Capture of Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Capture of Units

A major feature of WW2 was captured units, being use by both sides.What if we could have a limited implementation of this idea in CoW?

Here are the units I suggest one must be able to capture after destroying other armies in the province they are in- aeroplane convoys, rockets, and railroad guns.

Aeroplane convoys are often just lying helpless in captured provinces. That makes them very much vulnerable to being captured. Rockets and Railroad guns on the other hand shouldn't be able to attack units which are at the same location as them. That would allow the attacker to put them in his bag.

Opinions?
      "Klotzen, nicht kleckern!" -Heinz Guderian
    • I agree that this could be a good idea for the game, there would have to be some restriction on what can be captured/how much could be captured/when you could capture the unit. My personal recomendation/suggestion would be to add a special unit that could capture unguarded or lightly defended convoys to keep the game from becoming the most aggressive player wins.
      “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
      Heraclitus
    • I like the idea, but I can see some issues with implementation of this that might have unintended consequences to the game. But if the programmers are able to put in a solution to this as the very fact of capturing someone else's units might cause issues with more advanced units in hands of players that haven't researched them and you could possibly have someone with 3 or more different unit types.

Example: Tac Bombers - researched level 1, that player then captures Tac Bombers that are level 4 and then captures Tac Bombers level 3. This is similar to trades with players that we have and really I guess isn't so much an issue, but when upgrading tech to level 2 then only some of the Tac's would have to be upgraded and it would need to be sure that the others don't upgrade.
      PrinceofHonor
      Senior Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Click here to submit a bug report or support ticket
    • Well, it may benefit good players more than bad as it would be a cold day before I allow my planes to get captured. If someone can capture my unit, then why can't I 'blow it up' to keep it from being captured?
      (Not trying to throw roadblocks but rather look at it from another perspective)
      "Until there are clearly defined and enforceable rules for hand-to-hand combat, there can't be rules in global war. Kill em all!"
    • Just to say that it will create a huge issue with inactive players, that can be hugely abused (also with AI, to a slightly lesser extend).

Apart from that, in more cases than the opposite during WWII the retreating army was completely destroying the armament that they left behind. Especially planes and certainly ships (see Toulon).
    • PrinceofHonor wrote:

I like the idea, but I can see some issues with implementation of this that might have unintended consequences to the game. But if the programmers are able to put in a solution to this as the very fact of capturing someone else's units might cause issues with more advanced units in hands of players that haven't researched them and you could possibly have someone with 3 or more different unit types.

Example: Tac Bombers - researched level 1, that player then captures Tac Bombers that are level 4 and then captures Tac Bombers level 3. This is similar to trades with players that we have and really I guess isn't so much an issue, but when upgrading tech to level 2 then only some of the Tac's would have to be upgraded and it would need to be sure that the others don't upgrade.
      How about, if you try to program it to Tac bombers can only be captured if you researched it and your "scientist" know how to deal with it. I myself find it easy but we would want to give the programmers some help. Also i think that it only applies for players that are non AI because it will be really unfair.
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • RYANWEN wrote:

PrinceofHonor wrote:

I like the idea, but I can see some issues with implementation of this that might have unintended consequences to the game. But if the programmers are able to put in a solution to this as the very fact of capturing someone else's units might cause issues with more advanced units in hands of players that haven't researched them and you could possibly have someone with 3 or more different unit types.

How about, if you try to program it to Tac bombers can only be captured if you researched it and your "scientist" know how to deal with it. I myself find it easy but we would want to give the programmers some help. Also i think that it only applies for players that are non AI because it will be really unfair.
      I would agree to this solution but the unit that would capture the convoys would have to be pretty expensive and id recommend it be unlocked probably around day 20-24 so it can't be abused early on.
      “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
      Heraclitus
    • Cinnashimp wrote:

RYANWEN wrote:

PrinceofHonor wrote:

I would agree to this solution but the unit that would capture the convoys would have to be pretty expensive and id recommend it be unlocked probably around day 20-24 so it can't be abused early on.
      Yes i think it will be a good idea. Moderators? Would that be a good proposal?
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • honestly if i conquer a city and the enemy was already making a unit that i didnt study yet i still get it, so capturing and using one could still work the same
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • RYANWEN wrote:

Yes i think it will be a good idea. Moderators? Would that be a good proposal?
      It doesn' t matter one bit wether we think it is a good proposal or not. We' re just volunteers, running this forum; we don' t have any influence on game development. Many good plans have come across this forum over the years, only very few have ever been implemented. For what it' s worth, I personally feel there have been MUCH better suggestions around than this one.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I did not write it.