New unit- Rocket Artillery.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New unit- Rocket Artillery.

So basically, i came up with this idea recently, and it is fitting because it was used by the USSR in form of Katyushas. It would need lvl 1 Industrial complex, lvl 3 infra, and it would need lvl 2 sp artillery and lvl 1 rocket to be researched. It would have the same speed as SP Artillery, more firepower but less fire/minute rate. It would be less accurate, but its massive impact zone would make the accuracy up. Obviously it cant fight directly with a unit. The Artillery would have a tiny bit more range than the SP one, but much less than Krupp K5. I would leave it to the audience to decide if it could be used as anti aircraft. Resources: 1,500 goods, 800 manpower, 2.000 iron, 500 oil and 2000 cash. Strenght vs: Unarmored: 7.0, Armored 7,0, Airplane ?, Structure 10; Defence vs: Unarmored 2,0, Armored 1,5, Airplane ? Terrain: Plain- HP:10, Speed: 60 km/h, Strength: +50. Hills- HP:10, Speed: 30 km/h, Strength: 0. Mountains- HP:10 Speed: 15km/h, Strength: -15. Urban- HP:10, Speed: 35km/h, Strenght:-50 Sea-HP:5, Speed: 25 km/h. Sorry for the long text, would like to hear your opinions! (I know i probably made a mistake somewhere...)
    • "Accuracy" and "fire per minute rate" aren't game terms... where is the difference with normal SP artillery?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • To quote a post I made previously on the rocket artillery(MRL):

iDragons wrote:

The MRL, unlike regular artillery and SP artillery, would have a small circle of effect, like planes, but much smaller. All units inside that circle would be damaged, so you can hypothetically damage more than one stack at the same time. At level 1, it would do 4 damage against infantry, 3 against armor, 3 against buildings, 0.8 against ships and 0.3 against submarines. Its' defensive stats for the various classes of units would be 3.2(infantry), 2.8(armor) and 0.6(planes). To build an MRL, it would cost 1,500 goods, 500 manpower, 1,500 steel, 500 oil and 3,000 money. It would take you a day and two hours to make one of these at a level 1 industrial complex, and require level 1 infrastructure to make. These are just hypothetical numbers that I came up with by using the SP Artillery's stats and cost as a base, as is likely not accurate.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • Yay for rocket artillery!

Allow me to get onto this train of thought with my own additions.

I think the game should make a split in the current rocket. The rocket damages unarmored units, armored units, morale AND buildings. Why not take away some of it and give it to a new rocket artillery unit?
      How do I think this should look?

Rocket
      + damage buildings (halve of now)
      + damage morale (halve of now)
      + less cost and build time (compared to now)
      - little damage to units ( lower than 2 for any unit)

Rocket artillery
      + long range (between artillery and RRG)
      + damage buildings (same as rockets)
      + damage unarmored units (between rocket and SP arty)
      = reasonable speed (around level 1 SP arty)
      - hardly any defences
      - little damage to armored units (they fire HE)
      - rare metal upkeep (secret tech)
      - slow reload (firing every 8 - 12 hours?)

I got to these specs by looking at the rocket and SP arty. By taking away from the rockets effect on units it is closer to what it historicly was. A terror weapon. Rocket artillery would have great effect on unarmored units which is also historicly accurate.
      The long reload time would be around the build time of the current rocket. A rare metal upkeep AND long reload would keep players from spamming them and destroying the enemy at range.

The RRG would also have more use, in defending against rocket arty (I personally never build those now).

The post was edited 4 times, last by Edepedable ().

• hakijaa wrote:

So basically, i came up with this idea recently, and it is fitting because it was used by the USSR in form of Katyushas. It would need lvl 1 Industrial complex, lvl 3 infra, and it would need lvl 2 sp artillery and lvl 1 rocket to be researched. It would have the same speed as SP Artillery, more firepower but less fire/minute rate. It would be less accurate, but its massive impact zone would make the accuracy up. Obviously it cant fight directly with a unit. The Artillery would have a tiny bit more range than the SP one, but much less than Krupp K5. I would leave it to the audience to decide if it could be used as anti aircraft. Resources: 1,500 goods, 800 manpower, 2.000 iron, 500 oil and 2000 cash. Strenght vs: Unarmored: 7.0, Armored 7,0, Airplane ?, Structure 10; Defence vs: Unarmored 2,0, Armored 1,5, Airplane ? Terrain: Plain- HP:10, Speed: 60 km/h, Strength: +50. Hills- HP:10, Speed: 30 km/h, Strength: 0. Mountains- HP:10 Speed: 15km/h, Strength: -15. Urban- HP:10, Speed: 35km/h, Strenght:-50 Sea-HP:5, Speed: 25 km/h. Sorry for the long text, would like to hear your opinions! (I know i probably made a mistake somewhere...)
      You mention a lot of things here, let me take some of the things you say apart so I can say something (hopefully useful) about some of the things you mention.

