Ukraine flag?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ukraine flag?

By now, most COW players will have noticed that the flag for Ukraine nation shall bear the Soviet banner.

The questions I put forward.

Does the current flag of Ukraine on a COW map need to be changed?

How might historical accuracy suggest the Ukraine flag during such time period?

Things to consider.

Soviet Ukraine had a large standind army, especially from 1943 onwards.

Many Ukrainians were loyal to western EU allies, thwir people were affluent across central EU, for example. Austro-Dalmatia, Austro-Russians inclusive.

What are your thoughts to such history? How might we encounter the Ukraine situation in future strategy gaming.

Thanks. Meeehhhhh.
    • It should be obvious, but you are right. Soviet banner (the flag of communist administration in Ukraine) hasn`t got anything to do with this country. Especially on alternative 100 players map, where most of the countries have their national emblem. Same goes here. Moreover, during WWII several Ukrainian states and organisations appeared and they were fighting both against Commies and against Nazis.

So, the best way not to offend anybody and to make the things logical would be to use Ukrainian flag.
      Images
      • flag.jpg

124.02 kB, 985×1,200, viewed 622 times
      • w0dhrf4ip0b51.png

783.17 kB, 1,920×1,080, viewed 2,583 times
      • a3bc604643608bfe764769a5cfb5d272.jpg

81.03 kB, 1,200×375, viewed 323 times
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-04 о 10.42.43.png

83.57 kB, 1,534×410, viewed 1,041 times
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-04 о 10.44.49.png

113.33 kB, 1,634×824, viewed 197 times
      • flyk4i5jaz031.jpg

322.07 kB, 900×454, viewed 245 times
    • Also, as "Clash of nations" has a correct Ukrainian flag, why can`t "World at war" have the same?
      Just look: both maps are quite similar. The maps are divided into lots of nations, that have their local flag. This logic is followed in "Clash of nations", but "World at War" is literally the same idea embodied on a bigger server! Also, Soviet-typed flags look really similar, and there are a lot of them, which makes the game more confusing. Belorussia, Ukraine, Central Russia, and Kazakhstan have nearly the same flags that they could be easily confused. Moreover, the small size of flags used in-game (small pictograms are used) makes it hard to check small details. It`s hardly even possible to see whether it`s written "БССР" (Belorussian SSR) or " УРСР" (Ukrainian SSR) on the same-colored red banner.
      Making the flag national would make it easily determined. Everyone knows the Ukrainian flag. It stands apart from the same-looking Soviet symbols. Ukrainian national flag instead of communist one would stop the speculations once and for all.
      If the Ukrainian flag possible on one map, why it isn`t on the same kind.
      Images
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-07 о 17.57.05.png

926.96 kB, 1,142×612, viewed 391 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serhii_Shevchenko ().

• Some similar commie flags in one region. There are way TOO many of them. Why couldn`t administration just change one texture, so the game will become better?
      Images
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-07 о 18.13.51.png

71.77 kB, 670×84, viewed 169 times
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-07 о 18.13.08.png

51.74 kB, 546×86, viewed 145 times
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-07 о 18.13.01.png

67.8 kB, 426×166, viewed 191 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serhii_Shevchenko ().

• I reckon they can just have different coluor Hammer and Sickles, also i think a soviet flag is better after all Ukraine was in the Soviet Union no matter who wanted what. Also my question is why is Communist China flag the soviet flag? make it the modern one the old one was similar.
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • GrandEmpire wrote:

soviet flag is better after all Ukraine was in the Soviet Union no matter who wanted what
      So what? Why Georgia, Caucasus and Siberia have their national flags (despite being parts of USSR), but not using their soviet symbols? What`s the difference between Georgia and Ukraine?
      Images
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-08 о 14.12.55.png

28.81 kB, 292×74, viewed 128 times
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-08 о 14.12.46.png

29.71 kB, 280×68, viewed 673 times
      • Знімок екрана 2020-12-08 о 14.12.31.png

31.48 kB, 290×82, viewed 156 times
    • GrandEmpire wrote:

I reckon they can just have different coluor Hammer and Sickles, also i think a soviet flag is better after all Ukraine was in the Soviet Union no matter who wanted what. Also my question is why is Communist China flag the soviet flag? make it the modern one the old one was similar.
      What`s wrong with "Clash of nations" than? Why did mods decide to put a normal flag in clash of nations in this case?
      Both game scenarios are non-historical. They play an alternative history (where, as you can se, USSR doesn`t exist). What`s the reason to use a non-valid symbol?
    • Yeah i guess youre right but then again this IS WWII 1942... whats wierd is that despite the name of the game it doesnt have a 1942 map
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • GrandEmpire wrote:

Yeah i guess youre right but then again this IS WWII 1942... whats wierd is that despite the name of the game it doesnt have a 1942 map
      I`m asking you the same question once again: if a balanced map "clash of nations" has several independent nations instead of the USSR, why should "world at war", despite it follows the same principle of being balanced, has a different symbolics?
      It doesn't make any sense! If USSR doesn`t exist on the map, why should "soviet republics", made by USSR, have the same flags? If the Soviet Union doesn`t exist -> neither should "Soviet republics". It means, that Ukraine should have a national flag instead of the flag of the state, which doesn`t exist in the scenario. Not only it doesn`t add up, but also makes a mess of red similar red flags in the region.

Also, if the texture of the flag has already been fully used in the game (look at the "clash of nations" scenario), then it shouldn`t be hard to apply the sam policy over "World at war".
    • Some reference information about the usage of the blue-yellow flag during 1939-1945:
      The red and black flag became popular among young people, particularly in the Plast scouting organization back in the 1920s when the Polish authorities in Galicia persecuted the use of the national blue and yellow flag by Ukrainians (for example, football players of the sports society “Ukraine” played in red and black wear. However, the Soviet-German war began, and the black and red symbols remained informal.

The text on the postcard: For an independent and sovereign state of Ukraine.

From March 15 to late May 1939, the Carpathian Ukraine state emerged and fought for independence under a blue and yellow flag. The country was fighting against Hungarian troops, which were allies of Hitler's regime.

Ukrainian manifestation in Hust. 22 January, 1939
      The usage and even possession of a blue and yellow flag were considered a crime and was punished severely in the Soviet Union. The KGB reports for 1950s-1980s regularly mentioned hoisting the flag in the populated localities across Ukraine. Meaning the flag was used nation-wide.
      On the night of May 1, 1966, 26-year-old Viktor Kuksa and 28-year-old Heorhiy Moskalenko raised a blue and yellow flag over the building of the Kyiv Institute of National Economy (now the Kyiv National Economic University). They ripped off the Soviet red flag and hoisted the national Ukrainian flag instead. The flag sewn from two scarves had a handwritten inscription on it "Ukraine has not yet died - it has not been killed yet". The two men were sentenced to imprisonment. Many years later, they could not achieve rehabilitation even in the already independent Ukraine for a long time.

The text on the flag: "Ukraine has not yet died"
    • Alright alright i dont own the Soviet Union or Bytro. but u shouldnt care too much it has little effect in the game.

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • Yes yes but again i dont own Bytro and this is 2020 not the days of Stalin you shouldnt take offense so easily. However if i DID own bytro i would change it

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength