Being Attacked while you are sleeping

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Being Attacked while you are sleeping

why dont the units go into defensive mode when you are sleeping? in real life an army is on alert 24/7 and if they are attacked while they are sleeping they dont decide they will deal with it when they wake up, its automatic that they attack whoever invaded them
    • They are in defensive mode. they will not attack, they will defend but wont go to counter attack.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • Well this is a game first and foremost. There is only so much realism that can be added. Additionally, in most cases troops defending as actually better than attacking so in a sense when they defend they are making the best decision.
      Torpedo28000
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Bones31271 wrote:

ok that is what I mean, in real life they would attack and they should attack in the game
      I seriously doubt if a soldier, waken by an enemy attack, would go on the counter-attack immediatly; instead he would defend and try to figure out what the h*ck was going on.

And in the game, counter-attacking would be most unwanted. Speaking for myself, I mercilessly exploit the AI's tendency to counter-attack when getting a little incoming artillery.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • There are times when I get surprised by an attack, although I prefer to be the one initiating the surprise attack.

If I am concerned about an attack I tend to group my units in a location that benefits them instead of the enemy. I don't leave my units in groups of two all along the border, but instead in a big "doom stack" that will be hard to kill. If the enemy has rockets I keep my doom stack moving. I send my planes as far back as I can so they are out of harms way.

I don't care if an enemy takes some provinces while I am sleeping. I take precautions to preserve the bulk of my military strength and be ready to counter attack on my own terms, not the terms that someone else dictates. I first target their units, and then worry about capturing provinces.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Bones31271 wrote:

ok that is what I mean, in real life they would attack and they should attack in the game
      This statement is very, very, incorrect. History from ancient to modern times overflows with examples of troops remaining entrenched and not seizing the initiative just because they were not given the order to do so. Countless opportunities to crush the enemy lost while troops remain immobile due to lack of orders from time imemorial to today.
    • Islandboy wrote:

well I woke up the other morning to discover an inactive player had taken 6 of my cities and half of my army after I went defensive. explain that... very disappointed
      Well, that hardly sounds like an "inactive player"!

But yeah, sleeping and being offline in general is a part of the game, and you have to deal with that in some way... Vorlon's post above provided some useful pointers on "How to".
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Islandboy wrote:

an inactive player had taken 6 of my cities and half of my army after I went defensive
      Inactive means that the AI is in control of that country now.

AI respond instantly and effectively. The AI exploits any weakness that you have, such as an opening to vacant provinces.

If the AI has a larger army than you, it is unwise to provoke it before going to bed.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• Funny thing is that some players have problems with AI. I entered some 10 player map where Italy player attacked Switzerland and had fight for more than two weeks and he did not manage to concur. it was hard to watch but funny. But the gold medal goes to player on 100 players map who wrote in news that Communist China cheated and used gold while Communist china has been inactive :)

I feel it is big problem to save your land and units while you are AFK. Priority is army, so making one big stack and moving away is good solution. But what about start of a game ? First several days are critical when someone can take your core provinces and at least ruin your factories?

COW gave me more sleepless nights than my children. I hate when I check map before going to bed and see someone invading my land. if you want to be good at this game. you need to be like Polish and Russian players who are online 24/7 ;)
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • Bones31271 wrote:

in real life there are military officials ready to go to war 24/7 so they wouldnt be "woken up" now the ones that are sleeping yes they would be woken up but there would already be military personnel counter attacking, and yes I exploit the AIs too
      In the game units will make damage to attacker while he is attacking province they are located in. They are awake. Attacker will concur empty provinces without resistance. But troops will not move from position they were stationed before you went to sleep. They will defend only provinces they are in and they need to bee in their center, or player who attacks can go around them and take province without fight. Also on the core provinces armies have 15% protect bonus.

Attacker will search for best solution how to exploit fact you are not online and he will attack units that are not well defended first. The reason why you are defeated is that in most cases attacker will use enough troops to win. He will see how much troops defends province and make plan how to eliminate it.
    • patriota75 wrote:

wrote in news that Communist China cheated and used gold while Communist china has been inactive
      There have been unconfirmed rumors that each AI has an allotment of gold to use. :D

VorlonFCW

• “He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.” – Sun Tzu
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run