Katyusha's: Yes! And, not only the USSR used rocket artillery. The germans had the 'nebelwerfer', the americans put rockets on top of a tank to create the 'calilliope'. Even the japanes put rocket artillery on a truck, much like the katyusha, though they hardly used them so might not really be worth a mention.

Less acurate: Since there is no real way to put accuracy into the game I think this would just be a matter of tweaking how much damage they end up doing.

Massive impact zone: Meh, rockets don't even do this. I do not see much need for this at all. Most players keep a lot of distance between their divisions anyway. Like with different bordering provinces. A splash zone about as big as that of the rocket would suffice in my opinion.

Anti aircraft: I would say no, it can not really defend against anti-aircraft. Its increased range, being able to do damage to airfields and its speed would have to suffice. If it could also tackle aircraft it would not need any support and players would just be able to destroy their opponents with rocket arty. It would need support in AA (probably players would use SP AA) and perhaps even interceptors overhead if you do not want to lose them. Same reason RRG need this support. Superior range needs a counter.

Damage output: Doing both 7 to unarmored and armored seems a little weird to me. I think this number can be way higher for unarmored units if this unit has a SLOW reload. I do think that damage to armored units should be reduced though. Doing both would make them OP. It would also mean that rocket artillery would be a good counter against arty, but not so much SP arty. Meaning there would be ways to counter them. I'd say just look at the rocket at level 2 for damage, they do 22 to both unarmored and armored and no one (besides me) thinks they are that overpowered. As for doing 10 to buildings I think it should again do around what the rocket does now. Buildings can be repaired in a way units can not be and the spread of damage and the x factor even makes rockets useless against buildings as it is now at times. More units being able to damage buildings would make for a more interesting meta I think.

Stats and specs: I think the speed you have somewhere is a bit high (60 kmh on plains, wow!). They should be around as fast as SP arty level 1 or motorized infantry. Also their HP would be better at 5 then at 10. It would make them depend more on support and not make them OP.

But on the whole I think your idea is pretty good. I'm happy to see that this subject lives among more CoW fanatics other than myself.
    • This artillery has to be rocket one already, it`s range is 60-80 km. I served in arty, range is about 4 km... I guess they made arty with this range to be easier to use, I cannot imagine how would we use arty with smaller range.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • iDragons wrote:

To quote a post I made previously on the rocket artillery(MRL):

iDragons wrote:

The MRL, unlike regular artillery and SP artillery, would have a small circle of effect, like planes, but much smaller. All units inside that circle would be damaged, so you can hypothetically damage more than one stack at the same time. At level 1, it would do 4 damage against infantry, 3 against armor, 3 against buildings, 0.8 against ships and 0.3 against submarines. Its' defensive stats for the various classes of units would be 3.2(infantry), 2.8(armor) and 0.6(planes). To build an MRL, it would cost 1,500 goods, 500 manpower, 1,500 steel, 500 oil and 3,000 money. It would take you a day and two hours to make one of these at a level 1 industrial complex, and require level 1 infrastructure to make. These are just hypothetical numbers that I came up with by using the SP Artillery's stats and cost as a base, as is likely not accurate.

I want to respond to a lot of things, so I will mention to what I respon to wherever I think it to be needed.

Area damage: I see no point in this. When are a lot of divisions close to each other anyway? Besides, what about damage spread? Would it not only be easier to defend against them if they do area damage?

Damage output: Like I said in my response to hakijaa, those numbers should be way higher. If they indeed have a slow reload and it takes this damage away from the rocket there is no reason why they can not have high initial damage numbers. Though the difference between armored and unarmored would be needed to make them balanced I think.
      Defending against aircraft should indeed be minimal, why not 0.6 indeed. They ALSO need high damage against buildings, would make them another nice nice unit for attacking fortifications without units in them. I think that could be really cool.

Cost: I think this is hard, I have not come up with anything that I could say of that would make it balanced. Though I do think they NEED a rare metal upkeep. However this is very much because I take into account that they would take away from the current level 2 rocket. Since the level 2 rocket costs rare metals to build I think it would make sense if the rocket arty costs daily rares to keep on being able to fire. This would also make them balanced. No sense in building 20 rocket artillery if that means you can no longer do any upgrades.

But still, yay rocket artillery!