Tactic of using defunct allies as patsies in your war

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tactic of using defunct allies as patsies in your war

So, I am in a rough battle right now, and will probably lose. I was trying to use a tactic, but then realized that the way the game is set up it won't work.

So, if this sounds like a cheat or dumb then shoot me down.

Here is the set up.

I had allies early in the game, but for whatever reason they quit. So, i still right of way with them.

I have an enemy coming form my north. To my east i have to now AI allies with right of way. So, i travel to my east to hide my troops in their cities with their troops.

The idea being as the enemy to the north follows to bomb me in these cities.

Now when this happens and the bombers go on patrol over the city only my troops get hurt. Now i see how this is a game rule, but in reality it makes no sense that if someone tried to bomb me in someone else's city with their troops that this wouldn't activate this AI to go to battle with this enemy to.

The idea is to force the enemy to have to now engage the NPC's along with me too.

It's a way of using old diplomatic ties with countries now defunct to your advantage. I mean diplomatic ties should still count even if someone quits the game.
    • There have been several variations of air patrol over AI rules in the past, and the current method is the best one I think.

There was a period that bombers would cause damage to the AI, but war would not be declared.

There was a period where you could declare war, patrol and destroy units, then set your relation back to peace. This would confuse some people as their units would be missing and they were not at war.

There was a period when simply establishing a patrol over the AI or anyone would declare war, and they would declare war back. This was very unpopular as you couldn't use planes for spying.

So the current rules of patrol that only damage enemies that war has been declared upon are used, and I think that is best.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • I have a related issue. Not quite the same but am curious about ways around this. Some enemy units were traveling though a country that I had right of way with. It was an AI country. I wanted to attack the enemy before they got on my doorstep so I used a rocket attack. I did get warned that the attack "MAY" cause a war. The AI country declared war on me even though I only attacked enemy troops. So I am wondering since the warning I received used the word may, would there have been chance the AI would not go to war, or does the AI go to war regardless. And if I had used an airplanes, would that have been a better option than a rocket attack? Seems I should have a right to attack enemy troops on a friendly nations territory with options other than something that kicks off a war with that friendly nation.

Thanks for any insight.
    • Rockets will always cause war because of the damage they do to the province.

The exception to that is if you are in a coalition with the country where your rockets land, because war is not possible between coalition members.

The warning is a standard caution and while it can warn you of some dangers the warning is not foolproof. The warning also does not always take coalition membership into account, which is why the "may" part of the warning is there. You also could have two potential targets, if you are rocketing the units of one country on the land of another, there will not be a warning for each potential war caused.

joebkrieg wrote:

And if I had used an airplanes, would that have been a better option than a rocket attack?
      Yes, as described in the posts above you can patrol over AI nations that you have right of way, or even peace with, without causing a war.

Direct attacks with planes still have a slight chance of causing a war outside of a coalition.

Artillery or naval bombardment does not cause a war with the "third party" AI, neither does a close combat melee attack.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<