc>)

Currently been playing my first game for about three weeks and I seem to be on my way to victory with over 400 points. However, I have only been able to accomplish this by buying humongous amounts of gold, which I estimate to be about $300. At that pace I project that I would spend over $3,000 a year, a bit stiff for the average person.

I seem to always be running out of food and oil (got lots of troops, tanks, planes and ships). I wonder how common this problem is, and if it may have been the cause of all but three players dropping out of the game after only 3 or 4 days- despite the fact that their countries were not been invaded. Are we playing this wrong, or do the game designers need to be more generous in resource allocation (food, oil, etc.) to players? ... ?(
    • Hello, new member of cow comunity. Welcome.

Yes you made common mistakes of ressource ballance usage. In first weeks you should build not 100 percent ressources for units. Huge part you should invest in infastrukture, factories and dwarfes. You should try dont have too much wars same time, cause each war make minus 5 to provinces moral (up 25 moral penalty maximum). Remember you start already with moral far way under 100.

Economic power by 100 percent moral and full upgraded buildings give more then twice ressource of core province, then on day 1.
      However, conquered provinces have 75 percent penalty on ressource value. But still 100 percent of upkeep.
      Dont forget to develope some good conquered provinces, but not all of them, or at least not max upgrade some provinces with ressources you have enough.
    • You have fallen into a trap. You have become addicted to buying the resources and living beyond your means. Addiction is a hard cycle to break as well.

Proper management of your resources starts in the first days of the game.

In the early game I spend as many resources as I can on improving my economy. This means building infrastructure and industrial complexes in my core resource provinces. By improving these provinces to a level 3 infrastructure and level 5 industrial complex you double their resource production.

Next I try to conquer provinces at a steady pace. For each province you capture you gain approximately half of that day's production (unless the other player used it already) Also capturing the capitals of rich enemies gives you half of their cash on hand. This cash can purchase significant resources on the market when needed. In these cases it is better to find a country where the AI or player has improved their buildings so you have a better economic base to start from, although these countries have less cash on hand in their capital.

Next you ought to allocate part of your resources produced each day into improving the provinces that you captured. Building a strong economy gives you the ability to replace lost units at a rapid pace when necessary.

So to summarize: Create a budget for resources and stick to it. You should also create a budget for gold, as it sounds like you have spent more gold than the average player. You should be happy with your choices to spend gold or not, rather than feel it is a burden.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Thanks for the tips. I had intention of focusing on economic development early in my first tutorial game with Egypt , a strategy similar to that I adopted with Civilization 2 many years ago. I had a much better grip of Civ 2 than this game, having a balance between economic development and military expansion. I often won with the space race instead of conquest. But I'll hopefully will get the hang of this game. Ironically, I thought that the game was supposed to be a simulation of WW2!

Soon after the game started I was attacked by a computer player (Western Sahara). How the heck this that happen? They are on the West side of Africa! This was quickly followed by an attack by a human player in neighboring Libya. I thought then that the Libyan player was simulating Rommel's attack on Egypt! As I about defeated Libya, I got into a war with Morocco, who'd defeated my only ally in Algeria (they all eventually left the game). By then it was obvious that the game was not a simulation of WW2!

The game soon became like an old Risk game. In the newspaper, I saw that the game objective was to reach 618 points (60% of total points possible?). So I adapted a strategy to conquer a number of countries managed by the computer. And so apparently did my closest rival (Finland) on the north side of the board. We eventually ran into each other in Poland, where I managed to prevail.

May be next game I'll have a more peaceful start! By the way, can you score points by economic development instead of warmongering?

Anyhow, thanks for your advice! ... (-:
    • gusv wrote:

can you score points by economic development instead of warmongering?
      Yes, you earn points by constructing buildings or defeating the units of active players in ranked games.

So by attacking the computer controlled countries, you did not earn any ranking points. Of course you did get their land and resources.

gusv wrote:

Soon after the game started I was attacked by a computer player (Western Sahara). How the heck this that happen?
      This is a part of the tutorial process. A province is taken by an AI, such as Western Sahara, Saudi Arabia, or French West Africa among others.

gusv wrote:

60% of total points possible?
      Yes, 60% for a solo victory, 80% for a coalition victory.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator

• When you join a game, take a look at the players around you. Look at their stats and rank. Find someone with some experience and ask if they will work together with you and share their knowledge.

Of course not everyone will, and not everyone is a good teacher. Learning this game takes time. Start by reading everything you can here on the forum.

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator

• Vorlon the amazing at it again! Tons of great advice!

Gusv, you seem like a logical player, the best thing you can do is read as Vorlon said and don't be in such a hurry to win the first maps you play. The 22 player maps are great for experimenting. 20 days ago I started a map where I am in the process of taking 420 provinces. I will then stop the war mongering and start building/testing different troops and equipment against the remaining red players and NPCs (non player characters).

I will have taken 420 to prevent someone else obtaining the 600+ required to win the map without attacking me. Currently we are down to 2 active players and 1 barely active player. I will neuter the 2 active players forcing them to likely quit so then I can test different things in peace against the NPC countries. On the current map your on, it sounds like a perfect map to test things out now that you apparently killed the most viable opponent.

Building up / maxing the double resources first (oil and food) as well as your cores should allow you to field the largest military in the game and over time start building up the other single oil and food once you are awash in materials and have ridiculous income. Also consider not replacing the units you have and burn through all the nearby areas and units until you reach an equilibrium of production and expenditure.

Remember to stay under 600 provinces.

You can also attack an area and back away allowing them to capture some provinces if you get too close to 600. You can do that till your hear is content. If you haven't started a 2nd map I would start another 22 player map while you have the test map going to put some of this into practice.
      :thumbup: :beer: - Living the dream!