Pinned Quickstarter for COW Classic: how to play in the first vital days of the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think some more thorough change is needed. With the new research update, it is extremely questionable if it is a good idea to build 5 AT at the start, since the infra Lvl1 time and the research time for arty and LT are much smaller.

Although AT is the best defensive weapon against LT at the start of the game, one can argue that arty and LT are much more versatile.
    • With the new technology tree you can go straight for Medium tanks. Infra is building fast now so I'd suggest to build 5 arty first, followed with 5 AA to put in the stack of arty and finally 5 AT. After that i would opt for medium tanks and prepare your buildings and knowledge for SP arty and Mechanized infantry. Same goes for interceptors and tacticals.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

With the new technology tree you can go straight for Medium tanks. Infra is building fast now so I'd suggest to build 5 arty first, followed with 5 AA to put in the stack of arty and finally 5 AT. After that i would opt for medium tanks and prepare your buildings and knowledge for SP arty and Mechanized infantry. Same goes for interceptors and tacticals.
      I think that this (quite interesting otherwise) idea is very map-dependent, and more specifically resource-dependent. The total cost for producing non-stop Infa Lvl2 (especially the 5500 Metal per city) might be way above the possibilities of the economy, and in any case you will not have a MT before Day 5 (which is a bit two much). Also, by not upgrading the IC in the meantime you will have a much slower unit production.

Still, the general concept that with MT so quickly available it is wise not to spam too many LT at the start is I think a very correct one, and should be added to the main Tutorial text. I doubt the new players will read through page 3 to see it.

Now, for the MI I have the strongest possible doubts and I believe it is a very dangerous starting policy in the small maps (or even a suicidal one, depending on the starting food). Perhaps now there is an even bigger diversity here depending on the map.
    • Very nice thoughts, about row what to research, BUT do not forget that with recent changes you will have no problem with research time, but with ressources!

In the first days you need huge amount of rare and grain to develope all these things. For land units infantry, artilery, AT, AA, AC, LT (not to mention other units) seems to be too much in case that you would like to have air force (interceptors and TB at leasts - with out TB you better not to invest in interceptors at all, but ore AA, but dependent on you possibilities) and naval forces (subs, destroyer, cruiser, battleship).

I tries the Europe 10p map some weeks ago with new rules. I was with Germany (only 1 province with rare production and not a city in it) and have huge troubles to gather rare to develope infantry, artilery, AT, and LT , plus interceptors and tatical bomber - yes no AA and no naval forces (it was done by my allies) Research slots were mostly empty but no rare... market was empthy.

So I would summarize that with recent changes you have to concentrate in first days only on few units, which suits to your ressource production, location and enemy's style.

Second experience: goods are not anymore so important as it was before, but rare and grain has value even in the first days!
    • atreas1 wrote:

BMfox wrote:

With the new technology tree you can go straight for Medium tanks. Infra is building fast now so I'd suggest to build 5 arty first, followed with 5 AA to put in the stack of arty and finally 5 AT. After that i would opt for medium tanks and prepare your buildings and knowledge for SP arty and Mechanized infantry. Same goes for interceptors and tacticals.
      I think that this (quite interesting otherwise) idea is very map-dependent, and more specifically resource-dependent. The total cost for producing non-stop Infa Lvl2 (especially the 5500 Metal per city) might be way above the possibilities of the economy, and in any case you will not have a MT before Day 5 (which is a bit two much). Also, by not upgrading the IC in the meantime you will have a much slower unit production.
      Still, the general concept that with MT so quickly available it is wise not to spam too many LT at the start is I think a very correct one, and should be added to the main Tutorial text. I doubt the new players will read through page 3 to see it.

Now, for the MI I have the strongest possible doubts and I believe it is a very dangerous starting policy in the small maps (or even a suicidal one, depending on the starting food). Perhaps now there is an even bigger diversity here depending on the map.
      In the format where you train 5 arty first, then 5 AA and finaly 5 AT, gives you plenty of time to update all IC to level 2 and one infrastructure to level 2. As it's never interesting to spam units it's not necesairy to have 5 infrastructure level 2. With 5 AT and two Medium tanks you will hammer any player that uses LT.

Mechanized Infantry would be the final unit to produce once a stronger economy is built and the first SP arty have been produced.

As for the resources involved, step one still counts being buy as much resources in the market as you can at the start of the game when everything is still cheap.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!