Can we have a way to delete troops?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can we have a way to delete troops?

I started as Germany in a game, while playing against friends, and I have an army, but I am currently building a mechanized infantry only army (I might throw in something else as well.) Except though I am only making about 10 oil an hour, and only have a few thousand left. I would have plenty if it wasn't for my useless army that I can't get rid of. I'm currently waiting for an artillery to come so I can see if I can destroy my own army. But it would be nice to just delete the army. Anyone else want to be able to delete the army?
    • Yes, sometimes it would be helpful to delete units, but in your case:

- Playing Germany is together, with management of oil problems. The solution is not to delete some usefull (you call useless) units, but try to build your army, without oil consumtion AND try to increase your oil production! Mech infantry cost a lot maybe not the best solutuion in your situation!

- You shoud always think over, what ressourcesyou have, what is the bottleneck ressource(s) and how can you reach the biggest HP/attacking strength/defending strength from that ressource - taking into consideration what kind of units are on the other side, and what is expected to be produced!
    • Firstly I don't know how you are economicaly organised but are all your IC on level 5 and all your infrastructure level 3? Are your naval bases switched off? DId you build IC and infrastructure andmaxed them out in your oïl provinces?

Troops are cannot be deleted, just be carefull with which troops you build. Every country produces other resources so it is important to adjust your tactics to your production.

You cannot kill your own troops with artillery, however you could use the troops that you don't need anymore to attack another player. This way they are gone as well but put to good use.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • I like idea of disbanding troops. Why not?
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • I disagree ..
      .. because without option to delete / disband units there is a greater strategic challenge -- to manage when, where and why you should build which units (and buildings) best (and others better not, or maybe later) keeps this game more demanding.

Imagine, for example, besides the option to disband units we would have also the often desired retreat from battles and, in addition, what is also gladly demanded, an easier and higher availability of resources (just only 2 others of the lot of popular suggestions for improvement of the last Years) -- that means to have the ability to spam units in greater numbers and reequip at will and also to attack and retreat whith them at will -- latest then CoW would not longer be a fine strategie game, but more a trivial clicking game like Pac-Man or Donkey-Kong ..

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • As szinisa mentioned, the game is not about forcefully training the troops you want to use no matter the situation you are in. You have to take your economy into account and train the troops that fit your economic production AND counter the troops your enemy has. The better you are at managing these two things, the better you will perform in the game.

I do not know about deleting units, but I think being able to disband them would be a cool feat (not sure if this is what is being aimed at or not). In some cases better options for the units you already have are available (motorized infantry or mechanized infantry replacing regular infantry for instance). But, the upkeep of maintaining your older units is wearing you down. I think that being able to disband units and get some of the resources back from them would be a cool feature.
    • Even in historical scenarios where you start with certain units that you would never be caught dead researching let alone producing I never felt the need to disband them, I always try to integrate them to the units I build and find synergies.

Eventually these units die in combat as they never get reinforced with newly produce troops of the same type so basically they are phased out over time...
    • Kanaris wrote:

Even in historical scenarios where you start with certain units that you would never be caught dead researching
      *cough* STRATEGIC BOMBERS *cough*
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • I would agree that disbanding units would be a cool idea
      Even cooler would be the ability to upgrade units to a different type - take an Infantry division and change it to a Medium tank (recover some personnel and input some Steel and Oil, cook for some hours and hey presto, newly minted unit appears). Could be a whole set of unit upgrade paths to entertain us. AT -> TD, AA -> SPAA, Arty -> SP Arty, etc etc
    • On the surface it may seem like a good idea but it opens the door wide open to alot of abuse.

Right now unit production is constrained by a combination of different building types and their levels for instance to produce medium tanks you need lvl2 infrastructure and a minimum of lvl1 IC.

What you propose throws this balancing mechanism out the window as I could potentially spam militia at lvl1 barracks and convert to what ever ground unit I want afterwards. Same for air or naval units produce interceotors converting to bombers or subs to battleships.
    • It would certainly have to be well thought out and make sure that this path is always more expensive in total resources than building a unit from scratch. The advantage of such an upgrade path is reduced training time (as your original unit troops will have had the minimal training to become a combat unit in the first place and the reduction in total unit load in terms of food consumption, etc)
    • At a certain point the problem is no longer limited resources but limited production facilities near the front lines, specially for high end troops that require higher then lvl1 buildings to produce them. This is specially true in protracted conflicts where provinces get traded back and forth thus the buildings get wrecked in the process.

So once again being able to spam cheap units near the front that need lvl1 buildings to be produced to then be converted to higher end units even at greater resource cost is flat out broken. Imagine having an ally far away trade you one worthless province with lvl1 barrack and you spam mitia converting them to something else. Thats just one way I have thought of abusing this fictional system in less then 5 minutes give me an hour and I'll come up with a dozen more...
    • If converting troops is less expensive than building them, nobody would build troops normally- they'd just spam militia and upgrade them. If converting troops is more expensive than building them, nobody would convert troops. If converting units and building them cost the same amount, there's no point to converting them at all. Adding in this garbage feature just wastes the developers' time.
    • The whole point about converting is that you can take some units you made early in the game when that was all you could build and convert them to something more useful in later game stages. So the resource cost might be greater but the food cost for maintaining older units of less use would be reduced plus the conversion time to create a new "useful" unit would be shorter. So there is some upside
    • This does not make sense from a historical point of view either. You cannot convert an anti-tank into a dank destroyer, because a tank destroyer is a tank and an AT is a piece of field equipment. You would have to teach the former infantry how to drive and operate a tank, which would make construction time of converting a unit the same as building the unit normally.
    • Jabberwocki wrote:

The whole point about converting is that you can take some units you made early in the game when that was all you could build and convert them to something more useful in later game stages.
      All the troops I make early on are dead by the time I get more useful things. Furthermore, what kind of unit would you recommend I convert my almost-dead armored car into? A light tank that unlocks at day 8? I'd much rather build a fresh new tank than upgrade an armored car into a light tank, especially since it costs more to convert a unit than it is to build one.
    • HLSparta wrote:

I started as Germany in a game, while playing against friends, and I have an army, but I am currently building a mechanized infantry only army (I might throw in something else as well.) Except though I am only making about 10 oil an hour, and only have a few thousand left. I would have plenty if it wasn't for my useless army that I can't get rid of. I'm currently waiting for an artillery to come so I can see if I can destroy my own army. But it would be nice to just delete the army. Anyone else want to be able to delete the army?

Yes, that is a really good idea especially in oil and food.
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell