New Unit Idea Anti-Naval Gun Emplacements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Unit Idea Anti-Naval Gun Emplacements

These would be non-mobile emplacements of large anti-naval guns with fortifications (or alternately maybe the player needs to build the fortifications separately). Should have ability to hit land units in range but the primary purpose is to target naval convoys. Should have longer range that mobile field artillery and greater damage.

Besides being historical, this is needed in-game because the existing field artillery is not effective against naval targets.

And, these units could be built inland to form a sort of Maginot Line.

Reference:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_artillery

• I agree, but there's a problem:
      This kind of thing loses all purpose on land because of artillery. While I agree that the Navy needs a ground repellent in the form of shore guns, I also don't necessarily see them having any use on ground battles. I also don't see the reason for immobility, as they could be moved. Maybe just make them Militia speed?
    • Railroad guns to have a longer range than any ship, so they are safe from naval bombardment. These are your coastal artillery, and also they are multipurpose rather than specialized simply against ships.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Maybe naval bases can have these automaticly from level 2 and onwards?

Level 2 naval bases could have a level 2 artillery in it that wouls ONLY shoot naval targets in range.
      Level 3 naval bases could have 2 of these naval artillery pieces in them automaticly.

I mean as they are they are pretty expensive buildings without all that much to show for them.
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Railroad guns to have a longer range than any ship, so they are safe from naval bombardment. These are your coastal artillery, and also they are multipurpose rather than specialized simply against ships.
      Exactly. There are enough under-used units as it is (the railroad gun comes to mind...),so no need to dilute the units tree even more just to make space for new units with one, extremely specific purpose - and which would be virtually useless the rest of the game -.

Also, and I know this is a crazy concept, but I tend to consider that the pertinent defense against ships is simply other ships. You can mass-produce submarines, which are very effective against anything bigger than a destroyer, are researchable early and have one of the lowest production cost in the entire game.
      That's all you need, really. If you feel a tad eccentric you can go for naval bombers, which are much more useful than any artillery gun would ever be as, being planes, they travel very quickly and can thus get to a coastline that needs defending in a couple of hours.