Research Slot - Fast Track

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Research Slot - Fast Track

New

In the 100 games that I play in, the games seem to end in the 30+ day range and it is impossible to research and upgrade everything - which I acknowledge is part of the game strategy. On day 8 people research MT, L2 LT, upgrade their planes etc. On day 16 more of the same...

What if there was a 3rd slot available called 'FAST TRACK' and if you used it, your research speed was cut in half but at the cost of double the resources in order to speed it up?

This would cause considerable variations to the game.

Would you sacrifice other builds/upgrades on day 7 to have enough resources for the day 8 FAST TRACK research for MT's? Late in the game would you FAST TRACK L2 AA so you could then FAST TRACK SP AA?
      How would you manage your resources so you could take advantage of this option?
      If you used it early to make LT's, what would that cost be to your entire economy? Your rares would be depleted and probably would have a challenge recovering from it.
    • New

This has been suggested many times with different ways. My favourite would be to unlock research slots when you meet certain criteria for instance when you manage to capture x amount of victory points. So basically as your nation grows and you control more provinces and are producing more resources you unlock research slots to maintain a linear progression and entice players to keep growing and defend key locations such as cities that are worth more VPs then others.
    • New

Yea, I know. But so far it appears nothing suggested has enticed the decision makers to make a change.
      While many of the gamers would like to see some movement in this area (because it gives greater variation to game play) it seems like instead we get better ocean waves. Almost replaces my hour per day watching paint dry. Smile.
    • New

5 gold would be way too cheap alone, everybody would get it;
      I propose the cost be 1000 gold for an additional slot, available on day 16. This would enable research to be sped up only when needed most.

I disagree that you should give more research to larger nations because that just creates a larger disparity between the quicker and patient players. Just because you're quick doesn't make you more worthy of an increase in research than a patient player.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • New

None of you have commented on the OP's idea, swapping resources for time research-wise. That's NOT the same as having more reserach slots for having a big empire. I think the resource-for-time swap is very interesting, and will prevent the current walk down the same lanes each of us a hundred times now, offer real strategic choices, and provide more battlefield variety and rare units.
      When the enemy is driven back, we have failed. When he is cut off, encircled and dispersed, we have succeeded. - Aleksandr Suvorov.
    • New

My idea and suggestion has nothing to do with gold and exactly to the point Rokossovski is communicating.
      Gold users don't need another slot...they just gold up.
      Players on the other hand would be afforded an opportunity to trade resources for a faster upgrade (not an instant upgrade).
      Bytro has a good product and wouldn't be doing war games if it weren't for gold people buy. (Though having games that had a limit would be refreshing but alas a different conversation for a different day)
    • New

One of the problems I have with just increased resources for faster research is that some playable nations are lucky enough to swim in rare materials and can easily trade to get other needed things when necessary. This would demand changes to the current resource structure that crosses all maps.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • New

Maybe and maybe not...you can always buy and sell resources and the only resource that I believe would be affected is rares. We all have to suck it up when going from L1 IF to L2 IF and then to L3 IF. It's a double jump and hurts like hell when trying to upgrade as many as you can as fast as you can.

And because the 3rd slot would really be a costly option it wouldn't be used a lot. I would sure want to save my rares and try to get the jump on day 16 or 24 with planes!
      Maybe somebody would want to get a jump on making SP AA...lot of options.
      Maybe somebody gets behind due to research completing in the middle of the night. Here is a way to pay the price and catch up.
    • New

K.Rokossovski wrote:

None of you have commented on the OP's idea, swapping resources for time research-wise. That's NOT the same as having more reserach slots for having a big empire. I think the resource-for-time swap is very interesting, and will prevent the current walk down the same lanes each of us a hundred times now, offer real strategic choices, and provide more battlefield variety and rare units.

I agree that more resources for less time is an interesting idea.

So adding extra research slots or modifying the way that research works is a rather major undertaking. Every year there is a period of balancing changes. This means that the database of unit values is tweaked. This will be an excellent opportunity to discuss potential changes such as making research cost more resources but take less time.

Particularly research after day 8 there is never enough time to do much more than maintain planes, a ship, and a couple ground units at the current level before the next round unlocks. It doesn't leave a lot of time for research of diverse units that would be fun to play with.

Take tank destroyers for example. I would build tank destroyers, but I don't have time to research them and keep planes, light tanks, artillery and anti air at current levels, especially after day 16 when we start adding SP artillery and SP anti air to the mix.

I am not saying that a player should be able to research every single unit, but time to do a few more wouldn't hurt.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • New

I find that as soon as I get all the essentials- for me, my "essentials" are interceptors, tacs, light tanks, submarines, tank destroyers and sometimes artillery and anti-tanks- up to date, the day changes and the newest model of the essentials are researchable. Then I have to research the newest level for my essential units, leaving some units I don't use as much, like medium tanks, either unresearched or at very low levels. It'd be great to see another research slot.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel