New Event - 1944: Endgame

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VorlonFCW wrote:

Antigonos wrote:

A German Group is unable to defend another German's Group capital against an enemy .
      The capital is falling whatever be the allied forces inside.
      This is a standard game mechanic. Your forces may not hold allied provinces. The enemy will always capture the province point first and not engage the third parties forces that are there.
      At that point both armies will be sitting motionless in the province waiting for the other to make the first move. This is a game of "flinch" meaning that whichever army moves first will attack the other.
      Dear Mr. Vorlon,

In reply to your statement that "this is a standard game mechanic", I don't understand how that can be. This map is based on the team game mechanic, in a sense, or so I thought. And I thought in a team game that your ally can't lose their province (be it a capital or just a normal one) to an opponent if your own forces guard it in place of his own forces.

That's supposed to be the job of an ally, to protect against all aggression, so that your forces do act like a team. If that is not true in this game, then you should be allowed to capture your ally's province for yourself rather than simply letting your mutual enemy take it right under your powerful army's nose and without a fight, even.

Sincerely,
      JD

PS: I also have a few things to say about this map in general. Please take note of my sincerity in dealing with the uncomfortable subject to be found within.

This map is nice but so imbalanced. I'm in a match as UK with active allies. Yugoslavian Germany is inactive but the other two Germanies are active. Only one Soviet is active. Anyway, the other two active Germanies are kicking butt and taking names. I'm all but beaten in North France, so too is the Americans. What little that France started with is trying to survive but the game is all but lost. The East Germany is taking over all of the Soviets and also kicking us in the crotch in Italy even though the Yugoslavian Germany is inactive. The West Germany used Gold to buy a bunch of submarines and took out one of my Battleships so I can't even bombard the German army in Netherlands.

I know Gold is allowed, and I know it sucks when other players go inactive, but such is life. But my team is all active and yet we're getting totally trounced by just two players who are also taking out the three Soviets. And the Soviets have one active player also. I don't understand why they'd make the three big stacks of Germany in east and west so ridiculously big and inside a strong fort, too. It is impossible to beat. Yet, it is only day 4 and the Germans have nearly won the match already, taking most of Europe like lightning.

I think the German people at Bytro might have made this map so that their heritage of losing can be seen as not fair, as if Germany was much stronger than they were at this point in the war, and just to relive the glory of Germany's past instead of the shame of Germany's past. But Germany was losing badly on all sides and they were running out of resources, manpower, and allies. There's just no justification for this revisionist history purported to be a "balanced" map.

In fact, this map is not balanced. In fact it is imbalanced in favor of Germany whereas the true history would have it be imbalanced in favor of the Allies and the Soviet Allies. The lack of playable balance is unsettling, but the total revisionist view of the war at this stage is completely vomit-worthy. This map wouldn't be garbage if they admitted it was a "what-if" map, like the Clash of Nations map. But they pretend that it accurately reflects the true history of the war at that point in time and it does not. That is why I deem it "vomit-worthy".

Now, this map seemed like a nice idea, and perhaps a good fight. But my experience tells me that it is a terrible map, not worth playing, because of the lies. If they fix the balance, fix the resources to match what each nation realistically had (both available and rates of income), and fix the terrible terrible lack of research (which should also be balanced to each nation correctly), or, at the very least, admit it is not a historically accurate map, then, and only then, would I ever consider playing this map again.
    • Devious Rancor wrote:

And I thought in a team game that your ally can't lose their province (be it a capital or just a normal one) to an opponent if your own forces guard it in place of his own forces.
      This is not correct. Your ally will need at least one unit at the province center along with yours to "hold down the fort" so to speak. If your ally abandons his post your troops simply stand there and wait for the enemy to roll in and set up housekeeping in the province.

You are able to park your forces on a road at least 5 km outside of the city center and you will properly engage the enemy.

Devious Rancor wrote:

If that is not true in this game, then you should be allowed to capture your ally's province for yourself rather than simply letting your mutual enemy take it right under your powerful army's nose and without a fight, even.
      Certainly the vacant province center is up for grabs to the first person to attack it. If you wish to seize the province then you are free to do so with a simple declaration of war.

If you wish to suggest a change to a standard game mechanic then you are free to do so in the suggestions section. I am simply explaining the game mechanics here.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Thanks for all the feedback, guys! :)

We will make sure that the next time we run this event you will have some researches unlocked already, sorry for this oversight.

Regarding team balance: The Axis are made purposely stronger, because effectively this map is a 3vs6 match in the beginning, and we assume full activity on all sides. We cannot give Axis their actual historical strength because it would be over for team Axis before the game even begun. This is not to be revisionist but to ensure a balanced and fun event for all sides. We won't balance this map for inactive teams, sorry. Maybe in the future we have better mechanics in place to increase activity in games or prevent leaving early.
    • I only played one of these events, but for me it seemed to drag along, of course having some research completed already would help the pace.

