Stealth Commandos

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stealth Commandos

So I was thinking since commandos are an elite unit they should be concealed from enemy view until until the enemy comes within a certain range of them. Im not saying they should be completely invisible to all units like subs but they should have some ability to be used stealthily for intel and to create ambushes, since in real life elite units try to remain concealed as much as possible and are infact used for intel purposes sabotage ambush and hit and run activities. theyre not really meant for frontline duties even though theyre entirely capable of it.
    • Commandos are already SUPER FREAKING OVERPOWERED. This would completely ruin the fragile balance of the game.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • I agree! I think they should be hidden from at least airplanes. Since they were small units and airplanes are used for spying a lot anyway.

Maybe Airplanes should not be able to see units unless there are more than 3 in a single division? And questionmark shadows if there are more than a certain number in a small area.

Ill make a suggestion of it!
    • iDragons wrote:

Commandos are already SUPER FREAKING OVERPOWERED. This would completely ruin the fragile balance of the game.
      I have a dark brown feeling that commando's will be severely nerfed (as frontline troops) in the next balancing update.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • _-OutKast-_ wrote:

So I was thinking since commandos are an elite unit they should be concealed from enemy view until until the enemy comes within a certain range of them. Im not saying they should be completely invisible to all units like subs but they should have some ability to be used stealthily for intel and to create ambushes, since in real life elite units try to remain concealed as much as possible and are infact used for intel purposes sabotage ambush and hit and run activities. theyre not really meant for frontline duties even though theyre entirely capable of it.

So basically, what your saying is make the espionage a real movable playable unit,

I have consider making a spy unit to move on the map type(s).

Prerequisites - Capital, Barracks level 2, airbase lvl 2,

These units should be able to paratroop also. Once used for their sabotage mission they are consumed.

These spy units should be able to sabotage health (hit points) of military units and also be able to steal technology from core provinces.
      Images
      • trhrthrth.jpg

84.48 kB, 625×571, viewed 24 times
    • Clear is that supernatural strength of commandos as frontline unit should be reduced very much. Especially because games now take longer since the AI also builds units: Their low upkeep costs now make them the ultimate ground melee battle unit. They're a plague now. On my last 50p map I had 70 of them on day 50.

And yes, it would be good if they get a stealth ability instead.
      Ideally (but certainly not easy to implement):
      * Make them completely invisible unless they touch a land or sea unit of the enemy or attack a province center.
      * Take away their ability to conquer provinces. Instead they can use the attack command on province centers and damage the buildings in there when they reach it.
      * Reduce their HP to 10 (commandos were small groups and are not imaginable with battalion headcount).
      * Reduce damage they do to land units by about 40%.
      * Reduce their bonus in mountains to +25%.
      * Increase damage they do to buildings to about 15 (difficult to estimate that).
      * Ideally whenever they cross a province center of the enemy, the enemy should get a greyed out reconnaissance icon from them there (as you can get it from spies).
      * And bigboss_ironfist is right it would be perfect if they could also paratroop.

That way they would be like real commandos. But since that for sure is too difficult to implement, better rename them to "Elite", so they represent units like US Marines or German Waffen SS. Move them to the infantry tech tree and adapt their graphical representation. Also take away their mountain bonus, reduce their HP to 15 and take away their rare materials costs in return.
    • Let me put it this way: If the capital requirement wasn't there, I don't think I would build any other ground troops. ANY. That's how OP they are.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Their ability to attack is what makes them best...a must have for East Yakutia....start barracks and research asap and pit them on the east side mountains, especially on the Pacific campaign round.

I am currently fighting a north USA coalition on a Pacific map round. Yes, I am East Yakutia and have used their attack advantage to repel tank after tank and let that be said. Its working....combined with missiles and the occasional medium tank.
      Images
      • hjyntrfjhrthr.jpg

7.05 kB, 300×168, viewed 25 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by bigboss_ironfist ().

• Thing is even if they were "only" as useful as a unit like medium tank (as Edepedable says), that still wouldn't be a good game design. From gameplay perspective yes. But absolutely nottt when having in mind that this is not supposed to be a fantasy game. The occasions that Commandos were used at the front in real WW2 were entirely neglectable. While medium tanks (to stick to the example) had a decisive role.
      If you can content yourself with the thought of a group of Commandos defeating an entire armoured division in an open field battle, then why not also introduce Chuck Norris as a front line unit, hm?
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

Thing is even if they were "only" as useful as a unit like medium tank (as Edepedable says), that still wouldn't be a good game design. From gameplay perspective yes. But absolutely nottt when having in mind that this is not supposed to be a fantasy game. The occasions that Commandos were used at the front in real WW2 were entirely neglectable. While medium tanks (to stick to the example) had a decisive role.
      If you can content yourself with the thought of a group of Commandos defeating an entire armoured division in an open field battle, then why not also introduce Chuck Norris as a front line unit, hm?

Why not introduce KFC stores for frontline troops, and Table tennis tournaments, Bruce Lee style.
      Images
      • fgdfgfger.jpg

66.91 kB, 600×340, viewed 18 times
      • dfvfdvdfv.jpg

10.48 kB, 480×360, viewed 26 times
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

Not to mention commandos literally EVAPORATE in the face of a few tactical bombers. Chuck Norris, too, would evaporate when he's being bombed to high noon.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • Had some more thought about this, perhaps the commando could do with a little tweaking if they indeed get a stealth ability. Think it would be cool to have more units do unique things.

IF they are to get a stealth ability, be it from planes or within a certain range of land units they could do a couple of things.
      1) Perhaps their HP should be lowered to 20 OR
      2) they're power should drop from 10 to 8 vs infantry on the attack and from 8 to 6 on the defense. Versing armor their attack should go from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 on the defense. But certainly not any lower than that.
      3) make commandos go through a level up.

I dont think adding stealth to commando's would make commandos to OP. However they should then not be able to take over enemy provinces in the case of total stealth. If they are only hidden from airplanes then they would remain visible when walking into enemy territory so they could still take enemy provinces. That is why this option has my preference.

As for their argued OP status, I don't really think they deserve this much credit. Commandos are great units but they have plenty of counters to them. Them being researchable at day 8 and taking 2 days to research makes them available at day 10 on a map. Taking 13 hours to train 1 unit at only the capitol with a level 5 IC gives every player a maximum of around 37 commando units around day 30. I have never seen this happen. So I doubt the commando threat is really as big as some claim it to be.