Question for others that may have been in a faster paced game: Would a speed factor such as 2x speed work well here? or is the small size of the map going to make that too overpowering for an active enemy?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• About this map generally.

On the western front:
      - US and France have SP artillery with 70 km range from the beginning. West Germany has no artillery (East Germany should lend at least two to survive). Germany needs about 36 hours till get the first artillery and two more days till get the 70 km range. So german fortresess can be attacked from distance, without any real risk of loosing any units. Front attack from German side is a suicide.
      - GB has naval superioirity at the beginning. And with more city at seaside this superiority will lead that GB with little help of the US and France, that Oslo, Amsterdam and Hamburg is destroyed, without any difficulties. Pls note that West germany shall research submarines, to try to avoide this scenario, but than no room to research infantry....
      - West Germany has iron provinces in Norway, without naval superiority those provinces are unlikly to be hold.

On south front
      - Again no artillery of germany
      - Limited nr of units, many militia ( almost useless against armored class US has many armored class units
      - missing fortresses, long front about 11 province
      - again no naval units, ok 2 destroyers and one sub at Adria, but no chance...
      So south germany collapse in 3-4 days, but this part has the biggest iron pproduction.
      After fall of south germany remaing two german player should hold the south front us well, but pls note that iron production is down...

On eastern (have the least info)
      - Germany has some nice artillery (should lend some to others to keep them in much).
      - not a long front only 5 province
      - very nice air force
      This fraction the only one which can do some offensive action, but not easy vs three players. And for sure in case of east offensive make sure that other two German player loose its territory, which makes end even for eastern part aswell.

To play this map players should be very cooperative, because of ressource allocation and research tree as well! Unfortunately it is very rare in common games, moreover one inactive player may kill the other two as well!
    • Played on 3 maps, i'm now the most active player on each map. This turned to become player vs ai. My allies on each map doesn't do much, as Soviet both are inactive, as Axis both just move stuff around, on Allies both doesn't talk and only UK move their army uncoordinated with me. In the map as Soviet, Army Group Centre surrendered despite crushing all my armies, my guerrilla campaign took their capital away leaving me the dominant force. In the map as Axis, all enemies went inactive and the map as Western Allies, Army Group Centre crushed Bellorussian and Baltic Front's army (and their own) Ukraine stayed neutral and i defeated Army Group South and West (with little help of UK)
    • Again this is a game to join with friends, or enemies, much like the 50v50 team up event.

With the rapid pace that they filled up it was difficult to get friends on the same team however. There were several where we did get 2 people from my alliance into one game together, and a few where the game filled up before a second or third person could join, but i somewhat expected that. Event games fill up fast.

VorlonFCW

• szinisa wrote:

- US and France have SP artillery with 70 km range from the beginning. West Germany has no artillery (East Germany should lend at least two to survive). Germany needs about 36 hours till get the first artillery and two more days till get the 70 km range. So german fortresess can be attacked from distance, without any real risk of loosing any units. Front attack from German side is a suicide.
      Artillery really does NOT matter at ALL. France and USA have a combined total of zero fortresses. If there's an artillery bombarding you, just rush it with your 69420 units. They try to defend their artillery with stuff? You have WAY more. France starts off with 25 units, which is less than the amount of units that West Germany has in the province of Aachen ALONE. In fact, Germany has more troops just in the provinces of Rotterdam and Aachen alone than France and the US combined. And keep in mind, there are THREE Germanys. Not one. Three. In my game, Central Germany was able to obliterate Ukraine and Byelorussia by himself at the same time. That's how horribly imbalanced this game is.

You can only get a sense of how terribly balanced the game is if you play as a Soviet or an Ally. Baltic Front has a total of 9 units in the Baltic region bordering Germany. Nine. In my game, the UK and I(France) were able to wipe West Germany after we saved up a huge amount of level 4 rockets, and guess what? Central Germany rushed us with around 80 units. South Germany is inactive. The UK and I were making rockets and troops at the same time, and we probably doubled our army size by the time Cen. Germany attacked, at around day 10. Still did no good. We lost a ton of our gains in Germany and I lost Nancy. We got a kill ratio of 1:2, but even after UK and I killed around 30 or so units with 10 strategically placed units in bunkers, he still kept throwing stuff at us. Absolute nightmare. Please balance.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel

The post was edited 1 time, last by iDragons: am correcting my spelling mistakes and adding new facts, don't mind the edits uwu ().

• i hope this map will be available soon for us and we can do an internal game on that! Till that time we can fight only in theory:

1. There is a 24 hours peace period, so France, US, GB can build lvl1 fortresses on the border. It gives with the home defense around 53% defense. Moreover most units has lower attacking value, than defending value.Germany has many units, but many of it AA units, around 20 pcs, which has 10 HP, and 1 attacking value, some militia, practically useless in attack. So a front attack from Germany will result in bloody loss. Germany had to have at least three times bigger army, than western allies to have the chance to get through! I think this is not the case on the western part. So Germany has on western the chance to wait for artillery till that time they are bombarded from distance.

2. On east i am not sure, but they may can hold the line against central germany.

3. On south front Germany can hold the lines only with massive support from other two Germanies.

4. GB has naval superiority and with that Norway will be lost and iron supply of west Germany is disappered. Moreover antwerpen or Hamburg is bombarded from day 3.

5. Or even Baltic front can run through Norway!

Germany's chance that Western allies and soveits starts war against each other in the first days. It can happen in Norway, but more likely on the balkans.

But for sure to be successfull you have too cooperate with your teammates, without that it is very difficult! And this was the biggest problem, because of many inactive players this map lost the funfactor.
    • So in summary:
      we do not know how many games were generated.

It sounds like that NO games were played with all 9 active players.

It also sounds like Germany was basically victorious if it had 2 active players regardless of the other sides.

It also sounds like the Soviets were destroyed across all games.

It also appears that no one at the company is going to change the design.
    • EZ Dolittle wrote:

So in summary:

It also sounds like Germany was basically victorious if it had 2 active players regardless of the other sides.

basically yes
    • Same here, I am in a game with Byzantine and I am the Baltic and he is the Ukrainian Front. First off, the Ukraines start off with like 700+ oil! Second, compared to the amount of troops USSR had in ww2 and now in this game is not CLOSE to right. Stalin had millions of men to throw at battle yet I, the Baltic front, start off with 9 units. PLUS, Centre Germany attacks us from the start of the game. So now, We have to defend each other and now Belorussia got destroyed and went inactive. Currently, UK has now taken over all of Germany when us Soviets were still trying to get out of the mess we got into. Now Byz and I are in full defense mode and wee have practically nothing top do except wait before UK's attacks us. Luckily, Byz has gold and he just reveals all his armies so we can see what he is doing :)
    • iDragons wrote:

France starts off with 25 units, which is less than the amount of units that West Germany has in the province of Aachen ALONE
      I did notice this, while UK has a lot of units, cities, and economy.

While I appreciate the historical look and province selection, I think that France could have more provinces, buildings, and armies to start with. The UK could give up some. Just have to make sure that UK can get planes to the front lines to start with. In my game France didn't do much, but I figure that if I was France and UK didn't do much it would have been a real challenge. The US could have some provinces in Africa instead of in the middle of France.

Along that same line I think that all 3 teams should be balanced equally between them in units, economy, and production capacity. This way if the one strong player from a team is not very active it doesn't cripple the entire team. Again no offense to the historical balance of forces, but spreading the units equally around for better teamwork would suit the gameplay better.

VorlonFCW

• Victory conditions (90% of map) are way too tough on this event. Playing as the Soviets we already won the game (unofficicaly) over a week ago, and we've since been busy conquering places like UK, Scandinavia, Spain, and North Africa. STILL this is not enough. Only Turkey and the Middle East are left now. It is just tedious "work" to have to take out so many inactives after the game REALLY was over a long time ago.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • EZ Dolittle wrote:

So in summary:

We never published internal information like that in the past and also won't do in the future, but of course we are evaluating events. We already made some changes to the event which were even communicated in this thread before your post (starting researches).

In this thread we heard balancing opinions going in opposite directions, from a handfull of users. So even if we only go by this thread (which we shouldnt, as it only resembles a very small portion of the playerbase) there is no basis that suggests that all event games were won by Axis.

Still we will discuss the balancing concerns and make adjustments if necessary. We may even discuss putting the event on hiatus until the activity concerns can be alleviated somehow.

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Victory conditions (90% of map) are way too tough on this event. Playing as the Soviets we already won the game (unofficicaly) over a week ago, and we've since been busy conquering places like UK, Scandinavia, Spain, and North Africa. STILL this is not enough. Only Turkey and the Middle East are left now. It is just tedious "work" to have to take out so many inactives after the game REALLY was over a long time ago.
      True, requirements will be lowered.
    • haidang2014 wrote:

Now, only me on the map, to complete the game is a huge amount of work. Daily I go in just to build a nuclear plant or anything in all provinces to get the level up.

send Admin
      ID 2681809. Does anyone help me finish it 1 with 1 command
      Okay okay okay, one- you cannot "level up" provinces. You can not, have not been able to, nor will ever be able to improve the amount of victory points a province gets, if that is what you are trying to do. Two, if you go into the newspaper you should see a very convenient button called "Retire", which ends the game. Three, are you not conquering anything?? That just might be why your map is taking forever. Four, never in a million years would an admin "end" your game, because YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF. JUST PRESS THE RETIRE BUTTON IN THE NEWSPAPER. CAN'T SEE IT? SCROLL DOWN.